New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 July 2012 8:24:25 PM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hey i'm building a hopper for my sluice box, to convert it into a highbanker.

I need to get some lay flat hose. does anyone know where i can buy this from. cheaper the better. i need some 1 inch, and some couplings to connect to high pressure pvc piping.

If any of you guys have some experience with 2000GPH bilge pumps, i need to know how long a length of lay flat hose i need. it is not a high pressure system. at most i might get to a metre elevation from the river. i plan to go into the bank at water level. i don't want to lose too much pressure by having too much hose. so if anyone wants to share what limit they have on hoses on bilge pumps. the bilge pumps do get a bit of flow going. of course it's no match for a petrol pump. i want to try and get set up so i don' need a petrol pump. kinda like the sound of the water more.

i previously got a simple set up with a smaller bilge pump. i was using the clear tubing like people use for beer bongs. it's too rigid esp in the cold.

like some of the commercial jobs i'm going to have a tap. to hose off the boulders under the surface. a lot of the gold is stuck to the rocks. again it's not high pressure but still does the job.

because i'm going in at water level into the bank i always have a shallow depth of water to wash the face as it falls in. this method also gives me a good supply of water if i want to get the highbanker further from the river edge. i just cut in a little platform to keep the head at as little as possible due to the low pressure set up.

while a bit more to set up if you classify right it will work with some fine tuning. not only do i get peace and quiet from engine nose but i don't have to pay for petrol.

after some testing i might look at a petrol powered pump for summer if i find a better paying spot. i'm working on someone's claim so perhaps they will let me work on tribute as they have a hell of a lot of ground. it's not the best paying area but down deeper may be different. worked with the right methods you can improve returns a bit. i did have some luck there in the past. got down into the level of the old miners (a bit of overburden built up since they were there - prob due to the sluicings of high terraces after the initial rush. lots of metal debris - spades forks etc, and in one spot i got down on an old wind dam. was really muddy but a few good chunks among the boulders in the wing dam. i made a couple of rings and got some of these flakes embedded in the rings. (pic attached - the larger gold in the pic is not from that area, only the bits in the rings. the shotover lower down is pretty much flood gold and all pretty small stuff).
File Attachment(s):
ytb8ta7  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 8:32:50 AM(UTC)
ytb8ta7

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
hi. very nice rings you have there. ive had thoughts of getting some made.how much gold did it take to get them made and who did the work? im also in the process of setting up an electric powered highbanker as you describe.dairy farm supply shops such as crt & wrightsons should have 1" layflat hose and couplings.
mygrain  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 8:57:20 AM(UTC)
mygrain

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good morning Simon
don't use lay flat hose on bilge pump, it causes to much friction loss. The 2000GPH bilge pump also has 1 and 1/8 inch outlet, odd ball size so get your self some proper bilge pump hose, smooth bore and flexible.
cheers
Russell
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:24:49 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

mygrain:

i thought that might be the case with the lay flat. it must take a bit to open it up, esp when its cold.

i know the 200gph bilge outlet size is a pain in the arse had trouble with bilge pump outlets in the past.

i have some flexible black hose on a smaller bilge pump, sort of like mini nova flo pipe. great stuff, nice and light, but it easily kinks as its walls are so thin. then where it kinks gets holes.

i'll look at the hose you mentioned. sounds like the go. got to do it properly.

thanks for the advice.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:40:40 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

ytb8ta7:

mate, that's a hard forum name to remember!

i had these 2 rings made up for our wedding rings. this was from my first gold. hard fought from the shotover river, where you are battling severe weather at any time of year (fn hot at one end full of sandflies and blowflies all over the rocks, thru to the present conditions of a shoreline frozen 1 foot thick in ice from the water, thru to the big floods that raise the river huge amounts.

its all flood gold unless you dig a massive pit, which i did several of. i think i may have been the only person to do that for a long time as i got down on some old wingdams way down.

if you get a solid spot there wasn't too much seepage so if you dug a bit back from the bank you could go quite deep. usually you could bucket it out or bilge pump it out.

the trouble was the flooding would make your hole disappear so upon your return all that showed where you had been was a bare patch of smooth sand among the rocks.

the gold was all flood gold so its on the surface. then its basically a void of previously mined stuff that has bugger all gold. below that if you get old workings you may be in luck. other wise its pretty barren. you just can't tell where to dig from the surface.

i think it took 41 grams of gold for my rings. i got some back. they need more they is used. so i have some blobs of 18k alloy. i think it cost about 1275. i heard someone in alex can make a plain gold ring for 180. sounds a bit too cheap but could be. mine had the little flakes soldiered in channels so that adds a bit of labour cost.

the only reason i got into it was everyone thought i was wasting 200 on a sluicebox at the time.i think everyone thought there was no gold out there left. AND i was going to use the proceeds to buy a dredge. haven't got that yet. you really need to have somewhere to use it before committing.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:46:06 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

i forgot to ask if anyone knows where to get furthers highbanker parts.

i need some expanded mesh. i don't want to classify too much, just down to pebbles, so around 15mm?

i'm gonna have a rebar grill on top to screen off all the bigger stuff.

zimbo  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 7:06:51 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
hi simon you might find the 12volt pump is no good for high banking. i used a 2000gph on my first attempt it just didnt have not enough pressure to wash mud, rocks etc.I used a fully charged medium sized car battery and it only ran for about an hour before loosing power. also had problems with not enough water flowing through the box, as for classifying use those steel shelf's found in the earlier fridges, got mine for the tip down glenda drive or outside smithcity. i got my hose from hose supplies in christchurch i think the 1" hose was about $7 p/metre (green suction flexi). you should come round sometime and have a look at mine, you might get some ideas for yours..
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 7:40:29 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

hi zimbo,

yeah, i should come by for a catch up in the weekend.

i have someone sending me down some special spiralflex hose. the outlet on the 200gph is a weird size so most stuff don't fit.

i have had quite a bit of work around previous bilge pump fiascos. i know full well how much lack of pressure i'm going to have.

i have a deep cycle battery. they run for ages. jut takes ages to charge back up!

that's an idea re the fridge shelves. i'm going to be dealing with some good sized rocks on the top level of the hopper so i'm going to use some offcuts of rebar that i have here. the second classify i think i will use expanded diamond mesh that over laps on each bit of mesh. going to have that in the lower part of the hopper.

i'm looking for speed and quantity of paydirt.

hopefully i can get a engine to help the highbanker operation. have to talk to the claim owners first for that though.
zimbo  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 8:56:44 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
im quiet busy this weekend will be fossicking hard out, have got sambo staying with me at the moment, so wont be able to catch up this weekend maybe in the evenings after we get back, you will have problems with the re-bar as it is not flexible enough i found stones get stuck in between and are harder to get out if the bars are too rigid, if you need mesh go to alpine engineering down Margaret street, see scott, there got all sorts they often manufacture sluice boxs, suction nozzles and dredges etc. i also got my hopper sides bent up by them.

picture with rebar is my first atempt.

the pump is a 2stroke, with a modified muffler off a generator (very quiet), run time is about two and half hours before refueling, this is what you need

Edited by user Friday, 6 July 2012 8:19:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

zimbo attached the following image(s):
Highbankder2.JPG
SAM_0185 (2).JPG
SAM_0371.JPG
garrymac  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:10:12 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi Simon, Ive shopped around a bit and found the best for having the hose and fittings--camlocks-hosetails--good clamps, the ones with a bolt to do up,the company is RUSSET ENGINEERING SALES LTD. 56 Macandrew Rd SthDn---034556038..As for having odd ball size fittings I usually make my own adapors to suit, its easy for me, I have my own lathe plus all the usal gear an engneer needs. Last year I cast my own alloy pump for a dredge I was building, its a copy of a HP400 Proline, and plenty of grunt plus heaps of spare. There is another company dealing in second hand gear called RIETVELD W LTD,Machinery Dealer--44 stone st---4536650, they have a lot mesh and punch plate, old steel and a lot more, and best of all they let you have a look around their yard and sheds, you need a trip to dunedin for alook,.. I built my 4 inch dredge for under a 1000 bucks and the boys 3inch cost a lot less, there is photos on past post of dredge. I know how frustrating it can be when you can't find what you want or when you can they want an arm and a leg for it, so thats why I make 99% of my own gear.