New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123
roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 1:53:21 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Flintlock wrote:
roman holiday wrote:

JW

For sure JW, may have to go for the small one... to start of with. Are you still selling a bit of gear in Coro? I'll be over there in a week [will send you a PM], would be good to meet up.... and buy a few bits and pieces.

I think you may be disapointed with the smallest pan. I just bought a Garrett backpacker pan, the smallest and find it a bit too small. Mind you, I only wanted it for panning out the cons but still might get the next size up.

Cheers Flintlock, maybe I'll buy a medium size instead.

Did anyone see "coasters" on TV 1 last night? It showed a local digging down a bit at the beach, then scooping up half a shovel of sand. He then used the shovel as a pan, swished a bit of water, and wallah.... there was a nice little rim of gold standing out. It was pretty cool.

Edited by user Sunday, 30 January 2011 1:55:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Flintlock  
Posted : Sunday, 30 January 2011 7:19:23 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)

"Did anyone see "coasters" on TV 1 last night? It showed a local digging down a bit at the beach, then scooping up half a shovel of sand. He then used the shovel as a pan, swished a bit of water, and wallah.... there was a nice little rim of gold standing out. It was pretty cool.

Saw that. Remember they didn't show you all the work between digging the black sand and seeing gold on the shovel.

I remember a Coaster friend of mine telling me that for beach gold you need to use a shovel to pan it. Not sure of the reason but I think it is because the gold is so fine the action of a pan is too fierce.

Edited by user Sunday, 30 January 2011 7:20:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 Pages<123