New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 14 March 2011 2:46:34 PM(UTC)
criticol

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
HI Dettol.

Read your PMs, (Private Messages)

Cheers Colin.
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 14 March 2011 3:00:23 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hi Dettol,

If you don't get a better offer, I'd be happy to meet up for a scratch in one of the local creeks. I don't have the expertise of Colin or JW but I've been panning for a few years and have learnt some of the things not to do.

Gary
starflash  
Posted : Monday, 14 March 2011 3:11:04 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
be careful this time of year in the coro, dont stray to much from the beaten track and creeks as its gettin near harvest time, and there are a many anxious locals

Edited by user Monday, 14 March 2011 3:11:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2011 1:27:43 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:10:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dettol  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 March 2011 12:40:20 PM(UTC)
dettol

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
kiwijw wrote:
Hi there, Just about any creek in the Coromandel in gold areas will give you colours of gold. Nothing is a sure bet though. Target bedrock or a spot where the bed rock isnt too deep. Luck has a lot to do with it when chasing alluvial gold in the Coromandel.

Happy hunting

JW :)

Thx for the info JW! It's kind of reassuring to know there's a chance of finding something, even if only specs, in most creeks and streams in the old gold fields of the Coromandel.

criticol wrote:
HI Dettol.

Read your PMs, (Private Messages)

Cheers Colin.

Thx Colin! :)

gjj109 wrote:
Hi Dettol,

If you don't get a better offer, I'd be happy to meet up for a scratch in one of the local creeks. I don't have the expertise of Colin or JW but I've been panning for a few years and have learnt some of the things not to do.

Gary

That would be awesome Gary! At this stage, being an absolute novice, I believe the more the merrier! Would be Invaluale to have you come along so I can watch your masterful technique and get some pointers :)

starflash wrote:
be careful this time of year in the coro, dont stray to much from the beaten track and creeks as its gettin near harvest time, and there are a many anxious locals

Hahaha is that right!? It took me a moment to realise what you were referring to and It hadn't really crossed my mind. Thx for the tip!
MPS goldhunter  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2011 7:19:13 AM(UTC)
MPS goldhunter

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Very impressive samples
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 3:04:56 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Hey guys, I recently tried out a spot in the coro but wasn't very successful. It might be from my home made sluice so I am modifying it slightly but could anyone give me a good spot where I will be sure to find some gold? I really want to make sure my sluice is running proper while nabbing some gold in the process.

I mostly got some kind of red sand when I went last time... not really any black sand... is that normal? cheers
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 4:02:02 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Where did you go??
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 5:06:32 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

I went over to Victoria Street near kuranui bay. there is a stream that flows next to it.
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 5:29:18 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

I assume you mean Victoria Street, Tararu. That would be the Tararu Stream. How far up did you go? About 300m up you cross a ford at the end of the tarseal. About 1km further up you cross a second ford. About 1km further up you cross a small bridge. Where did you try? .
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 5:54:34 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Yea that's the stream. click here http://maps.google.com/m...72.0004a97e819651995fc91 . It is just before the budist camp and there is a little siding. cheers
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 8:18:42 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Hi Goldnut,

Had a scratch in that same place a couple of months ago and found nothing. The Tararu has been the most consistent local stream for me. There are no guarantees about finding gold on the Coromandel. You deserve every bit you find. I can usually find a speck or two, or a bit of dust upstream from the second ford. There is a fair bit of exposed bedrock between that ford and the bridge further upstream. If you mulch the moss and scratch the compacted gravel down to bedrock, you may get a speck or two. You should get some black sand. The odd shotgun pellet and a bit of mercury from a crack or two will tell you whether or not your sluice is working. Because the gold will be fine, have the slowest water flow through the sluice that you can get away with.

Good luck, Gary.
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 8:59:57 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

That would be my problem then! I thought that there was not enough water flowing so I switched to a faster spot! I was also looking on the back end of some large rocks (possibly bedrock) where flood waters would overflow. I will definitely try there again and will try upstream.

I also saw a small creek near a bush walk further down. what do you know about that spot? I was thinking about trying that out as well.

Also, there are a few other places in Thames that I want to try out. I have not been there but I can tell from google maps that there could be a stream there. Do you know of any other streams? You have been a BIG help... I am still a novice at this. cheers.

THANK YOU!
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:06:26 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Hi Goldnut,

That small creek you refer to is Tinkers Stream. It is midway between the second ford and the bridge I was referring to. There were mines up Tinkers Gully, but I have not found anything in Tinkers Stream itself. As I said, find the bedrock in the Tararu Stream between those two points and do the packed gravel or mulch the moss. Gold can be had from most of the creeks but usually only by scraping out the cracks. Mind you, it's a good place to develop your technique and your tools. Makes it easier to get the good stuff when you get to easier country down south.
Goldnut  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:41:39 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

That's exactly it! Awesome thanks for that! I will hone my techniques and if i do find any gold in the coro... that means that I will definitively find it down south! cheers for that. And I will hopefully do better next time.
mikey1962  
Posted : Saturday, 6 August 2011 10:27:20 AM(UTC)
mikey1962

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Goldnut Go to Quoted Post
That's exactly it! Awesome thanks for that! I will hone my techniques and if i do find any gold in the coro... that means that I will definitively find it down south! cheers for that. And I will hopefully do better next time.
Hiya, i just joined this forum, I am new to this gold prospecting as well, I recently took a trip to coromandel to try my luck, I tried the wairongamai stream in te aroha and found nothing so I went up to waiomu and tried in the waiomu stream, i made a little sluice out of 6 inch corragated drain pipe, I only put through 10 liters of gravel dug out from downstream side of a boulder on the inside bank of the stream, after panning what was in the sluice In was pleased to find 7 specks of gold and a tiny piece of wire gold, Im sure its gold because ive panned it several times and these 8 specks are always the last things left in the pan, this was right by the car park at the end of waiomu road, an old timer stopped to chat and told me to follow the track up stream to the second side stream on the left, ( about 500m from car park ) he said he used to get a lot of colour about there, I've just made a proper sluice box and can't wait to go back there and put some serious volumes of gravel through it. Good luck, and if you try this area let me know how you get on in this stream or any others you try.
gjj109  
Posted : Thursday, 18 August 2011 9:56:14 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Hi Mikey,

You must be doing something right. If you have a look at the Gold Permits map for Waiomu, http://permitmap.paydirt.co.nz/ you should be able to identify the stream you were referred to.

I haven't tried that one so I wish you the best.

The spur between Paroquet stream and Comstock stream was test drilled in about the 1980's I think. The results used to be online somewhere. From memory, results were as high as 40g per ton. This being the Coromandel, it will probably be some time before a hole gets dug there.

Good luck getting your bit first.

Gary
Muzza007  
Posted : Monday, 29 August 2011 4:47:57 PM(UTC)
Muzza007

Likewise, Im a newbie to this forum, I was wondering if there were a) any fossicking clubs in the Coromandel area and b) is anybody still working (allowed to work) any of the quartz veins of the Coromandel?
blairpeter0  
Posted : Monday, 26 August 2013 1:40:06 PM(UTC)
blairpeter0

New Zealand

Hey Guys,

I'm 23 years old and I'm new to the forum. I've been watching too much Gold Rush Alaska and now I've got the bug. I spend a bit of time up at Otautu bay in the caravan. Never been Gold mining but done a bit of research and brought a couple of pans. I haven't been out yet but I'm hoping to find some colour in the creeks around Colville Bay - has anyone tried this far up the Coro? I'd love some company if anyone would like to join. Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 26 August 2013 8:21:16 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I think the area from Otautu across to Waikawau is the very upper limit of gold bearing rock on the Coromandel. But you could have luck south of Colville. There are heaps of mines at Tokatea on the Kennedy Bay Rd (and amethyst crystals) so the streams in the ranges between there and Colville may be your best bet?
2 Pages<12