New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Saturday, 15 March 2014 8:16:59 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Quite a bit of colour and fines and black sand in the creek / bank in Kaiwarua Station area. Anybody else been around looking in the area?
Member of NZ Professional Hunting Guides Assn , SCI NZ
G-old  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 1:23:54 AM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Theres gold from the top of the haka river down to the old cattle creek school but it takes some finding n theres not alot of it . So it makes sense that its guna be on the other side of the pass / meyers pass that is have done more hunting than golding there but theres a good reason for that , as its easyer to find rocking horses shit than gold up there i only found super fine gold n for the energy spent it easyer to go to better rivers
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 12:42:30 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: andy Go to Quoted Post
are you alowed to shoot the wallabies over here!

hell yes...

And as for the Australian brush tailed Possum... killing them is a national hobby over here.... you want them back?
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 9:12:11 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: G-old Go to Quoted Post
Theres gold from the top of the haka river down to the old cattle creek school but it takes some finding n theres not alot of it . So it makes sense that its guna be on the other side of the pass / meyers pass that is have done more hunting than golding there but theres a good reason for that , as its easyer to find rocking horses shit than gold up there i only found super fine gold n for the energy spent it easyer to go to better rivers

Yes , very good. Same on the hunting side of things , its good not far from Cattle Creek , Wallabys , Fallow , Reds , Pigs etc on one place. Might go have look down Danseys Pass this week , when I get a spare day.
G-old  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 9:31:14 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

think the most of the danseys pass is under claim now days, check the niwi flow meter , depending on the amount of rain they have had ova the weekend it mite be a lil high.
plenty of game to shoot if ya know the right people down there, take ya rod the salmon are on the go down there
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 9:43:30 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: G-old Go to Quoted Post
think the most of the danseys pass is under claim now days, check the niwi flow meter , depending on the amount of rain they have had ova the weekend it mite be a lil high.
plenty of game to shoot if ya know the right people down there, take ya rod the salmon are on the go down there

OK. Know one station owner down there , he probably owns wright in the middle of good gold area. Good blood in the reds down there too , Otago herd. Cheers for the heads up.

G-old  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 9:59:04 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

its a big claim theres been been a few bits n the odt about ,it n there was a few pissed punters down there when it went thru because its most of the river both branches , ive been out of the waitaki for a while now , but yeah it was a big talking point a while back on this site search it on pay dirt it will show a permit map in there some place.
Kaiwarua Station is a long way from any place really not to sure who owns - runs it these days but check with the owners as they did close it to the public a while ago as a guy was shoot n killed n a hunting accident a year or 3 ago n i guess it was not in there interest to have the responsibility of any kind of mis adventure on there land . ill look for the link of the danseys claim in see if i can link it to here ive bin asked to leave a while ago .
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 10:16:45 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Man
New Zealand

No hear about the joker get killed. Was it on a wallaby shoot comp? I hunt on 2 stations surrounding Kaiwarua Stn. Had a aussie client out hunting last year on one of them , he spotted a area in the creek and said ''bugger me , would like to have a look in there for some gold , but all my gear is back home"!!! So been looking a few times but still learning where to look and dig.
big miner  
Posted : Monday, 17 March 2014 8:07:31 PM(UTC)
big miner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i have prospected most of the north branch of the waiho from the forks right up to almost the head. got very mixed results. found only the odd trace here and there nothing exciting. Hunting Guide was the colour you found in the banks of the river or in a side creek.
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Monday, 17 March 2014 8:48:18 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: big miner Go to Quoted Post
i have prospected most of the north branch of the waiho from the forks right up to almost the head. got very mixed results. found only the odd trace here and there nothing exciting. Hunting Guide was the colour you found in the banks of the river or in a side creek.

In the main creek , we were thru more on the Hacca side , next to Kaiwarua Stn. Was a ''S'' bend on the outside corner , high bank with quartz , black sand , and clay layers. Bedrock above the river too. If that means anything . . .
big miner  
Posted : Monday, 17 March 2014 9:47:38 PM(UTC)
big miner

oh yeah think i know where you mean sounds like you were right on the old workings. if only the old timers left us some aye
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Monday, 17 March 2014 10:50:33 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Man
New Zealand

Yeah. Looks like old workings in the area thinking of it now. Done lots of hunting on this place.
big miner  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 March 2014 6:09:39 PM(UTC)
big miner

yes there is even old remains of huts around hard to locate though. is that Kinbrace station youre talking.
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 March 2014 6:49:07 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: big miner Go to Quoted Post
yes there is even old remains of huts around hard to locate though. is that Kinbrace station youre talking.

Ooooh , maybe , not hear that from me tho. Yes. Old stone hut at the base of Mt Aitkin , not far from the saddle of Little Mt Aitkin. Don't know if old gold hut or station hut. Sounds like you know the area. Good place eh.
big miner  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 March 2014 8:02:36 PM(UTC)
big miner

Haha i see. yeah nice place done abit of exploring out there yeah. nice allright better if there was more gold tho haha.
Hunting Guide  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 March 2014 8:51:16 PM(UTC)
Hunting Guide

Man
New Zealand

Yeah , good fun trying , makes you thirsty when u get back home or to the hut!!! Just going to ring the neighbour of this place to book a wallaby shoot. The days getting shorter tho and colder from now on. Reds will be roaring soon . . .
2 Pages<12