New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
JohnA  
Posted : Monday, 10 June 2013 11:44:55 PM(UTC)
JohnA

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Guys

this may sound a dum question to you guys in the know - where is nuggett hunting allowed in NZ?
Can I just go to any river / any public fossicking area ?
What applies where the land is controlled by permits etc?

Any info appreciated.
My friend is getting a gold detector and I already have a unit so we are keen to look for some of that yellow stuff!
thanks

John
digahole!!  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 2:00:02 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
LEGALLY, without a mining permit, you are confined to the areas set aside for public fossicking, or if you know someone with a permit/claim that will grant you access that is another possibility.
goldstalker  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 2:44:00 PM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
just go were ever mate no one polices it at all, just check on the claim map on here gavin has. and see if anyone has the claim to the area you wanna go, im sure if you ask them nicely you will be able to go and have a go. if not pick a nice piece of doc land and go there lol :)
JohnA  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 3:11:43 PM(UTC)
JohnA

Man
New Zealand

Arent the public fossicking areas pretty thrashed by now - what about all the old tailings from the old gold rushes - are those in public fossicking areas?
Does the queens chain rule apply to rivers at all for nuggett hunting as for fishing? Although this seems to be less and less the case these days..
Seems liek its hard enough just to find a nuggett - if there arent even decent areas to start hunting how do people ever find any??
thanks
John
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 3:46:46 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Some fossicking areas will get a bit of gold washed down now and again with big floods/slips etc I think most of the public areas get a good working over though carnt say for sure as iv never been to any...your original question about were you can legally go is simple...only fossicking areas there are no execptions .
but like gold stalker pointed out you could ask a claim owner...if that doesn't work you can just break the law and just go...though id paint those yellow headphones green first !....actually whilst on the subject according to the new crown minerals regime they are going to be tuffer on law breakers wether that is going to apply to a detectorist or panning who no,s but I guess its something one should have in the back of the mind if your in a busy spot were there is likely to be green party members ,shortland street actors and tree huggers !
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 3:46:49 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
As Digahole said legally you need to either have a claim, permission to fossick on a claim, or the public areas that have been set aside for fossicking. LEGALLY you can not hunt for gold on any land (private or public owned) unless it is one of the above. Notice how Legally is stressed......

But to find out where the claims are - go to Gavin's maps here: http://www.paydirt.co.nz/permit-map
To find out what is public land or not have a look here: http://www.walkingaccess.govt.nz/wams/disclaimer?redirect=http://wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.aspx

Forget the "Queens Chain" that has never been legal access in NZ for fishing or for any other activity (it was never officially signed off by the Crown). Instead check out the the WAMS map link above for public access.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 4:14:37 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
like the boys have said you could ask someone with a claim
there are a couple of members that visit my claim from time to time they recon that they don't get much lol
JohnA  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 6:40:52 PM(UTC)
JohnA

Man
New Zealand

this is confusing
public fossicking areas are very small and so are permitted areas for mining and prospecting
there are still huge areas that are not covered by these areas.
Are these all NO GO areas??
if public access is allowed and the area is not a fossicking area or permitted area does that mean metal detecting is not allowed?

thanks for the comments
John
for instance how come people are hunting at Danseys when it has no permits/no fossicking permission?

Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 6:58:32 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Yes that is correct - if you are going after natural gold (nuggets etc). All mineral resources belong to the Crown and you are not allowed to remove them unless you own a claim or it is in one of the small public areas. Officially you can't even pick up a nugget from your own back yard. To confuse you even more, if you are detecting for coins or jewelry etc then yes it is allowed on public land if no damage is done since these precious metals are not Crown owned.

I personally think the rules ridiculous. We own the government (Crown) and thus the NZ public are the rightful owners of any minerals. There should be no problem for hobby fossicking on small scales but unfortunately its one rule to fit all and the rules were designed around large commercial mines and prospecting.

I think you will find that most people won't worry about somebody fossicking for the odd nugget or 2 so long as you are not claim jumping or on private land without permission. After saying that - keep an eye out for DOC and Greenies & if you do do it don't be obvious.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 7:04:52 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Its simple...Fossicking for gold is not allowed outside of fossicking areas unless u have a claim and detecting for gold is fossicking there are no other areas u can do this unless you can go on someone's claim....with there permission...if u want to go anywhere else that isn't claimed its at ur own risk some would say there isn't much risk at getting narked on but I think there to many people who watch short land street for my liking;)...if u wanna bitch about it go to ur local mp
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 7:24:24 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)

This is a police state and you have no rights and there is no where to go really unless it is in the Public Fossicking Areas or you ask someones permission to have a potter on their claim.

We, the people of New Zealand should have some rights to access our own estate but these rights have been not gradually but rapidly eroded and it is high time that the people of new Zealand forced the governments hand to ensure that the old miners right giving the right to fossick for gold on State land is reinstated.

Other than that it could be said that 'all is fair in love, war and gold mining' and you can go anywhere you like as long as it is not private land or a claim providing you are not caught!
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 7:34:38 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Lammerlaw is write .if ur going to through caution to the wind make sure u have a good disguise I used to we're a sheep skin so that way if any1 saw me at the creek it just looks like a sheep drinking now days Iv put some extra condition on so use a cowhide but b warned don't use a dairy breed as those cows are not allowed in creeks but beef are so a good Murry grey or Hereford would do the trick u could glue there ear,s to ur head phones for extra effect ..
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 8:37:18 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Lammerlaw is write .if ur going to through caution to the wind make sure u have a good disguise I used to we're a sheep skin so that way if any1 saw me at the creek it just looks like a sheep drinking now days Iv put some extra condition on so use a cowhide but b warned don't use a dairy breed as those cows are not allowed in creeks but beef are so a good Murry grey or Hereford would do the trick u could glue there ear,s to ur head phones for extra effect ..

You would be thankful that artificial insemination is now the norm, it would have been worrying in the days bulls roamed the paddocks......
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 9:02:03 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post

You would be thankful that artificial insemination is now the norm, it would have been worrying in the days bulls roamed the paddocks......

Geez thanks for pointing that out....never thought of that....hmmm you reckon the bull would be the biggest worry ....I think someone probing upto there elbows would be of concern... no matter how much lube they were wearing lol.
Still ether of those situations would have to be better than being caught by the greenys!

sounds crazy I no but how much did those fallers get fined for using that shitty little dredge on doc land above a fossicking area was it around 200+k !! ??

Edited by user Tuesday, 11 June 2013 9:18:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: put some more thort into my post

kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 9:33:08 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

I prefer to dress up as horse or maybe a stallion its more fitting for my middle name of FALLUS
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 9:37:19 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

The best way to disguise yourself would be cover yourself in mud and wear a loin cloth...people will think youre nuts and stay away from you!! Keith walked up the Luxmore hut barefoot and wearing really short shorts under his swandri( he looked naked except for the swandri) people walked around him really quickly with that startled look...absolutely hilarious. Caz
nafcd  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 9:48:16 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
who is the minister responsible for mining. I wouldn't bother with our local mp. go straight to the top and when I find out who he/she is they will be getting an email asking a few questions. no doubt its been done before but nothings going to change if we don't keep harassing them.
keywikiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 June 2013 12:32:28 AM(UTC)
keywikiwi

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Lammerlaws on the money.If you have a place in mind to look for nuggets have a look on the permit map to see if its claimed,if it is you may be able to contact claim owners for permission to have a dig around.Same deal with unclaimed private land,get permission,but in my opinion you have the right to look anywhere else.Go for gold mate,this is a free country and you should be able to enjoy your new found hobby without any fear of prosecution.
If your wandering up a river or creek on doc land and someone asks what your doing ,ask them why they want to know.If they say that they work for doc and that you cant detect for gold tell them too piss off,if they start getting snarly tell them you are looking for lead sinkers.A doc ranger would have to be really wanky to even say that you cant detect and hopefully these type of rangers are few and far between.

Gold that is procured by the part-time prospector ,whether it be from waving a detector back and forth for hours on end or plunging down into ice cold water and sucking metres and metres of gravel through a home made dredge, is gold that will contribute to our economy.It maybe sold to pay a bit extra on a mortgage,buy a tv,get next weeks groceries,made into a ring for the wife,hell,maybe just hold on to it and pull it out after too many beers to show your mates.

cheers and happy hunting
JohnA  
Posted : Monday, 17 June 2013 2:41:59 PM(UTC)
JohnA

Man
New Zealand

So if i look a the permit map link and look at prospecting permits granted.. there are large areas covered including Macetown. Does this mean Macetown is not able to be hunted for nuggets. It seems to be under Aspiring Resources Limited control.
Am I reading this correctly? So any area with a prospecting permit granted is off limits?
thanks
john
nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 17 June 2013 2:57:58 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
from what I have seen/heard/read as far as gold is concerned, ANYWHERE but public fossicking areas are legally off limit. subject to negotiating with the permit holders.
2 Pages12>