New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 15 February 2014 7:43:44 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
You beat me to it, i was going to post this thread today too.
For sure. If the ear piece has a volume dial then they must be choice. My Garrett headphones have a volume button, i put tape around it because the dial moves and scares the life out of you when bumped on full bore. Usually i hang them around my kneck with the volume on full. This usually suffices for most hunting conditions and is much much more comfortable than your ears being squeezed in all day.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 16 February 2014 11:49:57 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
You can get cheap Moki over ear headphones at the Big Red Barn for $10, they really aren't that bad but of course you will need a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptor (ebay $1.80) and while your at it a volume control (ebay $1.20) so for under $15 your set.

sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 20 February 2014 11:51:09 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
These are the headphones that come with the CF77 -

Just a headsup - Many of you may find the Minelab UR30 headphones are very expensive & absolutely ratshite to use - Flop around on your head & the fold up feature IMO is more hassle than usefulness - For the price ($200) you would think they would have at least a built in volume control -

Now the ones supplied with the MAKRO metal detectors are -
Philips SHP2000 Corded Headphone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item4ac7e5f50b

Now these are super comfortable, have great noise cancelling abilities through their snug fitting ear cups that cover the ears perfectly making the sounds even more clearer - comes with both plug sizes (adapter) BUT no volume control - They are a nice set for the $$

Edited by user Thursday, 20 February 2014 11:53:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 21 February 2014 10:30:16 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Philips SHP2000 $29.99 at Harvey Normans. The long cord can be a pain but they are comfortable to wear. I bought two pair, one for my detector, the other one for the computer. Only get sound out of one headphone now on one set. Oh yes, I bought them for about $15 ea on sale so keep your eyes open.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 11:58:22 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Finds Display shelf

An easy to build finds shelf 1800 high and .900 : .900 wide, approximately .250 thick.
Designed to allow ease when handling or looking at finds.
Build it out of anything you can find then screw bolt or nail it to the wall.
Use wooden chocks if necessary to help fix or brace it to the wall

The dimensions
UserPostedImage

Front view of shelf showing the top being used for storage
UserPostedImage

Don't be fussy, rustic is good
UserPostedImage

HH

Edited by user Monday, 18 August 2014 12:18:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Gold is on the way

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 12:12:28 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Looks good Shane.
Whats in the Jimbo's?

MK

PS: Did you see my email to you a week or two back?

creamer  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 12:26:06 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

All sorts in them containers, nails, bits of boats, rivets, coins bits of everything. Most of the coins (decimals) are in jars on the floor as they soon start to weigh up.

Not by the sounds of things i better go have look.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 22 August 2014 6:11:14 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
All sorts in them containers, nails, bits of boats, rivets, coins bits of everything. Most of the coins (decimals) are in jars on the floor as they soon start to weigh up.

HH

Nice going there Shane. Next you will expand in to your back yard..... & then start a scrap metal yard. I can just see you on TV ......Worlds Greatest Hoarder. LOL :) Yer the stuff soon builds up...that is for sure.
I like your idea of chucking the old decimals down your driveway. LOL :) How about going to your local beach & chuck them back in the sand. You could open your own metal detector supply shop & by sneaking back down the beach at night & chucking a handfull of coins around you will keep the punters busy & happy.
Keep up the good work.

Best of luck out there

JW :)

creamer  
Posted : Friday, 22 August 2014 9:46:19 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Every time i wanted to check out my finds i had to take them out of the containers for a viewing. Soon got tired of that so i built the shelf and put them on it. Best thing i ever did as they're right there to look at.

I remember Lammerlaw telling me not to keep all the space junk and stuff or my place will end up looking like his place! I now know what he means, it doesn't take long to add up. Like you say, i should rebury some of it and charge people to dig it up again..
The coins on the driveway have proved to be entertaining with visitors picking them up.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 22 August 2014 7:24:59 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Variation on the coins on the driveway theme, I throw my junk coppers etc into the compost bucket. These then migrate into the garden and get dug in.
Brings a grin everytime I see one surface while digging, knowing that one day, someone may have a field day here with a detector :)
NUGGY  
Posted : Friday, 22 August 2014 10:48:49 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
My top tip is put a mark on your shoe as long as your coil, try not to take any steps much longer than that, or you are leaving half crescent moon shaped strips of undetected ground as you detect along. NUGGY
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 December 2014 8:36:54 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Milk bottle finds pouch/container

This latest tip is a milk bottle finds holder worn on your belt whilst detecting. I seen someone with one on the local beach and thought it a good idea for myself and have used it successfully on the last couple of outings.
Great for holding all the junky finds because of its size and saves carrying a bucket around.
I wear my slimline pouch as well to put the good finds in.

Simply take a two litre milk bottle and cut away the top leaving the handle to thread a belt through. Very easy to make and very handy.

UserPostedImage

Safe hunting out there.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 18 January 2015 8:24:02 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Hit a swimming hole this morning before it filled up with teenagers later in the day.
Waterproofed the pointer using vacuum-seal bags, except I only squeezed excess air out before sealing rather than use vacuum (which would increase leakage in the case of a pinhole)
As a precaution, I taped around the battery cap and over the speaker and switches. LED got a gob of silicone grease on it....and as good measure a piece of kitchen towel to act as a leak indicator.
Did multiple seals, but realised afterwards these were unnecessary as the first line of failure would be pinging the bag itself in the vicinity of the tip.
I holed the bag after about 20min, but water ingress was very slow and the towel did its job. After another 40min, the towel was damp but no free water. The pointer's been much wetter doing land and beach hunts!

Verdict:
Very good as a temporary waterproofing - Will definitely use it again until I get my hands on the waterproof XPointer.

Pros:
Went repeatedly down to 6' over the course of an hour with no major leaks (obviously you don't want to go grubbing around with it)
Bag allows easy operation of buttons
Floats
Cheap submersible pointer

Cons:
Have to be aware that any contact with rocks or gravel could pinhole the poly
Keeps one hand occupied hanging onto it (could probably tie a cord around it)
Pointer vibration tends to attract curious eels!

MW

Edited by user Sunday, 18 January 2015 8:41:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle attached the following image(s):
waterproofing.jpg
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 18 January 2015 2:37:51 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I am currently using the same method on my X-Pointer to stop it from breeding with my retired GPP :))
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
andy  
Posted : Sunday, 18 January 2015 2:50:23 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
^^^ lol ^^^
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 January 2015 4:21:21 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
mmmm....interesting, so you all keep the junk you find? when dredging I tend to keep the gold and thro all the old musket balls, bullets, shell cases, shot away. Never thought of buying McDonalds for the boxes to store the dross in :-).
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 January 2015 7:37:27 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Come on now Dave.....dont tell me that you dont keep all your crap finds?? Here is my last weekends haul from out detecting. All that lead has to add up to be worth some thing.....& all those brass shell casings.....

UserPostedImage

LOL :)

JW :)
Golddigger7  
Posted : Friday, 23 January 2015 8:14:13 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

ok, I did keep the musket balls... but the rest all went west. Its just the wifey has been training me to be neat and tidy and not to keep 'junk' that gathers dust :- )
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 23 January 2015 9:22:07 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
thanks for sharing your tips
just don't seem to get the time to use the detector to busy dredging
got a couple of days off and the weathers hot so off I go again . the problem on the coast is there is so much junk in the ground but when I get old and the dredge is to heavy to work well the detector will be able to be got out
Golddigger7  
Posted : Tuesday, 3 February 2015 2:01:32 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Hey JW, just had a look at that pile of junk you got in ur pan.....u havnt been going thru my tailings have you? Thought we had already talked about that, I'm so Dutch, you wont find any gold left in them :-D
2 Pages<12