New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 2:46:55 PM(UTC)
criticol

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
gavin wrote:
In my defense I was just doing some shameless self promoting of my other site - www.topomap.co.nz and nothing more.

Didn't realise you were using a name of a mountain range until Colin shared his links, then got curious myself about where exactly Lammerlaw Range was. From your nickname on the site I can only assume your property must be on / near the mountain range. Anyway - that's for you to share / not share as you see fit. I think sometimes it's too easy to read the wrong intentions in to someones reply ;)

Just happy to see nice postings of nuggets to inspire me to get out there more myself. Bit of an effort sometimes being based in Christchurch on the wrong side of the island :P

====================================

HI Gavin and Lammerlaw.

Gavin, thanks for this input as it mirrors my thoughts exactly!
User names and nicknames can convey a lot of informations of a persons attitudes,intents,and locatory presence,Etc.

Lammerlaw, Hello mate.

Do you think that I want to discover your gold farm?

Hey! Im 73 years of age,(I guess that about matches your age too?)

And that qualifys me to be as cantankerous as you.

So, Im not going to travel a couple of thousand kms to meet you,or to Steal your So coveted gold.

Apart from that I have just been diagnosed with in-opperable lung cancer,
and started Chemo last tuesday, so I deffinitley wont be coming for a visit anytime soon---If ever!
Guess I swallowed to much quartz dust in my earlier yrs.

By pointing to the ranges location, I was setting the Lazer sights on the exact Location of your farm--wasn`t I-- I dont think so.

I know your going to jump up and down over this post, but thats just going to shore up your own egotism isn`t it?

No offence at all is intended, as if I was still healthy and mobile, I would have loved to have met up with you, as you were at your crest in my days.

Like me, you too can make a lot of double talk.

Many regards and respect---Colin.

P.S I too have looked at the ranges in the old days! so i would guess that you are up on the tops somewhere, where the nuggets were found close to the surface. Nice easy findings with a modern detector!

ANY BODY LIKE A MAP?

Edited by user Thursday, 2 June 2011 2:52:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 2:53:32 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Sorry to hear your bad news Colin - hope the chemo does the job - doesn't sound much fun at all! My thoughts are with you.
starflash  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 3:10:42 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Lammerlaw wrote:
criticol wrote:
gavin wrote:

Hi Gavin.(Hello again)

Just posted those map links as sometimes a more simplified one can show the general locatory surounding areas of where you want to go, before you consult a more specialized map like the topos for exactly where to go.

Many Regards from Colin.

An awful lot of country there - I sit here amused at those who place maps on as though they are trying to put my profile name and the nugget location to a map.
Seems rather...childish to me...sorry but thems my thoughts.
I do note that there have already been emails sent to at least one member of the forum seeking information leading to my property and thus I place this notice publicly and with regret that I feel I need to do so.
'Any person found on my property will instantly be served a trespass notice and their name will be notified as a warning to all land owners thus jeopardising their chances of getting access to country they otherwise would be freely able to work on with the blessings, I am sure, of the land owner. I will also take proceedings against any person found on my land seeking compensation based on my personal records of gold recovered for the duration of the time they were suspected to be on the property'

To those who can do their own thing, who do not try to impose themselves on others, who do not break the law relating to trespass and who follow the code of ethics commensurate with good practice I profusely apologise.

I feel very sorry that people should see fit to impose themselves, should question or attempt to locate where I mine and where the nugget was found which are actually two different locations and it makes me think twice about sharing the many hundreds of similar photos taken over the years. Human nature doesnt seem to change!

UserPostedImage
criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 3:57:31 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hello Starflash.
Greetings!

You seem bored with the off base topics of the forum.

If they were were all strictly of a gold topic, you would really get bored after you had gleaned all the info you could absorb after a time!

Dont tell me that you haven`t "CULLED" info from this site that you didn`t know before?

Sometimes you younger guys amuse me, because you dont realise how tough it was for us older fellers to gather infos etc, in our day, and then graciously remember it, so we could pass it on to you, so that tradition does not die.

And, especially remember! that we did not have all the "MOD" cons to do the "AMAZING" prospecting that we achieved, and we thought that we were cleaver, WE just forgot about the fellers that went before us.

I think that a bit of banter now and then, keeps this fossicking site alive by adding a bit of "GUSTO" to the posts.

This site has really blossomed in the last year, because its interesting, informable, and sometimes just "BITCHY",= a good mix of opinions etc.

If the site didn`t have this mix, it would languish away in the back ground!
Check out some other sites and see how many posts (READERS and REPLIERS)
that they are clocking up in such a short time.

Regards---Colin.

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 5:25:34 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I don't know... I like starflash's injections of humour - I think he's right not to take it all too seriously ;)
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 5:54:25 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
criticol wrote:
gavin wrote:
In my defense I was just doing some shameless self promoting of my other site - www.topomap.co.nz and nothing more.

Didn't realise you were using a name of a mountain range until Colin shared his links, then got curious myself about where exactly Lammerlaw Range was. From your nickname on the site I can only assume your property must be on / near the mountain range. Anyway - that's for you to share / not share as you see fit. I think sometimes it's too easy to read the wrong intentions in to someones reply ;)

Just happy to see nice postings of nuggets to inspire me to get out there more myself. Bit of an effort sometimes being based in Christchurch on the wrong side of the island :P

====================================

HI Gavin and Lammerlaw.

Gavin, thanks for this input as it mirrors my thoughts exactly!
User names and nicknames can convey a lot of informations of a persons attitudes,intents,and locatory presence,Etc.

Lammerlaw, Hello mate.

Do you think that I want to discover your gold farm?

Hey! Im 73 years of age,(I guess that about matches your age too?)

And that qualifys me to be as cantankerous as you.

So, Im not going to travel a couple of thousand kms to meet you,or to Steal your So coveted gold.

Apart from that I have just been diagnosed with in-opperable lung cancer,
and started Chemo last tuesday, so I deffinitley wont be coming for a visit anytime soon---If ever!
Guess I swallowed to much quartz dust in my earlier yrs.

By pointing to the ranges location, I was setting the Lazer sights on the exact Location of your farm--wasn`t I-- I dont think so.

I know your going to jump up and down over this post, but thats just going to shore up your own egotism isn`t it?

No offence at all is intended, as if I was still healthy and mobile, I would have loved to have met up with you, as you were at your crest in my days.

Like me, you too can make a lot of double talk.

Many regards and respect---Colin.

P.S I too have looked at the ranges in the old days! so i would guess that you are up on the tops somewhere, where the nuggets were found close to the surface. Nice easy findings with a modern detector!

ANY BODY LIKE A MAP?

Hi Colin

I have to be honest and say that I like what you say - the devil in me likes people to guess - they can guess for all they are worth!

You and I both know that 40 years in an area doesnt leave behind what you have taken out and that those who would like to muscle in are always going to be sorely disillusioned.

Yes I would have liked to have met you as well - I am mobile but not so healthy - I have my problems as well and even this weekend coming up have reservations about what I can or cannot do.

As for my own property, it isnt a farm - I am no farmer - its just a tract of land I once brought to protect my rights to go hunting and goldmining on without the hassle of having to request permission from others and so I had somewhere to go when the political system made it hard for good old kiwis to go places which indeed is the case now.

I am not quite as old as you but into my 60s - I like the cantankerous part of what you say - that might be why lots of people think I am an...am I aloud to say it on here? It is better they think that.

No I dont covet the gold - only giving my son and his friends a fair go as I have had my turn a long time ago. Long past my time and yours there will still be gold here. I am more than happy with what I have got BUT I do reserve the right to choose who I show the pathways to...I am sure you will understand that.

Much of what I have said above is tongue in cheek - Im an enigma and a paradox, easy to get on with and yet hard to get to know but always decidedly impossible for 99% of people to knoe what I may be thinking, how to take me or what I am going to do next.

One of the reasons I did come onto this site was that at my age I do know of many areas I shall never work and never have been worked except by the first miners. The knowledge of these places is more or less lost and only known to me because my partner was from one of Otagos better known gold mining family and he knew and shared those sites. I had intended sharing them with others as it seemed the right time but have decided that a public forum is not the place to do so as I dont think I would be interested in sharing with some here...especially bored ones!

If you ever get down here then look me up - come for a ride with my son and me (Did I write that?)- hes the detector user...I had a senior moment when I paid $7500 for a metal detector when I am as deaf as a post!

I note your comment comparing us with the newer generation - I worked extremely hard for what I got but my son thinks that if he doesnt get half an ounce a day then it was not worth while and he never works at it - all he does is run around going beep beep!

Hope the Big C problem doesnt transpire as bad as what they make out. I just had a friend go through the same thing. Hes 72 and has spent much of his life in the mountains - had a major op but when I visited him recently he was sparking on all cylinders and although he told me he wont be climbing Mt Cook again he aint down and out yet so fingers crossed for you.

Edited by user Friday, 3 June 2011 7:38:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 6:31:15 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

gavin wrote:

Not on the wrong side of the island by a long shot - just in the wrong part of the island.

I do however beg to differ - my property is to share exactly as I see fit...no more, no less...let it be said that it is the whim of the landowner as to who can go onto a property especially freehold (There is NO such thing as true freehold in NZ)and who cannot go onto a property...here in New Zealand such is the system and the way it works - the bad side is obvious, the good side is that one can deny access to anyone whom they deem obnoxious...I always was controversial...but also generous and more than one person has left my property with some good gold and also left our claims when we had them with good gold...
I find this forum a very interesting one - great for getting to know people, those who maybe could become friends and those who wouldnt get a foot in the door. It works both ways - its a grand way to sum up others by what they say and how they say it and to know who you might be able to trust and those you dont wish to take a chance with!

Edited by user Friday, 3 June 2011 4:16:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 2:49:41 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Lammerlaw.

GREETINGS. That took good old fashioned guts to say those things.

I had given you every reason to try to shoot me down in flames, I deserved it.

I know your old mining stock, as I have an uncanny ability to READ between the lines of what people write.(acquired over the years of body languages, words and meanings etc.)
All what you say in regards to everything that you did say, rings plenty bells and whistles to me, if I could have bought land back then, I would have done so for exactly the same reasons you stated!!!!!
And your "Also" right about us old fellars knowing of good spots that we passed on, or over from, which conditions being favorable,could be passed down to other members.
I’m a bit tired now,(forgot my sleeping pill, so got up to take it.)

Believe me mate, I would really love to met up with you and your kids, to swing a detector or swish a pan or two.

I like a guy with honesty, integrity, and a good sense of straight talking habits, even if this means just a little bit of bull now and again.

And you know, and with respect to you again, after all that degrading banter, you offered to let me visit, without even knowing that I can be a real bustard at times.

Many, many, thanks for that.
I wish I could oblige!

Many Respects again---Colin.---Cheers Mate.
===============================
P.S. The below quoted part/ post from you, describes myself to a---“T”!!!!!

To quote you:
“I always was controversial...but also generous and more than one person has left my property with some good gold and also left our claims when we had them with good gold...
I find this forum a very interesting one - great for getting to know people, those who maybe could become friends and those who wouldn’t get a foot in the door. It works both ways - its a grand way to sum up others by what they say and how they say it and to know who you might be able to trust and those you don’t wish to take a chance with! ” Unquote.
Bye for now.

Edited by user Friday, 3 June 2011 2:51:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

garrymac  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 3:51:03 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Lammerlaw wrote:
gavin wrote:

Not on the wrong side of the island by a long shot - just in the wrong part of the island.

I do however beg to differ - my property is to share exactly as I see fit...no more, no less...let it be said that it is the whim of the landowner as to who can go onto a property especially freehold (There is NO such thing as true freehold in NZ)and who cannot go onto a property...here in New Zealand such is the system and the way it works - the bad side is obvious, the good side is that one can deny access to anyone whom they deem obnoxious...I always was controversial...but also generous and more than one person has left my property with some good gold and also left our claims when we had them with good gold...
I find this forum a very interesting one - great for getting to know people, those who maybe could become friends and those who wouldnt get a foot in the door. It works both ways - its a grand way to sum up others by what they say and how they say it and to know who you might be able to trust and those you dont wish to take a chance with!

criticol  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 4:08:12 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hey Garrymac.
The arse-end fell off your post?

Cheers---Colin.
garrymac  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 4:14:18 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Hi all,and TO LAMMERLAW re eldorado track there is a lot of interesting country up above your private playground THE access is alot easier up on the top without having to venture down the bottom reaches THOSE paper roads up there are very tricky until you get your head around G.P.S THE best thing since sliced bread to find an alternate route around finicky and garrulous landholders Its such a shame the road gets shut up for ordinary law abiding folks Never mind the snow will be here soon and the water is to cold now to spend the hole day in a suit Roll on summer May you all spend the next few months in gummies finding some colour
digger37  
Posted : Saturday, 4 June 2011 11:48:55 AM(UTC)
digger37

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Nice lazy nugget lammerlaw.....thanks for showing the pic!

More nuggets and less tapping on keyboards guys..... :-)
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 5 June 2011 3:47:55 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Gavin,

nice work with the topomap site.

also been using the permits map on paydirt a bit as it seems almost daily new claims are popping up.

great now we can search via permit type but is it possible to still have a "view all types" button? would save having to view the same area and have to zoom in each time when i type in different permit types.

i see a bit of talk in this topic in regards to paper roads. is there some way you could make an overlay of these for some of the countryside?

i'm sure this would be a great tool for not only us gold seekers but also other user groups such as fishermen, hunters, etc, whilst keeping us all on the right side of the law.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2011 4:30:43 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

garrymac wrote:
Hi all,and TO LAMMERLAW re eldorado track there is a lot of interesting country up above your private playground THE access is alot easier up on the top without having to venture down the bottom reaches THOSE paper roads up there are very tricky until you get your head around G.P.S THE best thing since sliced bread to find an alternate route around finicky and garrulous landholders Its such a shame the road gets shut up for ordinary law abiding folks Never mind the snow will be here soon and the water is to cold now to spend the hole day in a suit Roll on summer May you all spend the next few months in gummies finding some colour

I KNOW that you GPS has NO relevance as to access - I KNOW that the gate is locked and I know that people access via a hole in the fence!!!Have you ever realised the implications of roadspikes hidden in the tussock, of being caught by the owner next door. As I stated above the paper road runs alongside my boundary - so what? You can WALK it but you cannot drive it in any vehicle whatsoever, not even a motorbike. Swamp. through waist high tussock, through flax bushes and across a water race and straight up the side of a mountain. If you are such a whizz kid with your GPS you will also be aware that NO wheeled vehicle can access the neighbours via the paper roads and keep within the bounds of that paper road...proof of that lies is the fact that a phone call the other day requested the use of one of my 4WDs to pull a vehicle out of where it was...and that was unsuccessful!

If you are the type of trash who would infringe on the rights of landowners then YOU are the type who make it tough for honest peoples chances to get entry because landowners get anti public when elements from Joe Public get on their high horse...I am not saying you are but you manner of writing and what you say do not impress. Are you an 'ordinary law abiding folk?' Your considerations here might indicate no!

The two roads on to the mountain are also NOT paper roads. It is impossible to access the mountain by vehicle legally using paper roads. You might be right about ease of access on the tops once you get there BUT.... Also DOC and the neighbour would love to catch anyone accessing their properties with any form of transport without their blessings.
simon  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2011 5:05:17 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

garymac:

looks like you need the services of a helicopter and pilot. thats how its done round these parts.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2011 5:19:57 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

simon wrote:
garymac:

looks like you need the services of a helicopter and pilot. thats how its done round these parts.

Now tell me exactly what that would achive? a person who really knows the ins and out of goldmining would not be so childish as to say such inane things - if I thought a helicopter would pay dont you think I would make use of one - Duh!
Not only that but do you think a helicopter operator would take a risk of accessing a property unlawfully. Dont you think I dont employ the helicopter operators to do work for me occasionally, dont you think they talk - if you really think your idea is so good then you are indeed a shallow person. No helicopter pilot would risk his licence to access DOC or the neighbours or my place without ratification from the affected parties...think about it!

Edited by user Monday, 6 June 2011 5:33:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2011 5:39:33 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

lammerlaw,

sorry to offend, was just a joke to garrymac.

i know the ins and out of helicopters too. pricey, and you can't just land where you feel like it.

time for a new topic tread i think.

simon.
garrymac  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2011 5:54:18 PM(UTC)
garrymac

IM NOT about to start a bitch fight with you on this forum or any other form of media but suggest you go back reread everthing you have writen and maybe rethink the way it is put.As far as your land is concerned, it is of no use to me as a mining site as i don,t need the agro of your type. I,ll share.Thanks AS for choppers dont need them but have very good access should the need arise for moving myself or gear. Check the rules very cearfully before making comment what happens in a rescue misson,Mr Gale should be able to enlighten on the go thanks for the reaction.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2011 6:03:56 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

garrymac wrote:
IM NOT about to start a bitch fight with you on this forum or any other form of media but suggest you go back reread everthing you have writen and maybe rethink the way it is put.As far as your land is concerned, it is of no use to me as a mining site as i don,t need the agro of your type. I,ll share.Thanks AS for choppers dont need them but have very good access should the need arise for moving myself or gear. Check the rules very cearfully before making comment what happens in a rescue misson,Mr Gale should be able to enlighten on the go thanks for the reaction.

You hit the nail on the head - 'a rescue mission' and you and I know that a rescue mission is in no manner whatsoever associated with the ferrying or carriage of a person for the express purpose of trespassing nor to collect a person who has been or is trespassing...IF a rescue mission was called to any property then rest well assured that it would be reported by the pilot to the police and action taken accordingly where and if appropriate - you wrote an inane comment - not me so I suggest that you reread what you have written.
I have no cause whatsoever to think about - I was not the childish prig who named where my property is to try to prove his 'superiority' but indeed only proved his lack of maturity. Think about it. Any person with an ounce of maturity would smile to themselves knowing to where they think I am referring but they would keep their mouth closed.
I can also guarantee that the nugget did not come from within 20 miles of my own property - if it did then it would not have been displayed on here...I am not quite that stupid.

Ironically enough that photo was the first of quite a few I had decided to place on this forum but sadly due to the attitude of those greedy enough to covet the places others go it does not seem appropriate to share them

Edited by user Monday, 6 June 2011 6:11:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

garrymac  
Posted : Monday, 6 June 2011 6:13:17 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Thanks for the insight I will keep smiling knowing that gold can be found anywhere it shouldnt be Enjoyed your last stand at rock show so please keep up the good work
3 Pages<123>