New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 November 2013 6:50:12 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Yeah well I guess what I was intending to do was a little naughty but at least I had no intentions of removing nor taking ownership of any of the gear there. having said that I did take the motor home to give it spruce up but it beyond easy repair so bought a brand new one. Life goes on, it wasn't my gear to begin with. I'm not losing any sleep over it. Just a set back time wise lol Anyone got a power jet and jet flare for sale?

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 November 2013 6:51:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 November 2013 7:37:11 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
At least you did the right thing and at least TRIED to contact the owner-these fu&%ers just steamed in and took advantage.
You have no idea how much that pisses me off.

Ill be keeping an ear out...
x-terra steve  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 November 2013 8:15:30 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Nice last post Hatter,
thats about where I am at,
Can give you details of a power jet for a 4", home made but works well, got a few spare parts that you be welcome to have.
cheers
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 December 2013 9:24:40 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
wow, and the real kicker will be when that actual owner turns up for his summers dredging to find that his gear is stripped. Still it is a sign that nothing is safe out there, someone had there gear ripped off at Arrowtown last year.
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 December 2013 2:42:13 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

And guess what, last night between 6pm and 830 am the pontoons, power jet, jet flare and sluice box disappeared! Made may days dredging remarkably hard! Funny thing is that my gear that I had sitting next to the dredge was left behind. Now if only I knew that it was the owner that took them id be happy. I doubt it tho.
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 December 2013 2:42:20 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

And guess what, last night between 6pm and 830 am the pontoons, power jet, jet flare and sluice box disappeared! Made may days dredging remarkably hard! Funny thing is that my gear that I had sitting next to the dredge was left behind. Now if only I knew that it was the owner that took them id be happy. I doubt it tho.
FossickFester  
Posted : Wednesday, 4 December 2013 3:52:33 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Sorry to hear that hatter. At least they left your gear eh. Hope you find out one day who got it. Will keep an eye out for ya. (so will a few others on this forum i think).
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 5 December 2013 6:20:01 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
I went back to dredge today and imagine my surprise when somebody had taken sluice box inserts power jets and jet flare along with a weight belt!!
Also a nearby tool chest had been opened and the contents unceremoniously dumped around (something I'm sure the owner of the gear wouldn't do!). I think in future I will not be posting about such matters.

Gday Matt, Yes you are right. Shouldnt have posted about it & made some scum bag aware of it. Best if you had just kept it to yourself & gone down the path you did to try to contact the owner without any body else knowing about it. By putting it up on the forum you advertised the fact that it was out there for the whole world to see & the world is full of opportunists & someone took advantage of that. Now someone has lost there dredge through no fault of their own .....except that they left it out in the bush. So I guess it was just a matter of time.

JW :)

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 5 December 2013 7:09:24 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
As I read it, Hatter hadn't actually disclosed the location on the forum before the first lot went missing. Which likely narrows it down to one of the original people he mentioned it to in his attempt to locate the owner...?
simon  
Posted : Friday, 6 December 2013 8:23:46 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
this whole thing sounds as suspect as when my mate got his dredge nicked last summer.

i'm betting someone close at hand knows about this.

as pointed out whoever it was must have known where exactly is was. great to say it was on X creek but if someone simply picked up on this it would be a bit of work to rush in and actually find unless it was sitting somewhere stoopid like in view on a track.

i'm thinking the someone is on this forum. hell, there's 1400 registered members but how many non members trawl this site? AND, how many of the 1400 contribute?

i reckon someone in the valley itself probably owns the gear. maybe they don't want to be caught out as those involved up there?

to me it sounds like a bit of a slog to rip off some gear that been sitting in the bush for ages.

maybe, just maybe the gear has been hauled further up? hatter, did you notice any boot prints etc? usually a dead giveaway, esp if carrying heavy stuff out.

hope however has it now can get it to work for their troubles lol.
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 29 December 2013 9:48:48 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
hell, there's 1400 registered members but how many non members trawl this site? AND, how many of the 1400 contribute?

Not a reliable number - lots of disabled spammer accounts in there ;) But get your jist!

goldstalker  
Posted : Tuesday, 31 December 2013 6:31:16 PM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
moral of the story take ya shit home at the end of the day lol if you leave gear in the bush exspect to lose it. it all comes down to having the energy to take gear in and out and end of a hard days dredging, i know people shouldnt take stuff blah blah but give them an inch they will run a mile. ive learnt my lesson a few times. lol but ive learnt it, never ever leave gear in the bush, even if you own the claim on a river still not safe. hope it all works out anyway and ya get some nice gold :) im still waiting for the rivers weather etc grrrrr hurry up im hanging to dredge
2 Pages<12