New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

cariboo  
Posted : Sunday, 22 December 2013 8:35:00 AM(UTC)
cariboo

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all can anyone help?

Am thinking about building a small 2 inch suction dredge. I have a 1 inch pump @ 150 litres p/min will this provide enough water for decent suction
Any help or ideas much appreciated. Merry xmas to all have a golden one!
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 22 December 2013 9:11:29 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
my question is... do you have somewhere is mind specifically for this small dredge?

sounds pretty small. ok for a small bit of shallow bedrock but if you want to move some dirt you might need something a bit bigger. i think with this you will be unable to move the bigger stones and some may jamb it up. go bigger - less jambs, move more, find more gold. only downside is cost and bigger/heavier to carry.

if you stick to this make sure you have a decent engine at least. you prob want as much suction as you can get for shallow cracks and blasting out crevices if you add a hose connection.

i've got a 2 stroke for my little 2.5 inch dredge but its pretty loud. think 4 stroke is the way to go.

all depends if you want to go cheap, or build something decent. build it decent and you can always sell it one day if you tire of gold. if you have time there are decent engines and pumps appearing now and then amongst the crap on the likes of trade me. even put a word out of here may help for second hand gear.

good luck.
cariboo  
Posted : Sunday, 22 December 2013 12:29:19 PM(UTC)
cariboo

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi simon thanks for your input...yes it is only a small shallow stream that is quite rich about 30-40 colours in a test pan with a couple of bits about match head size.
Was thinking of putting a guard of some sort over nozzle too stop blockages and weight is also an issue as it's a hour or so too walk in...
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 22 December 2013 12:29:58 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
The 2 inck Keene uses a Honda GX50 and a p90 pump with flows 100 gallons per minute to 50 m head... Max.

2 inch is a good portable to get into remote areas and get into a few crevasses.

Edited by user Sunday, 22 December 2013 12:33:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified