New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 18 January 2014 8:08:56 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Gavin, Happy new year to you.
Mate.....I wasnt having a go at you about my checky little comment but I know from personal experience about having gear that I have had stached in the bush go missing. Ruined my day & I just had to turn around & got back home again & make a whole lot more. I had sluice box, crevicing tools, suction pumps, view finder, gold pan, Sieves, buckets etc & the whole lot was gone. I guess I was lucky & found it exactly one year later but not after having to go to the hassle of replacing it all. Some one had taken it quite a bit further up stream (in the Coromandel) & I stumbled on it purley by accident. But my frustration when I went back to use it after I had stached it a couple of weeks earlier only to find it all gone was quite up setting.

I see on the forum about Zimbo's 2 dredges going missing....then Hatter did a post about that dredge stached up the Waka....& then that went missing after being what looked like it had been there for quite a while.
I have come across gear stached all over the place in my travels & have never made mention of it on forums as there are always scumbags out there who will take advantage of that & flog it. Hatter obviously knew of some of that gear you came across as he & element used it but then being the decent blokes they are put it back.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you see gear in the bush just keep it to yourself....dont advertise the fact, its location or show photos of it & hopefully it will still be there when the "owner" tramps back in there to use it & they wont have to experience that gutted feeling if it aint there no more.

Best of luck out there.

JW :)

Edited by user Saturday, 18 January 2014 8:11:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Saturday, 18 January 2014 10:00:32 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
well put jw. my thoughts exactly. nothing worse than spending ages walking in somewhere to find the vital little something you need not there anymore. even if it's just a 89 cent warehouse bucket, that could be what breaks your day.
that gear of ed's has still not surfaced but over time i'm sure it will show up somewhere, repainted, separated or whatever. he knows how to identify it and it sure is a small world these days. guess the bright side of all that is he's moved onwards and upwards with bigger better gear. the bad thing was one motor was basically brand new.
madsonicboating  
Posted : Saturday, 18 January 2014 10:02:25 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
awesome pics and story Gav...wish I had the resources to plan and do a trip like that...one day lol
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 18 January 2014 10:55:16 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FossickFester Go to Quoted Post
Thought pinedale was closed?

Yep, unfortunately it is :( But caught up with a mate up there who knows the owners so got permission to stay.

Originally Posted by: x-terra steve Go to Quoted Post
Cheers for the pic's and info Gavin, nice to see you up this way,
As for the naughty boy comment,
I recound the humble old grasshopper will have more of an idear were the gear is ????
Happy new year all,
Steve

Was hoping to bump in to you up there as Paul's mentioned you a few times ;) Maybe next time.
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 18 January 2014 11:02:21 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Regarding gear stashing... no worries - I take what you're saying on-board. But to be safe I'd recommend hiding gear a little better if worried. The items I found were easy to spot - didn't really go looking for gear, just happened to spot them while working my way up the water way.

I also stumble upon a lot of gear, some of it obviously not used for a year or more. Quite funny thinking that you might have been the only one exploring a spot in ages, then stumbling upon equipment that proves otherwise :P

Edited by user Saturday, 18 January 2014 11:03:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Pages<12