New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
bittenbythebug  
Posted : Thursday, 6 February 2014 8:29:05 AM(UTC)
bittenbythebug

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Very nice work, I will have a GB 2 turning up next week for a trip to the West Coast at the end of the month. Hopefully I have the same luck!
bittenbythebug  
Posted : Thursday, 6 February 2014 8:29:15 AM(UTC)
bittenbythebug

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Very nice work, I will have a GB 2 turning up next week for a trip to the West Coast at the end of the month. Hopefully I have the same luck!
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 6 February 2014 8:39:19 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: x-terra steve Go to Quoted Post
Nice one Gavin,
that be some fine looking gold!
That big nuggie would have made ya day,
well done dude
Cheers
Steve

It certainly did! Was found towards the end of a very poor detecting day so perked me and my friend right up. Friend actually found a few other big ones near by (not as big though) and I found another few wee ones. He'd just given up for the day but quickly swung back in to action after that find! :P

Originally Posted by: murraycooke Go to Quoted Post
I must admit every time I read about the waka trips I wonder how far up river you guys are going and on who's claims you may or may not be on .
I think its been said that research and asking can go along way

Think you might have replied to the wrong post, but let me assure you that as far as I could tell from my printed out bit of claim map and signs nailed to trees etc. me and the other two chappies I met from these forums where not venturing on to anyones claims. But I am now curious for future reference if detecting above the water line next to someones claim is okay as the dredge will never get up there?

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
Well done Gavin. Very nice finds. It is great when you uncover a pocket of gold that has numerous bits in it. Congrats.

Best of luck out there

JW :)

Cheers mate. Yeah, couldn't believe the pocket - it just kept on producing and producing. Probably still a few more small nuggets hidden away in there that I missed I'd guess. Next time...

How have you been doing down south? Hope you're still having fun finding a bit of colour down there ;)
exkiwi123  
Posted : Monday, 24 February 2014 12:40:10 PM(UTC)
exkiwi123

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
HI GAVIN just a warning to any one bringing in a detector into nz either new or second hand Landed at dunedin airport had declared a ctx 3030 which i had bought 5 weeks earlier with the reciets and also my return air ticket to aus customs go hold of me and demared $750 gst on it They reduiced that to $370.35 which i have know idea why SO be carefull on returning to aus i went to custom house in dunedin and they said to show customs at the airport DETECTORS on there list is not shown as requiring gst// so if retuning from aus with a detector /parts inquire from them and if need be get a letter from them saying if gst is owing or not and why?? Because i cannot tell why and just becareful of dark headed custom women in dunedin airport??????? on arriving home in coffs harbour a check arrived for $370.35 thanks custom //// anyone wanting to buy a ctx 3030 about 10 weeks old because i will be coming back to nz because of a brake up in the marriage and will be heading back up to luggate central otago in about 8/10 weeks so if anyone is interested contact me also saw kiwi jw in wanaka and his wife what a nice couple will be contacting jw if you are reading this when i get back mate need to get out a lot if you are interested??? will be looking to buy a gpx 4500/ 5000 when i get back and also looking a buying a 4x4 desiel about 2003/2007 low klm also 14/17 foot caravan ar uond 2003/2007 model must be insulated with awning thanks ex kiwi 123 contact [email protected] .au
Foiled again  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 February 2014 3:27:36 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Hi Gavin, I reckon that's a spectacular week away!
I have a dream of getting away bush for a good 5-7 days and I would be pleased with half that. Quarter that. One good nug haha! Well done man. I think getting of my arse researching an area, getting permission etc if req is the hardest hurdle I'll face to getting into action. Gotta get cracking....!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 28 February 2014 8:34:45 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Well done Gavin. Very nice finds. It is great when you uncover a pocket of gold that has numerous bits in it. Congrats.

Best of luck out there

Cheers mate. Yeah, couldn't believe the pocket - it just kept on producing and producing. Probably still a few more small nuggets hidden away in there that I missed I'd guess. Next time...

How have you been doing down south? Hope you're still having fun finding a bit of colour down there ;)

Hi Gavin, Yer doing ok down south here in QT area. Had some snow today up in the hills. Sure did turn cold. I have the heat pump on as I reply. Still getting out in the weekends & getting a bit of colour.

Last weekend: 24 bits for 7 grams

UserPostedImage

Best bit 1.3 grams

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Waitangi weekend finds: 19 for 6.5 grams

UserPostedImage

Biggest was 3.5 grams

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Weekend before Waitangi weekend. 9.08 grams

UserPostedImage

Biggest. 5.11 grams

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

So yes....the colour is still coming in.

When you get back to that pocket. Take a gold pan & process all the digging dirt. Dig out the hole/crevice as much as you can & process it all. You may be gobsmacked at what you get. I recall 3 pockets that I detected first off & the thought of what may still be in the dirt that the detector wasnt picking up on. I went back & ended up getting more weight in fine gold than the gold got with the detector when I processed the dirt with pan & water.

Good luck out there

Foiled again  
Posted : Saturday, 1 March 2014 9:51:00 AM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Awesome going JW. Looking at those makes me think theres a big nug in there somewhere for ya!
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 1 March 2014 2:16:34 PM(UTC)
gavin

Some very nice looking gold there JW! I'm actually down fighting in Wanaka night of 15th March (amateur Muay Thai fight). Hoping to extend my stay by a day or two and do some detecting while down that way. Would be great to catch up for a drink if you're keen?
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 2 March 2014 1:06:51 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
wow great finds gavin..go he goldbug..lol...would love to have a week like that.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 2 March 2014 11:19:01 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
wow great finds gavin..go he goldbug..lol...would love to have a week like that.

Cheers :) How have you been getting on down south? Lots of easy access gold spots? ;)
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 2 March 2014 1:01:27 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Some very nice looking gold there JW! I'm actually down fighting in Wanaka night of 15th March (amateur Muay Thai fight). Hoping to extend my stay by a day or two and do some detecting while down that way. Would be great to catch up for a drink if you're keen?

Hi Gavin, How about a detect & a drink. I have a couple of spots in mind where we could do both. LOL :) Be good to catch up.

6 hours of detecting yesterday resulted in just one tiny .22 of a gram bit. :( Better than nothing I suppose.

UserPostedImage

Good luck out there

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 2 March 2014 7:28:49 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Gavin, How about a detect & a drink. I have a couple of spots in mind where we could do both. LOL :) Be good to catch up.

6 hours of detecting yesterday resulted in just one tiny .22 of a gram bit. :( Better than nothing I suppose.

Good luck out there

I will try my best to take you up on that - will flick you a PM to make sure you have my mobile ;) Preferably not the spot you spent 6 hours for .22 of a gram! :P (though saying that, I'm always happy to find any gold ;)

I will try my best to get over to Queenstown early on Sun so I can get out and have a detect with you, BUT... being that I've not been drinking while training for the fight and it is my b'day I'm guessing there's going to be some drinking involved after the fight! So might be best to have a plan B where I try and come out to meet you at a spot if I'm delayed. We'll swap numbers anyway!

Cheers - and looking forward to catching up one way or another!

2 Pages<12