New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages123>
nafcd  
Posted : Friday, 16 May 2014 9:22:21 PM(UTC)
nafcd

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
is the public area accessible after the big storm and how is access to the creek. has anyone been to the derelict dredge shown on the paydirt permit map section. is it worth going for a look and can you get to it without 4WD. thanks and looking forward to lots of answers. just been reading the book 'a place called moonlight'. very interesting. didn't realise there were so many huge nuggets pulled out from there in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Edited by user Tuesday, 20 May 2014 5:00:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 18 May 2014 11:01:40 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
The Moonlight was always known for its large nuggets. It is amazing what you find out by doing a bit/lot of reading & research. I think you will find that book is titled "a PLACE called Moonlight. It is rumoured that a nugget much larger than the "Roddy" from Ross was found there but was broken down & smuggled to Australia to sell there to avoid paying the gold tax. Rumoured to of been about 134 ounces.
Cant help you with your other questions but the Moonlight is a great place to get in to & I am sure you will get some gold if you know what you are doing. Are you detecting of sluice boxing? Either way there is gold to be had. I love the place....as do many others. Just pick a window of fine weather & go for it. A 4x4 would be more desirable to be safe but it depends on the condition of the track. Tree fall can be a problem so take a chainsaw. Best to go in there for a few days to make it worth while.
The derelict bridge is probably the one the army blew up on one of there exercises in there. Really derelict now LOL :)
Good luck if you head up there

JW :)

NUGGY  
Posted : Sunday, 18 May 2014 10:43:11 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
There is a derelict dredge shown on the map, but it is on private property - and it has been stripped by scrap metal dealers etc over the years and there was not much left of it 20 years ago when I last saw it - not worth the effort.
There are a number of locals and visitors who spend a lot of time in the Moonlight area mining/fossicking and somehow they still seem to find a bit more, I had thought it was thrashed to death about ten years ago. Rumor has it that the first guys in there with detectors did very well, and again when the new Minelabs arrived some great nuggets were discovered. They were having to cut down trees to get to some of them, which doc sort of frowns on.
Didn't know the army had blown a bridge, but it was probably the one I thought no-one else knew about, and I might have been able to score somehow one day, damn.
It's an interesting area that is a great adventure spot, and against all odds always has the potential to give yet another nugget.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 19 May 2014 8:28:58 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Gday Nuggy, How you doing mate :) I camped up in the moonlight for 5 days a few years back when I was traveling back to the Coro from being down in QT for a few months. It was the forth time I had tried getting in there & was hampered the other times by bad weather & tree fall. I fell in with a crew who were pretty much "living" in there & doing very well just sluice boxing for gold full time. There was one of them who was using a gold bug who wasnt one of the main crew but he was finding a bit detecting. The guys sluice boxing were very on to it, as you need to be when doing it for a living. DOC wouldnt have been very happy with there methods but that is why they were pretty successful.
I can just imagine the success of the first minelab detectors that got in there. I spoke with Jack Lang, a well known Australian detectorist/prospector, who said he did very well on a trip to the moonlight back in the early minelab PI days. Not just in the moonlight either.
A friend of mine was talking to a mate of his who at xmas time found a 6oz nugget on the main walking track to the swing bridge. Got a real loud signal & thought it was just going to be an old horse shoe or some thing similar. Kicked a rock out of the way & there gleaming up at him was the nugget. Didnt even have to dig for it. I wonder how many people have walked over that sucker.....I know I have & I had my GP 3000 with me but wasnt detecting up the track but heading further up. DAMN.
I got a few bits though for the time I was in there.

UserPostedImage

This is a piece the guys got in there sluice box

UserPostedImage

You will notice on the left hand post a handfull of bullet shells that I picked up off the road just in that area that was from an army exercise that they had in there a few months earlier. This the full time crew had told me about & they also told me about the bridge being blown up by the army as the bridge was unsafe.
They were ordered to get out & dont come back for a week. When they did come back one of them got a few flat tires from bullet shells piercing his tires. Take nothing but photos & leave nothing but foot prints......Rules for us & rules for them.......

Good luck out there

UserPostedImage
nafcd  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 May 2014 5:09:35 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
The Moonlight was always known for its large nuggets. It is amazing what you find out by doing a bit/lot of reading & research. I think you will find that book is titled "a PLACE called Moonlight. It is rumoured that a nugget much larger than the "Roddy" from Ross was found there but was broken down & smuggled to Australia to sell there to avoid paying the gold tax. Rumoured to of been about 134 ounces.
Cant help you with your other questions but the Moonlight is a great place to get in to & I am sure you will get some gold if you know what you are doing. Are you detecting of sluice boxing? Either way there is gold to be had. I love the place....as do many others. Just pick a window of fine weather & go for it. A 4x4 would be more desirable to be safe but it depends on the condition of the track. Tree fall can be a problem so take a chainsaw. Best to go in there for a few days to make it worth while.
The derelict bridge is probably the one the army blew up on one of there exercises in there. Really derelict now LOL :)
Good luck if you head up there

were looking at going for a couple of days but only have 2wd and no chainsaw so might leave it until after winter. I would just be sluicing at this stage. detector in the future. thanks for the comments and you were right about the book . its 'a place called moonlight'. dam interesting read especially the first half that was mainly about the gold areas and the characters that lived there.
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 May 2014 5:51:25 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Hey mate, I have not been to the moonlight since the storm but even if you have to walk from half way in its not too far to go. I've done it before. A creek worth a look too is garden gully. It joins the moonlight near the current road bridge. Good luck
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Dan  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 May 2014 7:03:32 PM(UTC)
Dan

New Zealand

I was up there hunting a few days ago and the road is open at least to the bridge. Just some rough bits and the odd puddle but would get a car up there no worries. Wouldnt get a 2wd up garden gully though.
Aotea  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 May 2014 8:00:47 PM(UTC)
Aotea

New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Everyone should be mindful that Garden Gully is held under a couple of MPs, so you would want to get authority from the owners. There is a number of quartz reefs and tunnels up there (with sinkholes in the floor straight down so be careful) up in the bush too along with a hermit living up the first big trib on the true right off garden ..have found some wierd stuff up there such as historic greenstone mere, jars of money, clothes etc..

would be cautious up that way to be fair.

I know a spot say 10m x 10m where a huge nugget rolled off a screen too big to fall through and be caught. the miner watched it roll off in front of me and they tried to recover it to no avail...

Edited by user Tuesday, 20 May 2014 8:02:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldgrab2000  
Posted : Monday, 11 August 2014 12:12:31 PM(UTC)
goldgrab2000

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hey I tried to get to moonlight a few days ago but very large tree across road and no chainsaw. Does anyone know how often this road is cleared..? I would assume that doc would maintain the road..?
I'm very keen to check this place out and if anyone thinking of heading in there soon with a large chainsaw I would be keen to meet and help clear it off the road...this tree is a real biggie :) will probably head back in about a week for another look, or sooner if anyone's keen.
Thanks
nafcd  
Posted : Thursday, 2 October 2014 9:28:19 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

has anyone been up to moonlight lately and if they have has the big tree goldgrab was talking about been cleared.
digahole!!  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 November 2014 10:53:02 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I was up at moonlight today, the road is open all the way up to Andersons flat. The foot track is reopened also. The bush is getting easier to get through now that all the dead fall is easy to break. The downside Doc has been dumping 1080 all over the area from the 21st of October and was toady as well. Its on the walking track after the 1st swing brigde. Its in the water left and middle branches. So if you go, you may want to take your own water. I found one small piece with the detector 0.080 of a gram. I couldn't stand the chopper operation for another day, so I walked back to the car park, shooting the goats I saw to save them suffering a horrible death. Peace and quiet. YEAH RIGHT!
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 6 November 2014 6:32:39 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

G'day Digahole, Thanks for the report. What detector are you swinging/ Cheers.

Good luck out there

digahole!!  
Posted : Thursday, 6 November 2014 8:09:52 AM(UTC)
digahole!!

Good luck out there

Hi JW, I have a gpx4500, I had the 10x5 inch mono on at the time. The "nugget" was that small I had a hard time finding it on orange bedrock.

Talking to one of the regulars up there, he said he got 3 ounces from the beach, on the other side of the first swing bridge. It looked like he had moved a lot of rocks to do it though.

Best of luck to you also.
Jacko  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 9:18:44 AM(UTC)
Jacko

New Zealand

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digahole!! Go to Quoted Post

Good luck out there

Hi JW, I have a gpx4500, I had the 10x5 inch mono on at the time. The "nugget" was that small I had a hard time finding it on orange bedrock.

Talking to one of the regulars up there, he said he got 3 ounces from the beach, on the other side of the first swing bridge. It looked like he had moved a lot of rocks to do it though.

Best of luck to you also.

I would happily move a lot of rocks for 3 ounces!!!

Really looking forward to getting some more promising colours etc to help justify investing in a metal detector.
I feel I should improve my skills and get some more product before investing toooo much money in it!!
digahole!!  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 10:09:16 AM(UTC)
digahole!!

I never saw the "three ounces". I did see the amount of rocks he had moved, so you never know.
nafcd  
Posted : Friday, 30 January 2015 6:23:12 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

many fossickers up there
Greg  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 April 2015 11:20:33 PM(UTC)
Greg

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Here is me (in the hole.......and yes still digging....) and mate having a great time digging and sluicing in the magic Moonlight earlier this year.
File Attachment(s):
nafcd  
Posted : Thursday, 23 April 2015 1:18:50 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

have you got much out of it
Greg  
Posted : Friday, 24 April 2015 11:04:58 PM(UTC)
Greg

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hey Nafcd, Yes we got some nice flashes in our sluice and then pan. Nothing big though ....but regular little flakes. Heres one of the pan outs and some large wetas we saw up the Paparoas a bit further - in one of the quartz/gold mine tunnels. The Moonlight is a absolutely magic place on a good day......but sheesh it can catch a lot of flippin rain in rough weather!

Edited by user Friday, 24 April 2015 11:08:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nafcd  
Posted : Friday, 24 April 2015 11:13:42 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

have to be pretty happy with that wee haul. well done
3 Pages123>