New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 27 September 2015 5:41:47 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aotea Go to Quoted Post
Everyone should be mindful that Garden Gully is held under a couple of MPs, so you would want to get authority from the owners. There is a number of quartz reefs and tunnels up there (with sinkholes in the floor straight down so be careful) up in the bush too along with a hermit living up the first big trib on the true right off garden ..have found some wierd stuff up there such as historic greenstone mere, jars of money, clothes etc..

would be cautious up that way to be fair.

I know a spot say 10m x 10m where a huge nugget rolled off a screen too big to fall through and be caught. the miner watched it roll off in front of me and they tried to recover it to no avail...

I want to go in on foot with a metal detector, and camp in the bush. I don't have a gun or vehicle.
Do you think I'll be okay? (Do I need a gun?) Do you think they'll mind if I put my detector to work in the river? I tend to keep to myself, not keen on being near anyone.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
spud  
Posted : Sunday, 27 September 2015 5:29:52 PM(UTC)
spud

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The old hermit that lives up there mite take a fancy to ur preddy Jafa lips id be very cautious entering the bush by your self anywhere along the coast
nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 28 September 2015 12:46:25 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
just play it safe and go to the public site. its big enough to find a spot where you can be on your own
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 28 September 2015 6:01:36 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
there are a lot of crazy bastards like me on the coast . yes carry a gun and a spade so as you can dig a hole to put the body in . pays to also have a good hunting knife for gutting the victim. some times we are to heavy to drag out of site.
by the way do you have 6 fingers and play a bango. I might want to tie you to a tree and make you squeal like a pig

good luck out there
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 28 September 2015 8:12:46 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Haha Hahaha
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
digahole!!  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 September 2015 8:28:26 AM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gold and guns. Like apple pie and ice cream. Never separate the two.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 September 2015 12:50:46 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digahole!! Go to Quoted Post
Gold and guns. Like apple pie and ice cream. Never separate the two.

Waaay off topic, but for some reason this fired up a seldom visited (for good reason) area of my brain and it spewed forth this:

Des was a gold miner
Hard and gnarly, rough as they come
This was HIS patch of river
Any intruders got a faceful of crumbs

For Des was heavily armed
with stuff to protect his block
He was packing strudel and cupcakes
Ice cream, cookies, scones and chocs

Now, Henry was new to the block
A lean, lanky lad from the town
He'd heard the tales of Des
And the rich turf he owned

The locals warned him enough
Of Des and his pastry
But Henry was too enthusiatic
Hungry for gold, Reckless and hasty

Ignoring the townsfolk pleas
Henry grabbed his kit and headed out
Keen to swipe some nuggets of gold
from under Des' protective snout

He hid in the bush and watched for days
As Des panned and sluiced
The yellow stuff, his fortune to make
And in the evenings, watched as Des would bake.

Henry glimpsed the pantry one morn
Long-Range pastries, Anti-personnel buns
Des was armed well, no doubt
Croissants and muffins, Explosive with crumbs

He seized his chance one day
as Des shovelled gravel down below
Henry snuck into the camp
and dealt a savage blow

He swapped the sugar for salt
He exchanged the baking powder for talc
Marg for butter and flour for chalk
Then back into the bush he skulked

That night something wasn't right
As Des started his nightly bake
His Pavlova wouldn't rise
His pastry wouldn't flake

Ahh, buggrit - Brain's dried up.
Someone else will have to continue the story :)
Hatter?
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 September 2015 10:15:42 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Ah ha

The Tale of Des and Henry of the Moonlight. Indeed a tale from days gone by. Flying Pavlova's at 10 feet, scones hitting tree's.
Ole Des was a bit of a funny buggar, but when you got to know him. Instead of throwing his baking at you. He would invite you into his hut, make ya a real nice cup of tea, and put out the most delicious spread you have ever seen. Till some bastard tampered with his baking necessities. And then bloody ole Des kinda lost the plot for a while. He actually made his own hand grenade to sort out bloody lurking Henry. He got an empty Baking Soda Tin, put in a good charge of Baking soda, added a few nails and pebbles. Then crept on Henry one day. Gave his grenade a good charge of water, banged the lid on, and threw at Henry. Suffice to say Henry survived the Baking Soda bomb. So back to his hut Des went.

Now where did I hide that dynamite. I'm gunna get the bugga for once and for all.

More to come I guess.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 September 2015 5:35:27 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Des crawled under his bunk, when he got back to his hut. I think I put my gelly under here somewhere. He finally found his old biscuit tin, which he called his serious munitions department. Opening it, he found all he needed. His fuse and detonators, and many sticks of dynamite. On examining his gelly, he was delighted to see it was sweating. Bloody good that, he reckoned. Its matured nicely. One stick should do the trick, I reckon. So he inserted a length of fuse in the detonator, crimped it with his teeth. And then using a sharpened twig made a hole in the stick of gelly and inserted the det and fuse. Right she's ready to go I reckon. So he creeps back to where Henry is working in the creek bed. Hides behind a giant rimu tree and plans his attack. He had cooked a giant scone, and inserted the device in the scone. Right, she is ready to fly. Taking out his vesta matches, he lights the fuse and hurls it down to where Henry is working.

Henry hears a thud right next to him. Turns around and spys the scone, buggar he is getting a bit serious now, thinks Henry. He has got a sputtering fuse hanging out of his scone. It must be one of those explosive scones I read about, that the Kiwi troops used in World War 1, in trench warfare. So he picks it up and biffs it back up the bank. And of course it lands right next to Des, where he is hunkered down behind his mighty Rimu. And so the fun started, Silly ole Des had put a pretty long fuse in. So he picks up the gelly and biffs it back down. Well it was game on. Back and forth it goes, as the fuse slowly burns down. Only one man can win here. He who has the last chuck. Well it wasn't Des's day again. Henry got the final chuck, seeing that the fuse had burnt down into the exploding scone. Des was outa luck. No more throws for him.

Taking the scone he rammed it in a root hole under the giant Kauri Tree, and took to his scarpers as fast as he could. Not that he could scarper very fast, for in the heat of battle he had shit his pants, a carry over from days in the trenches. So it was more of a lurching type scarper. But he managed to get out of the blast area. Of she went, Kabooooom, the mighty Rimu quivered, rose a foot or two, then settled back down. But then slowly it began to lean, and its root base began to leave the ground. Liftoff was underway. The mighty rimu was off on its voyage of discovery.

It was a short flight, and instead of achieving orbit, it fell across the creek. As the dust settled Henry who had taken cover. Yelled out in glee. Hah ha you silly old bugga, you have just made me a bridge across the creek when it is flooded. Why thank you.

Des sulked all the way back to his hut. There has to be a way he thought.

To be continued.

The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 September 2015 7:38:05 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

The following day, Des had a visit from the District Nurse, yep she traveled the Moonlight Trail by Draft Horse caring for the sick and elderly. She was tough of nature but had a caring heart, and a compassionate nature. She was aware many of the gold miners up the Moonlight had served in World War 1 and in many ways had become recluses, shunning city life and even people. But she had a way with Des, that had overcome him.
She always got a lovely cup of tea and a lovely spread. No flying explosive scones or hard baked Pavlova's for Nurse Maude, she was always greeted with a gruff hullo, but ole Des always melted under her magic spell, but he always called her Nurse Maude, such was his respect for her.

Poor ole Des, he had arthritis and many other aliments as a result of his service for his country in France. He received a small war pension, which Nurse Maude would deliver to him fortnightly. Plus on her Draft Horse she always had a saddle Bag, reserved especially for ole Des. Well we know what it contained " Dont' we" his Baking needs. Sometimes as they discussed recipes, they were just like two old women at the local market at times.

Nurse Maude in passing mentioned to Des, on the way up here I called into a young fellows hut, just to see how he was. His name was Henry, " Do you know him" Nope, never heard of him replied Des. Well do you know tomorrow is Christmas Day Des, and its also Henry's 30th Birthday.
Fancy having a birthday on Xmas Day. Mmmmm thought Des, I have another plan already forming. Oh Im not much into birthdays Nurse Maude
said" Des. I thank you for your visit and the provisions you have bought me.

Now I feel like Baking, why of course said Nurse Maude, it is always such a pleasure to visit you. Des waved to her on her Draft Horse as she left to return down the valley to Blackball.

Right he says, time for me to bake a sponge, a birthday sponge complete with candles hehehehehe.

Every young man deserves a treat on his birthday.

To be continued.

PS Don't even try and guess where this story is going, only I know that. It will have a happy ending. Enjoy the journey with me
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 September 2015 10:44:50 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

So after Nurse Maude left Des baked his sponge. And that is a mean feat in a camp oven on an open fire but Des had crafted his skills in France. Out came a lovely sponge, bouncy and soft. Yep she's a beauty Des remarked to himself, that should do the trick. Now out to my goat to get some milk, I need cream. Trouble is Des had two goats a Billy and a Nanny. Well he was a bit short sighted, and that night he had sucked a few whiskeys. Nurse Maude always put two bottles in his special saddlebag. His medication she used to call it. Well bloody ole Des went out with his bucket, and candle in the dark of night, to get his cream. Well you guessed it, wrong goat, wrong sex. After several attempts at tit pulling Des ended up on his back, a bloody great billy goat with horns as long as your arms standing over him. Glaring at him. Oh Damm so sorry Harold, he muttered. I thought you were Nurse Maude, for that is what he had named his female goat. If Harold could talk, he would have said, oh you silly ole bugger. But he was a kind goat and forgave Des for his inappropriate behavior. Nurse Maude was much more kindly, and soon Des had his bucket of goats milk. Makes the best cream in the Moonlight valley, always said Des. Nectar of the gods, No wonder I called her Nurse Maude. And she ain't to bad either. But I will have to leave her to a younger man.

So he beat his cream, and finished his sponge, man that's a beauty he cried. A work of perfection. That should take that rascals eye, or both. This is war. Poor ole Des had the demon in his heart at that time. But it was not his fault so forgive him as you shall later learn.

Right two sticks this time, should give the sponge a bit of flavour. So he hollowed out the sponge and inserted two sticks of dynamite, the sweating stuff. But cunning ole Des before he put it in the sponge, had done the det and fuse thing. But cunningly he had, coated the fuse in candle wax and used food colour to disguise it. He put 23 candles in. They all had wicks. Right he thought thats gotta do the trick.

Early next morning Des snuck down to where Henry was about to start working the creek. He left the sponge on a large rock, high enough to stop the weka's getting up there. I know that young rascal will smell a rat, he thought. But my Landmine Sponge might just tell him to get the hell outa my creek. I have no wish to take his life. I have taken to many in my younger days. I just want to be left alone. That is my way .

To be continued>

AT PRO HUNTER  
Posted : Saturday, 3 October 2015 9:27:00 AM(UTC)
AT PRO HUNTER

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 7 post(s)
HANGING OUT FOR THE REST HATTER
The Hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 3 October 2015 6:45:14 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Well next day was xmas day, and all was quiet on the Moonlight Creek Front. Des was feeling a little under the weather, after perhaps to many whiskeys the night before. Henry as usual was down in the creek searching for the elusive yellow metal. Late in the afternoon after a days sluicing, he decided to call it quits and retire to his cabin. And as darkness fell over the peaceful valley, candles were lit, and people let the xmas spirit fill their hearts. Henry looked at his sponge. Hmmmm well, lets see what the ole buggar has been up to. So with his old carving knife he separated the sponge, and had a poke around. Oh dear dear me, this isn't just any old sponge, its a Jelly Sponge, and with cream. Now where has the old prick hidden the fuse. Oh dear dear me, its disguised as one of the candles. The cunning ole buggar. Wherever did he learn these tricks.

I think its time I visited Des, after all it is Xmas day and my birthday. Maybe on Xmas day he is a little more approachable. So I shall go see.
Taking a butter box he placed the sponge in it, and a bottle of whiskey he had, tucked away. Hi ho Hi Ho, its off to Des I go, he sang as he walked up the track carrying the butterbox. Finally he arrives at Des's hut. Yep he is still awake, I can see his flickering candle. So Henry knocks on his door. Who is it Des yells out. Why its Father Christmas, yells back Henry. I have bought you some Xmas treats, and a bottle of whiskey.
Well at the mention of whiskey the door flew open. Oh shit Des says, its you. Buggar off, begone with you. But Des it is Xmas day and we should rejoice and make merry. Have you no heart, no compassion. Many years ago, I did said Des, but I left that behind at the Front in France.

Des, paused and his eyes gazed skyward, remembering his fallen comrades. The moon was full, and Moonlight Creek gurgled quietly in the valley of its home. They both stood there, as if time had stood still. Then Des said, when we were on the Somme, at Xmas the Bosche or Jerry as we used to call him. And us would call an armistice. No more shelling, no more shooting. No more hatred. Xmas was a day of peace. And so it shall be here on this special day. Come in my young friend, and we shall celebrate Xmas together.

To be continued
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 4 October 2015 5:50:12 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Well Des and Henry started tucking into the firewater. They toasted the Queen, they toasted Moonlight Creek, they even toasted Des's two goats. Oh they were very merry indeed. On this night they were friends. Tell me Des asked Henry, when and how did you get into explosive scones and other form of exploding baking. I am intrigued. Well Des said, it started in the trenches, in France a few years back now.

After the Xmas Armistice day, we found that that Hun, were pretty much like us. Fighting a war that was going nowhere, all young men as we were, the same thoughts that they were defending their country. When in fact we there because of tyrants whom only wanted power. And we were merely the pawns in their hand to achieve that, or defend. When we met in no-mans land on that day, we shared our photo's of our loved ones. I guess we were really all just young men doing our duty. The only difference was we wore different uniforms.

Well after xmas day was over, the shelling and shooting started again. Neither of us had any choice in the matter. Orders were orders. Obey or it was the Firing Squad for you. So shot and shell it was once more. Whilst on front-line duty, there was no cook, it was look after yourself. Well I had always loved cooking and baking since I was a young boy. So for my platoon I became the cook. Not that we had much to cook with or rations, they were hard times indeed. But we managed.

One day I cooked up a lovely batch of scones, they were beauties. One of the lads, said we should share some of these with Jerry. Well I said who is going to volunteer to walk across no-mans land with a tray of fresh baked scones, drop into their trench, have a nice cup of tea and then stroll back. Damm you poke your head outa our trench, and a Hun sniper will have you in a second. Well said one of the lads, we could make up a catapult, we all wear braces, so if we bind them together, we can make a pretty big shanghai or catapult. Well what a great idea. So we made one. And started firing scones over into the german trench. It was a bit of a laugh, as our trousers kept falling down. One of the lads said we should all climb outa the trench and give them a kiwi brown eye. I said, any volunteers, gladly there were none. A hun 9mm round in your bum is not a good look. And the Officers will think you were retreating instead of charging.

So we started experimenting, pavlova's tended to fly to bits mid air. Scones and Dampier were the best missile of choice.

Well bugga me days, about two hours after we started our aerial bombardment of good ole kiwi tucker. We got some incoming from the German trench. German sausage and brown bread. We ate well that night, as they did. So it became a dusk thing. Shoot at each other all day and then trade food at dusk.

To be continued
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 9:27:51 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Got myself a handgun I'll wear on display to deter any nutters up at Moonlight.
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, 5 October 2015 9:30:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chrispy  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 October 2015 3:24:39 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Got myself a handgun I'll wear on display to deter any nutters up at Moonlight.
UserPostedImage

Just be aware that displaying a handgun weather real or fake in any public area will most likely get you shot by police if not definatly arrested. You would be better to have a shotgun or an assult rifle slung over your shoulder, or both lol. Least then you would look more like a hunter and not draw attention to yourself.
PS if your pistol is real it is againsnt the law to carry it in a public regardless of what category your firearms licence is.

Edited by user Tuesday, 6 October 2015 3:25:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 9:20:19 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

That plastic pretend pistol will definitely upset Des. There will be two explosive scones coming your way, one each side so there is nowhere to run. After his time in the trenches, Des came to hate guns. For they killed many of his mates, good young men serving their country. On Flanders Field the poppies grow.

PS The story has quite a few chapters left yet for followers. Many twists and at the end maybe a tear or two. I have to be in the mood to write. If I am not there then I am only writing pretend. I write from the heart and I guess my heart has to be there with me. Bear with me folks. More will indeed come. I can tell you this, nanana I'm not going too. You will just have to wait. When you read a book you start at the start. There is no ducking to the last chapter with me. Lol
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 9:53:38 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Oh okay. Just a wee bit. As Des and Henry scuttled the fire water, getting sillier by the moment. Suddenly there was a knock on Des's door.
Well buggar me said Des, who would come a calling at this late hour. Perhaps they want a scone. He lurched to his feet, and stumbled to the door. Bloody hell, we don't need anybody else here tonight, he thought. With trepidation, he opened the door of his hut. Oh my god, it is Nurse Maude, I am truly blessed on this day. Oh Des she said , I am in a bit of a bother. I had to ride up to tend to a broken leg of one of your fellow miners. It was a simple fracture and he is now in a splint. Two months and he will be jumping about again, like nothing had happened.

On the way up the track, I came across a young man. He looked quite dangerous to me. He had a holster with a pistol, I could see it plainly. He was standing in the middle of the track, blocking my way. My first request Des is can I use your water to wash my bloomers, and then as it is now dark I cannot return to Blackball. Can I stay in your bottom bunk. Of course said Des, me and Henry have buried the powder on this special day. So come join us, we are having a truly merry time. Now tell me about this thug that blocked your trail. Well De s I wish I had a couple of your special scones, or even a pavlova as it was very short range. But as I didn't I was distraught. But Bessie saved the day. She took one look at the rascal, gave him her best eyeball. Then up she reared. Thats why I need to wash my bloomers. I was so scared and hung on for dear life.

Bessie is always such a quiet dear horse, she just plods, never gallops, or for that fact gets into a canter. I do fear we will never win the Auckland Cup together. But we are inseparable in so many ways. She gave him two clips, and sent him flying down the bank into the creek.

I heard him muttering and saw him get to his feet. So he didn't need my nursing skills. Bessie must have just held back a little bit. But she did manage to dislodge his revolver. Which I want you to deal with Des. As quick as an eye can move, Des was under his bunk, out came his reckoner, a five pound sledge hammer. It was all over in seconds. We will have none of that in my valley Nurse Maude, I may have to bake some scones tomorrow, I know who needs some.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 11:28:09 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Wish I had a gun with me tonight, there is a possum screeching at me cause he reckons I'm in his territory & its breeding season.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 8 October 2015 6:35:41 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
throw some 1080 at it
3 Pages<123>