New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 7 September 2015 8:36:15 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spud Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Well I just got a good deal on a GPX 5000 and it doesn't appear to be too difficult to waterproof - though it might add a bit to the weight. That should be off set in the water though. Hope I don't get sucked into any whirlpools in them rivers. I'll be roping myself to a grappling hook, and will hopefully be able to pull myself back to shore if I get into any trouble.

What happens if the grapple hook doesn't hook or it hooks where you don't want it to hook or the rope catches the current or you end up in a whirlpool with grapple rope around your legs or the grapple rope ends up around a willow or a rock maybe you anchor the grapple hook and start pulling on it and it gives way with all current & ur weight on it...hmm make sure you put a float on the gpx il be waiting down stream for it :)

I'm not planning on crossing any terrible rivers - its just a precaution incase I get swept off my feet.
The rope I got was thin synthetic so hopefully won't catch the current much, my gpx will be broken down in dry backpacks (diving dry bag). Where the dry bag goes I go ;D

I was considering the tangle, thanks I'll keep that in mind.
Also the grapling hook I got has an additional loop on the top end for attaching another line to unhook.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 7 September 2015 9:14:50 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Mate, you gotta be trolling.

If not, please seriously consider this:
Swiftwater Awareness and sort out a buddy with a decent skillset.

I've helped carry a couple of people out of the bush, in bags, due to them underestimating the force of water.

Don't whatever you do, tie yourself to the rope. Use a quick release system (no, don't try and make one out of an old coathanger either)

And wear a crash hat.

spud  
Posted : Monday, 7 September 2015 9:18:56 PM(UTC)
spud

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Rope is always handy but plenty of people have drowned because it has got tangled around them especially thin tangly stuff that floats around...you would be far better off leaving the rope n grapple behind & putting on a wetsuit even just the longjohn as waders can be dangerous & stick to some easier country where you don't have to worry about getting swept away !! I like your ideas but they are a little flamboyant :)
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 10 September 2015 4:44:07 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Mate, you gotta be trolling.

If not, please seriously consider this:
Swiftwater Awareness and sort out a buddy with a decent skillset.

I've helped carry a couple of people out of the bush, in bags, due to them underestimating the force of water.

Don't whatever you do, tie yourself to the rope. Use a quick release system (no, don't try and make one out of an old coathanger either)

And wear a crash hat.

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check that out.
My brother (who is an experienced pig hunter) did inform me how to cross rivers.
I won't be taking a helmet into the bush. I don't plan on crossing any huge/fast flowing/swollen rivers.

Originally Posted by: spud Go to Quoted Post
Rope is always handy but plenty of people have drowned because it has got tangled around them especially thin tangly stuff that floats around...you would be far better off leaving the rope n grapple behind & putting on a wetsuit even just the longjohn as waders can be dangerous & stick to some easier country where you don't have to worry about getting swept away !! I like your ideas but they are a little flamboyant :)

Okay, I'm not going to tie my self to it when crossing rivers. Thanks.
I'm only planning on crossing a few rivers that are not large and are crossed regularly by other trampers. Also the rivers are 2km+ long so I can be very flexible about where I cross.

I could always Tarzan across C:

Edited by user Thursday, 10 September 2015 5:08:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
goldsborough  
Posted : Friday, 11 September 2015 8:48:59 AM(UTC)
goldsborough

New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Well I just got a good deal on a GPX 5000 and it doesn't appear to be too difficult to waterproof - though it might add a bit to the weight. That should be off set in the water though. Hope I don't get sucked into any whirlpools in them rivers. I'll be roping myself to a grappling hook, and will hopefully be able to pull myself back to shore if I get into any trouble.

Good on ya. Out there doing it. Planning and preparation part of the buildup and excitement

Keep us up to date.

Thanks

2 Pages<12