New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 4 December 2014 6:08:43 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Guys, Went away for the weekend & slept over night up in some old timer workings. Did a night detect & managed 5 bits off some old ground that I have flogged but it still coughed up some bits for me. Havnt done a night detect for ages but it is the best time to detect. Every thing runs so much quieter & smoother & those faint signals stand out so much better.
Nice time of the year to be detecting in Central with the thyme bushes out in flower. I found most of the gold amongst thyme bushes.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Got a faint signal up against this thyme bush. I put my boot in to it to push it over so I could get the coil right in by the roots. That brightened up the signal.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Another signal in amongst some thyme bushes.

UserPostedImage

Another piece of gold

UserPostedImage

Then a real faint signal & quite a deep dig for the little nugget finder sadie coil.

UserPostedImage

A nice little quartz specimen piece

UserPostedImage

All up 17 bits for just under 3 grams. Smallest...

.06 of a gram

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A couple of hours one night after work last week.

UserPostedImage

A nice 1.25 gram piece

UserPostedImage

Cheers guys

Best of luck out there

JW :)
NUGGY  
Posted : Thursday, 4 December 2014 7:33:59 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Good stuff again mate, well done, you seem to keep hitting on some good little places. I like that 1.25 gram bit, very tasty. Long may it continue for you. GL NUGGY
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 5 December 2014 6:03:54 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
G'day Nuggy, Thanks mate. Nice of you to drop bye & for your comment. :) Yer it is getting hard to find anything over 1 gram these days. I guess that is the price you pay for going back over old flogged ground LOL :) Got the little 9 x 6 nuggetfinder sadie coil recently & going back over old ground. The small bits are still coming in after god knows how many times I have been over it with other small coils. The bigger gold has well & truely been found but this combination is a vacuum cleaner on the small stuff. Trouble is you have to find a heap of small stuff to equal one decent size piece. I can bearly remmember my last multi grammer......it was a while ago.....a 5 grammer.

Have a nice xmas mate. :)

Regards

John :)
NUGGY  
Posted : Friday, 5 December 2014 7:46:40 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
You have a great xmas too mate :-) hope santa brings you a couple more of those multi grammers !
A good way to find some new ground is to try the gully beside, or opposite across the river or directly over the top of the hills from one you know. It has worked for me a few times, and at least you get into some new spots :-) All the best NUGGY