New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
harryscott  
Posted : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 10:47:15 PM(UTC)
harryscott

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

How come the permit on moke creek is at the bottom of the creek and says unused.
Could you go up stream from the claim and prospect up river?
Thanks
dreamsofbedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 8:12:33 AM(UTC)
dreamsofbedrock

There is a disused copper mine shaft on the claim, the claim it's self is being used, if you need access you need to talk to the claim owner, he can be contacted through dredgenz, access through the gate can be difficult as the land owner charges a entry fee and is hard to contact his name is John foster (Ben almond station)
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 11:18:42 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Though technically the land owner shouldn't charge for access as there's a paper road across his land to the claim:

http://wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.aspx
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 12:28:26 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
As far as i know Moke creek is all claimed. Well, the most part of it where theres gold.

The gate is locked up this area and vehicle access has to be arranged. Unless you were in there all the time the access fee will make any ideas here a waste of time. Nice little creek with a lot of history. Had a big dredge up some of it in the old days. pretty generic photo of it somewhere. there s a big copy of it as tanoa aspen hotel in the bar area.
harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 12:29:45 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

I've been doing a lot of recurch I'm 14 and interested in gold panning ect and geology and going down to Otago area this winter if any one wants to go for a sluice around the place?
Thank you very much dreamsofbedrock
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 1:00:49 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Hi Harry Scott,

Whereabouts in winter are you planning this trip?

Winter is a good time to head out as the rivers can be low. Unfortunately it can be a battle of survival some of the time. Without the sun on you its freezing. And the gorges fill with cold damp air. The ground freezes so you can't dig. Sometimes even the rivers freeze. If you're in the water you need at bare minimum some good neoprene boots or socks. and neoprene gloves. Generally too cold for wetsuits. Seems fun for a short time but the novelty soon wears off. Days are shorter and it seems like you don't get much done so a good time to take a break from any mining involving the water at least.
Best time is the end of summer. rivers low, not as hot. nice long days. Mid feb - mid april if you're lucky.

Good luck with your adventures.
harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 1:47:03 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Shotover or arrow or some of the creeks around the lake
Cheers
harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 1:49:08 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

I was there last year at winter time and it was quite cold but I wore my waders
harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 1:55:31 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Would u find good gold in the shot over considering the moke and outher creeks with gold flow into the shot over?
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 10:47:34 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi the road ,That on ben Lomond, which has a gate on it, to stopping cars going in wily nily. As you are aloud to walk or bike on the road which go around to Arthur point but if you won't to stay in the Hutt, Seffertown you have to ring John foster and he change you $50.00each pre person, pre night
And moke creek goes in to the moonlight which goes out to the shotover and is all under claims
as $30000.00 will buy you a bit of the shotover
harryscott  
Posted : Thursday, 30 April 2015 1:18:50 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Could you pay a bit of money to have a bit of a crack on a claim around Otago for a few days (easy idears?)
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 30 April 2015 2:52:04 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Hi Harry,

Maybe if you meet the right claim owner. Trouble is its probably not the time of year for them to be there and if they don't know you first they have to trust a stranger not to break any boundaries regarding how their claim can be worked. for example they might be only allowed to work up to the waters edge with a dredge. thus no high banking and digging up the banks.

The shotover sure has gold. i doubt there is a stretch where you won't find any. its just its been worked hard and a lot is fresh flood gold.

Most of the river is now claimed although a few people play around at the tunnel by the jet boats. its claimed but ok currently with the owner to only hand sluice or pan and only along the edges, not up the banks like some have been doing lately. some huge holes there by a couple of locals who seem to be really taking the piss and risking ruining one last place where the generous claim owner has allowed access.

Good luck with it all. Waders is def the way to go over winter. trick is to stay dry if possible. soon chill down once you're wet.
harryscott  
Posted : Thursday, 30 April 2015 9:30:00 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

I wouldn't break eany boundaries it's not my claim or place so I would do what I was told.
How much experience in gold prospecting (ect) have you had I was woundering if there were a few tips and tricks Thanks Simon:

Edited by user Thursday, 30 April 2015 9:33:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Saturday, 2 May 2015 9:56:25 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Hi Harry,

I've been mining in various forms for quite a while. started out with just a sluice box then got into sniping and dredging and detecting.

my advice would be read through this forum. you'll get an idea of various places plus how cagey many are regarding gold. most people i know do it for a love of the outdoors and as a hobby. of course there is money to be made. sometimes. thus most people won't let you in on too much. loose lips sink ships is how the saying goes.

if you just want to get into it and find some gold i would suggest sticking to the arrow public area around here, or try your hand by the jet boats on the shotover river.

talking to others you meet will get you some background info, just don't take everything as gospel. gold sizes can soon be exaggerated and start a mini rush.

good luck with your diggings.
gavzilla  
Posted : Monday, 4 May 2015 11:35:35 AM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Go where you want Harry. Nobody cares about panners or sluice boxers, fuck nobody cares about dredgers!

It's actually beneficial for claim owners to allow panners for gathering information on their claims.

Forget Moke though, those side creeks are nicer :) look up left or right branch creek if your in Moke area.
Or like simon said stay in the arrow, it's constantly changing and you will soon get to learn where is good
harryscott  
Posted : Monday, 4 May 2015 12:02:19 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Thanks garvilla and simon , it feels like everyone's trying to dive you away from the hobby and that:)
simon  
Posted : Monday, 4 May 2015 9:25:31 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

harry, if you're keen enough stick with it. theres always someone trying to stop you having fun. it might seem like every place is out of bounds but you just need to talk to the right people. and not everywhere is claimed. none is going to chase you for panning an unclaimed creek. theres a lot of public land out there that you can walk about. check online the wams website regarding public access maps. and if you approach landowners you never know your luck. doesn't hurt to be keen and try your luck.
harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 May 2015 9:18:52 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Well thanks I would love to catch up one day
kirk  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 May 2015 3:10:52 PM(UTC)
kirk

New Zealand

I have a claim on Ben Lomond station and a key to gate , I also know the owners of Mike claim and as all of us know poaching a claim is trespass I will personally confiscate equipment as most claim owners will...it's stealing different story if ask first.
harryscott  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 May 2015 8:00:57 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

So if I asked you I could go on your claim?what number is your claim?
2 Pages12>