New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<678910>
NUGGY  
Posted : Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:09:39 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1NEWBIE Go to Quoted Post
hi kiwikeith first of all id like to say a speacil thanks to yourself.. i love reading all you post's it gets me so excited about finding gold. i am new to all this and have brought a small sluice box. im looking forward to getting over your ways and exploring just gota figure out how to use the sluice box properly.haha thanks again and keep up the good work.

p.s any tips on how to use the sluice would be great

Try You Tube - there are videos on there showing how to do almost anything, very handy. NUGGY
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 8:55:51 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi hatter
from the last time i met you you looked like a real bloke that could handle the bush
found a nice little spot up the greenstone last week after the rain , did a couple of pans and got about 10 colours per pan not big but still colour
went back the next day with the box and theflow of water had dried up so that wasnt much good

most of my references are for people who have no idea but want colour some could produce results its one way of seeing the country i personal if i want the yellow stuff head for the claim, its always good to listen to stories

when i saw you last i think that area up the head waters would be a very good place to start one of the best heard a good story about the area the other day ment to be very rich but a good walk to get there i work on go where you know it is but if in my area do look me up i would be very interested in going up that creek i also have permision to play in the buller where that creek joins in

heres some thought my partner in crime in the claim and i are thinking along the lines of forming a club like the 49ers in the states where you buy rights to dredge a claim gives you full dredging to the area when ever you like, just putting some ideas together at this stage
there is no where to put a dredge in the river in nz unless you have a claim or access, working with doc and they seem happy about the idea along with crown minerals

boy thats one of my bigger write ups any feed back would be good
NUGGY  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 10:20:29 AM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post

Sounds like a damn good idea Keith. Have dredging and panning memberships maybe? People without claims would love to have a spot like that available to them. Could be a lot of fun too, with some summer camping up there. Reserve the right to cancel membership to get rid of the rubbish dropping vandal types. Hmmm 100 members at $150 a year - plus a royalty from the dredgers, could be a couple of bucks in it too.
NUGGY
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 10:47:21 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

along the lines of you buy shares in the claim for the 8 years left theres plenty of camping etc a great spot for a hunt or old workings for detecting , of course only available if you have a card it would give you the right to kick anyone of who hasnt paid (only fare) there will be a limit of about 30 members
i seem to average about 5 to 7 grms per day depending on which beach i play on
gogold  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 11:48:00 AM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
along the lines of you buy shares in the claim for the 8 years left theres plenty of camping etc a great spot for a hunt or old workings for detecting , of course only available if you have a card it would give you the right to kick anyone of who hasnt paid (only fare) there will be a limit of about 30 members
i seem to average about 5 to 7 grms per day depending on which beach i play on

have to be careful that anyone using your claim sticks to the conditions of your consent and mining permit as you can be liable if they breech them. great idea tho hope you can make it work. would be good if there was a couple of public areas that anyone could use with small motorized gear highbankers dredges up to 4" etc i guess they would get hammered alot but it would still be somewhere for people to go that dont have a claim.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 13 September 2012 12:16:29 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

you are right we are allowed up to 5" with 16hp of motor seems a bit heavy on the motor size but who cares we are allowed 5m either side of center line of river not to hard to follow those rules even i understand them lol
rugbyroberts  
Posted : Sunday, 7 October 2012 9:32:59 PM(UTC)
rugbyroberts

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey, Just been over the coast and went panning on the arowhata river, found only little specks, do you know if im in a good place?
Cheers, Josh
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 October 2012 8:31:28 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

do you mean the arawata river in south west land if not could you please check the spelling
kiwigirl  
Posted : Monday, 3 December 2012 3:13:50 AM(UTC)
kiwigirl

New Zealand

hi. i love this paydirt site!!!i went for a holiday down by hokitika recently and tried panning for the first time. i got the bug!! i didnt get much, but had a great time. i would love to bring my sister or husband down and have another go. how do i get hold of you to arrange spending some time on your claim?? it would be good to know i was trying somewhere with a bit more chance of getting something!!! i have just bought myself a pan and a little sluice box. thanks heaps for all your great stories.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 3 December 2012 7:11:41 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi kiwigirl
bitten by the bug what a bugger it happens to quite a few (including myself) be careful as it turns into a fever normally terminal it will last till you die

you are welcome to join us anytime up at the claim we will be up there over the christmas break as well as most weekends. you do need 4wd to get in unless you want to walk 8km there are some great camp spots on the river flats on the edge of the bush

this year so far has been rewarding although very cold as the snow is still on the tops. ive got my first oz for the season with only spending about 10 hours in the water. caz washed some moss the other day in the pan and was getting a good 20 colours per pan

just seed a post to me for futher directions beware of the bug

cheers kiwikeith

kiwigirl  
Posted : Monday, 3 December 2012 1:44:37 PM(UTC)
kiwigirl

New Zealand

how do i seed a post?!?!? ..... lol. this is all new to me.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 3 December 2012 3:48:06 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwigirl Go to Quoted Post
how do i seed a post?!?!? ..... lol. this is all new to me.

I think he meant "send a post" Kiwigirl.

Perhaps use the PM button for private stuff about claims.

MK
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 3 December 2012 7:31:47 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

spent some time down behind charleston today a very interesting place steeped in history there is one track that runs across darkies terrace lots of old gold workings with shafts and tunnels everywhere, water races etc well worth a visit if one has the time.

i will try to down load a photo of my wife walking through a water race note that she is carrying a rifle and was only 5 to 10 min later we say a goat the only problem it also saw us first

there are areas where you can dig the soft rock straight out of the bank to take home to crush for the gold
File Attachment(s):
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 December 2012 6:24:36 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there KK, Good to see the high vis vest. Yes Charleston is a very interesting place & definatly worth a visit.

Good luck out there

JW :)
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 7 February 2013 8:32:07 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

sorry there folks been awhile since ive heard any gossip

working behind barrytown for the last couple of weeks
between barrytown and punikaiki up on the trraces just north of canoe creek there are lots of old drives and shafts from gold mining do you know anything about them?

heres a good story
up the punikaiki river above gorge creek which comes in from the south there is an old mine it was mined in the depresion untill one of the miners was killed they were up the hill cutting spars for proping in the mine one of them through the spar down the hill it went the wrong way and hit the guy on the head and killed him

i went up there the other day to try to find the shaft couldnt find it so if any one has imfo on the area i would be interested all i found was the old dray road
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 24 February 2013 5:16:07 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

just acouple of days making a mess of a beach on the claim
File Attachment(s):
cavey  
Posted : Sunday, 24 February 2013 6:31:21 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Thanks for the photo Keith great looking spot you have the i heard the weather over there has been good . Looks like a lot of fun and hard work.

Stuart
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 4 March 2013 7:22:46 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

a day or twos work with little return
a very sore back from shifting rocks
File Attachment(s):
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 4 March 2013 10:12:45 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Choice photos Kiwikeith. Looks like back breaking work alright. Surely you must of found something after all that.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 9 March 2013 10:22:33 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

how about this when you lft up the rubber matt on the dredge after 1.5 hours
File Attachment(s):
10 Pages«<678910>