New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 15 May 2010 11:59:38 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 1:21:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 May 2010 5:02:13 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Tongue in cheek Message to Gavin:
Gavin, after you`ve read JWs message above, may I make a sugestion?
Is it possible to create a "LANDING" page for all recent posts and replys, in the order of date and time that they are recieved by you at the forum. This is so that people and members could access this page as their First port of call, being then be able to read all recent posts that may be relevant to the differing forum subjects with out having to jump around all over the site to find an answer or question that may have been given or asked of them. After perusing these landing page messages? they would then be able to go to the relevent forum page, and reply or ask something.These landing page messages are also to be automatically placed in their relevant forum page as they are recieved.
Once these "Original" Landing page messages have existed on that page for a determined length of time,
(say,"a month") they could be automatically deleted, as they are still available, by having also been recorded in their appropriate forum spot.
A site that comes to mind is a "YAHOO" groups site called "ALCHEMISTICA", click on "Messages" to see their type of forum layout.

Regards---Colin..:):):).
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 May 2010 1:09:18 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi JW, I'm actually still in the UK at the moment - getting the odd chance to pop online while here. Land back in the land of the long white cloud 1st June ;)

Colin - cool idea. Unfortunately I'm just using a forum package "as-is out of the box" so haven't done any of my own tweaks to it. When I get enough spare time to take a poke around / upgrade site I'll keep it in mind ;) But a quick tip:

I'm still learning about this forum software as never really been involved too deeply in forums before, but... when you go to a a particular forum, e.g General Discussions, Equipment Light, etc. you'll see a "Watch forum" link at the bottom of the topic list. Click this and you should get emails about all new posts in that particular forum. I've just this second gone through and done this for myself to all forums.
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 May 2010 6:52:59 AM(UTC)
criticol

Hi gavin,
Thanks for that info,it might possibly work out just as good as gold for locating somethings without too much pain.
I was sort of looking at maybe "HYPERLINKING" all subjects to a landing page and to anywhere else of relevance as they were posted. Sort of seemed to be the easiest way to do things in that respect.

Regards---Colin.
criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 20 May 2010 3:30:56 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hello Gavin, How did "ALL" of one of the Forum subjects get published to the web on "GOOGLE" ? (check out--Te-Tahi detector club ) approx #5 on Googles listing page is a link to "Yay, finally a new zealand prospecting site".
It was quite a surprise to see this, as I thought that what was said on a forum,(and some of are posted as semi- private informations to other genuine members) was only for the members benefits and any guests that happened to drop in by following a "Direct Link" (that you youreslf had arranged) to the NZ prospectings site itself, where hopefully they may sign up.

Also Gavin, does "PM" at the bottom of a post, mean that you can send that member a private e-mail to his NZ prospecting sites "INBOX" ?

Kind Regards---Colin :).

criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 20 May 2010 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
criticol

Opps, sorry Gavin, forgot to mention that "Watch forum" works quite well, as it sends a message to your private e-mail box (just like Trade me does when you put something on your watchlist)but it seems to only notify you if another member replies to one of your own posts, not all the current posts to all forums.

All the same, its a Help anyway. So thanks for the tip.

Sincerely---Colin.

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 22 May 2010 2:02:03 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Colin,

Forums can be private so only signed up members can only read messages posted, but personally I find this a big put-off. Most forums are public and will often show up in google search results ;)

PM - private message, yes I believe you're right though I hadn't played with this feature myself yet.

Cheers,
Gavin :)