New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 11 October 2015 10:42:33 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I've been a bit absent from the forums for a while - just been too busy. I'm hoping to find some time to throw at the site to give it a touch of TLC that I think it needs. Don't expect anything overnight, it's something I'll have to nibble away at here and there when time allows.

If you have any ideas about what might make Paydirt a better site (and not just the forums) then please feel free to share your ideas here.

Here's a short list of immediate fixes / improvements I'd like to implement:
  • Fix forum issues - RSS feeds, etc. including upgrade to latest version. Some functionality became a little broke when I had to emergency migrate the forums to a different hosting company some time back due to unresolvable issues.
  • Use a "do not reply" forum email address for alert emails (people sometimes reply directly to forum email alerts expecting them to post a reply directly to the forum thread).
  • Forum filters - introducing a gold only page and a detector only page (also keep a combined view like we have at present).
  • Permit Map - update the data as it's quite stale now (date of last update is at top of map).
  • Forum FAQ page.
Erickd  
Posted : Monday, 12 October 2015 2:13:14 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Is it possible that when deleting photos in your album that you can actually see the photo your deleting other than the file name ??
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 12 October 2015 4:27:38 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: Erickd Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible that when deleting photos in your album that you can actually see the photo your deleting other than the file name ??

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure. If it's a built-in feature of the latest version of the forum software then this feature will be included.

This is the forum software I use for Paydirt - http://www.yetanotherforum.net/
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 12 October 2015 4:42:19 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Speed up the system so that when you click Post it doesn't take ages to load.

MK

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 12 October 2015 7:13:46 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
Speed up the system so that when you click Post it doesn't take ages to load.

MK

Might require a slightly more expensive hosting plan unfortunately. I'm going to put a more obvious "donate" button on the new site like www.topomap.co.nz has. If that works well then I'll see if I can upgrade the plan and get something a bit more meaty ;-)
Jd  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 October 2015 5:37:48 AM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi gavin
You have a great site
I was thinking most members on here have been on here for some time me included, the cost to keep this site going I expect comes from you. I don't think the donation button would have great returns.
According to your below
Statistics
There are 40,038 posts in 4,100 topics in 17 forums.
Last post about 8 hours ago by Jd.
We have 2,632 registered members.
The newest member is NJC62-DN.

Why not charge each member $10 per year not much for a year per member for this great service and you can offer visitors free access to read but they cant post or reply without payment that way you get only members and not drifters and a bit of money to help you with this site Id be a starter
as you said theirs a bit of time updating even the permit map alone
snowdrop  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 October 2015 9:46:54 AM(UTC)
snowdrop

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 49 post(s)
In relation to your mail about improving this site. Sure, there are one or two issues, but what percentage of regular followers have donated to the cause?
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 October 2015 1:33:00 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: snowdrop Go to Quoted Post
In relation to your mail about improving this site. Sure, there are one or two issues, but what percentage of regular followers have donated to the cause?

Only a handful have donated so far (including your good self - cheers!), but I must say that after I made the donate button more prominent on www.topomap.co.nz and added a nag screen for people coming in using ad blockers in their browsers then I was very pleasantly surprised to see how many donations started coming in. Was very encouraging. You can actually tell who's donated on Paydirt - they have a little $1 coin medal showing on the info under their name when they post on the forums, my little way of saying "thank you".

Originally Posted by: Jd Go to Quoted Post
Hi gavin
You have a great site
I was thinking most members on here have been on here for some time me included, the cost to keep this site going I expect comes from you. I don't think the donation button would have great returns.
According to your below
Statistics
There are 40,038 posts in 4,100 topics in 17 forums.
Last post about 8 hours ago by Jd.
We have 2,632 registered members.
The newest member is NJC62-DN.

Why not charge each member $10 per year not much for a year per member for this great service and you can offer visitors free access to read but they cant post or reply without payment that way you get only members and not drifters and a bit of money to help you with this site Id be a starter
as you said theirs a bit of time updating even the permit map alone

I'm not really keen on charging people to use the site. I imagine it would stop a lot of new blood joining. I may try and push the sponsored listings on the equipment page a bit more to see if I can get a bit more revenue to cover costs that way. I may also add a few extra ad units down the side of the page to try and bump up revenue a little.

Edited by user Tuesday, 13 October 2015 1:35:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 October 2015 4:01:09 PM(UTC)
gavin

Another addition might be some forum behaviour guidelines. We've lost a couple of highly valuable members in the past through abuse (perceived or real) unfortunately. Perhaps we need some fairly loose guidelines to try and prevent this? I don't want to police the forums unless people report abuse via the "report" flag, but having clear guidelines in place may allow me to temporarily ban people / delete offending posts without causing waves in the community.

If anyone knows of some good baseline rules then feel free to share them. We can then all nut out the details later on as I start updating the site.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 October 2015 10:04:10 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday Gavin, pleased to tell you that I have made a small donation. I think I started in here before we got to our first 100 members. I was looking through the membership list and there are a lot of Gold Dust members from China with names like 'yhu5cwr1" or similar who have never posted. I wonder how many true members we have if these weren't taken into consideration. Perhaps a small membership fee might be the way to go.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 October 2015 8:36:07 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: kiwisouth Go to Quoted Post
Gidday Gavin, pleased to tell you that I have made a small donation. I think I started in here before we got to our first 100 members. I was looking through the membership list and there are a lot of Gold Dust members from China with names like 'yhu5cwr1" or similar who have never posted. I wonder how many true members we have if these weren't taken into consideration. Perhaps a small membership fee might be the way to go.

Thanks for the donation - much appreciated :)

Yes, there's a lot of spammy users from China. Originally I'd just disabled their accounts, rather than deleting them, as it meant they had to keep creating new email accounts to re-register and spam. Making the process a little harder for them. I've since turned on one of those catcha type images (crazy letter images) as part of the registration process. This works well so I assume most of these spammy users were bots rather than humans.

That's one of my first jobs - look for spammy users and remove them. I'll also look for spammy web addresses in user profiles to remove them also. Don't worry - this doesn't include legitimate blog, business, etc. web sites.
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 October 2015 10:25:48 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I think that the site works fine, not sure whether rules on conduct will work, the abusers simply wanted to abuse, so dont know how to manage unless want to kick peeps out. A few good members have left over very minor stuff as it turns out, so guess the old ego is a delicate thing.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 October 2015 2:51:47 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: Golddigger7 Go to Quoted Post
I think that the site works fine, not sure whether rules on conduct will work, the abusers simply wanted to abuse, so dont know how to manage unless want to kick peeps out. A few good members have left over very minor stuff as it turns out, so guess the old ego is a delicate thing.

I guess it's too easy to take something the wrong way, or to heart. Definitely found it a bit of a tricky topic to deal with when it's come up. Thankfully it doesn't pop up too often.
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 October 2015 3:09:07 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Gavin

I don't think we really need rules of conduct, they tend to make people to scared to give an opinion. I don't know if you have moderators on here.But they can be a big help when a bit of shit starts flying around. Its a bit like three strikes and you are out. A warning first. I run a forum with mostly members from the USA, Around 2500 members. In its hey day it flew. But now pretty quiet. Often politics would come up, and I would stop that with a warning. Other times it was African Americans or Native American bashing. A quick post from me, and it stopped. I also have three moderators. But generally everybody was nice. It is a gold forum.

Cheers Trev

Edited by user Wednesday, 14 October 2015 3:10:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 October 2015 4:45:10 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi gavin
if you make rules I wouldn't be able to post anything since all I say is bullshit
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 October 2015 6:09:45 PM(UTC)
gavin

Fair enough - no rules it is ;) And thanks for the advice Trev. A couple of users have been given moderator permissions but I don't think they're as active as they used to be. Can't blame them as I've been pretty absent lately!
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 4 December 2015 2:35:55 PM(UTC)
gavin

Bugger - almost had the permit map refreshing it's data daily from NZPAM data, but now they've gone and removed the API endpoint I was querying to get the raw data. Emailed them to find out what's going on, a bit annoying!
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Friday, 4 December 2015 10:17:24 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

New Zealand

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Wow, just as well I donated!
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 6 December 2015 9:15:13 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: NJC62-DN Go to Quoted Post
Wow, just as well I donated!

It's very much appreciated - thank you :) Added a little "thank you" medal to your profile.
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 10:54:41 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Hi Gavin everyone's entitled to there opinion and mine is .....
Charge a subscription ( it's a user pays world we live in) you have a fabulous site which provides hours no days and weeks of entertainment and knowledge for everyone who visits.
Unfortunately people forget myself included. When the donation topic arose, I thought yes good idea I must do that........one day! That day never comes.
I wonder how many see the donate button down in the fine print, I had a wee bit of trouble but hey I am blind.
Maybe once the yearly or bi-yearly (if preferred) sub is up for renewal a hold could be put in place to prevent further posts until subs paid up? (Maybe after a two or three month time period)
I realise some will disagree but I have thick skin.
I hope this great site lives on thanks for your hard work Gavin

Iggy
2 Pages12>