New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

paul7304  
Posted : Monday, 9 May 2016 8:04:37 PM(UTC)
paul7304

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Between 3pm Wednesday the 4th and 9am Thursday the 5th I had a complete brand new Keene 3 stage 4"dredge stolen off my hobby claim at Shamrock creek, Goldsborough. I am offering a reward of $1000 for any information that leads to the recovery of this dredge. Any information please contact the Hokitika police station or myself on 0272753398.
Cheers
Paul.
Gold monkey  
Posted : Monday, 9 May 2016 9:03:02 PM(UTC)
Gold monkey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mate that's rat shit I hope you get it back!! I've always considered leaving mine in the river over night or during the week while at work but this just proves there's some dick heads out there
digahole!!  
Posted : Monday, 9 May 2016 9:09:55 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Filthy little pricks. Its unfortunate that gold/mining attracts these ---holes. It's for this very reason I always carry an oddly shaped walking stick with me when I go bush, the kind that goes bang. I will give anyone I meet a wave and a friendly chat, but I will not be caught out. I will keep a look out for you, I hope you find it and the person or people that took it.
element111  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 May 2016 5:12:55 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
that sux, iv Had one stolen before, hope you catch them then throw them down a hole
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 May 2016 7:49:42 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi paul
I'm working in the area round goldsbrough doing possum control so will keep my eyes open.
I had my 2" stolen from round the area a few years back . hope you get a lead on it , ill put some feelers out so what comes out of the woodwork
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 May 2016 9:50:29 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Sorry about your loss Paul, I hope the scumbag(s) get(s) what they deserve. Does anyone know if there is something convenient like a small gps tracker that could be put on a dredge to locate it? That would make is convenient to go and track down the culprit and deal with them on your own terms. I recently heard a statistic that something like 90% of burglaries in NZ are unsolved. Is there any potential that overzealous DOC / Council workers have removed your dredge? I hear they did some busts on the west coast.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
paul7304  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 May 2016 10:00:03 PM(UTC)
paul7304

New Zealand

I have been in contact with both doc and NZPM just in case but unfortunately they have not removed any equipment from the area since last month.
paul7304  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 May 2016 10:05:50 PM(UTC)
paul7304

New Zealand

I had looked into a gps tracker but had not found one that I felt would have been discreet enough not to be found and easily removed. I will call the westland district council tomorrow and enquire but they have been made aware of the theft by Jackie Adams from NZPM.
Grizzle  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 May 2016 11:38:18 PM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Howdy all..

hey in regards to GPS tracker / security while off site then there are a few pretty small and waterproof GPS Trackers on the market these days.. Dx.com (a site very trusted & well known by many & a site i've personally used for a multitude of items over many years, hey its Chinese but vely vely cheeep + free shipping on everything!) has a lot of options like this one for example:

http://www.dx.com/p/lk10...plug-430022#.VzGzquQatjY

...for me the issue isn't really about the size of unit so much, after all it doesn't have to really stay hidden for long as far as i can see, who cares if they find it once they have it back at theirs and the heist is over, by then its too late they are nicked / you have GPS location back at there hideout... and thats another reason not to worry to much about being out of range on ya gold site either - chances are they are going to pass thru a GPS / Ph range area or live in one when they get it back home after the steal.. so as long as it works at some stage (ideally in real time) aye.. the main thing really is that the unit can:
A/ Avoid detection at least while the heist is happening / in the short term.
B/ Sent movement / info as soon as its in range of the relevant system its using (usually mobile phone range - sometimes GPS only even), ideally straight away..

Bottom line - as long as unit can alert you in real time (thru sms/email/etc) to the actual movement of the property, or movement within the site area.... so in the instance of a dredge i would actually be looking to maybe hide a unit up the suction nozzle or suchlike.. no one is going to start it up on site (and if they do then the movement would alert you anyway you'd hope!) and you are only looking to get a bead on them during the heist / movement.

Just my thoughts anyway!

Other option, and in my eyes sometimes better as it covers multiple pieces of property, is the good old trailcam - as long as you have real time phone coverage then you can get unit that send multiple emails/photo's/video/sms to a few phones/emails at the same time... i've bought this particular unit for friends and its great and cheap at approx $220, works well and the seller was great to deal with / was good at aftermarket emails / queries:

http://www.paydirt.co.nz...on-dredge.aspx#post47337

Failing all that - i know people that know people that know people that know people thatknow people that can find people that steal sh*t and f*ck them up for ya if needed..

sorted.com
Grizzle

WestieDigger  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 May 2016 12:29:54 AM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
+1 on the trail cam used one about 7 years ago to prove that the person who was removing property was the person that I suspected it was. Best money I ever spent and word gets around quickly so it's a hugely effective deterrent for a very long time.
2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
element111  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 May 2016 1:07:28 AM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WestieDigger Go to Quoted Post
+1 on the trail cam used one about 7 years ago to prove that the person who was removing property was the person that I suspected it was. Best money I ever spent and word gets around quickly so it's a hugely effective deterrent for a very long time.

I had a trail cam up on one of my old claims a few years ago, never caught anyone tampering with anything but it was always interesting with what sort of wee animals came out and checked it out.

got another cheap one when dick smith went broke, they are they best thing since slice bread I recon..
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 12 May 2016 9:59:59 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
maybe the dredge has been stashed could still be in the area ?
eastcoastboys  
Posted : Saturday, 21 May 2016 10:20:11 AM(UTC)
eastcoastboys

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hey dude pricks cant leave anything alone have you tryed looking on trade me the a 4 inch on there at the mo and might be worth contacting danidor from rangiora hope ya find it dude
3 Silver rings $55.20 spendables 1 silver
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 21 May 2016 4:45:53 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Make a small engraving of your initials in an inconspicuous place, a dremel will do the job nicely.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
paul7304  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2016 8:39:54 AM(UTC)
paul7304

New Zealand

Thanks for the trademe heads up eastcoastboys. Not my dredge unfortunately. Mine is the larger 3 stage model and has 2 piece pontoons on either side. Daniel Gerber at DredgeNZ is the person that I purchased from and he is aware of what has happened. Have searched the area extensively but found no sign of any gear. If they had stashed it and used my camo net then you would literally need to trip over it as you would never spot it by walking up the creek.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 May 2016 11:31:07 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Maybe they snuck in with a helicopter ;<
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46