New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Saturday, 6 March 2010 5:12:47 AM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Well another trip to the back of beyond... Spot had everything-big rock in the middle of the creek,beaches on the inside bends,tree roots,crevices... Looked like something out of a how to get gold textbook!6 hours later and all I got was 3 or 4 REALLY small flakes and lots of sandfly bites.
What went wrong?
Btw it was up Nuggety Creek up from Wangapeka...
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 28 March 2010 11:55:42 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there Overdog, Keeping in mind that these places have been trashed you will have to get down to bed rock & the cracks & crevices. This is true for any location. Flood gold will deposit in the spots you mentiond but it depends on how much is still left in that location & how rich it was in the first place in the early days. The Shotover for example is pretty good & depositing some flood gold each flood. Also depends on the catchment area of a creek or river. The Shotover catchment is quite large & as you will know was a very rich field in its day. As was the Arrow.
Flood gold is generaly pretty fine & flakey & will deposit mixed up in the general gravel in the top 6 odd inches. Here are some pics of some flood gold from the Arrow & Shotover The bigger bits were in bed rock cracks & crevices. Most of this was recovered using my little Weekend Prospector sluice box

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This gold is from the Naseby area with the bigger bits coming out off bed rock cracks & crevices from the Kyeburn river at Danseys Pass.
UserPostedImage

The secret to fiding gold is that you HAVE to get down to the bed rock &/or cracks & crevices

More later

Happy golding

JW
Balfour  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 April 2010 5:08:18 AM(UTC)
Balfour

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi JW, loved the pics from your Shotover, Arrow and Naseby trips - you got some excellent colour! I agree about getting down to the bed rock, an absolute must! I have worked the Whakamarina (top of the Pelorous Sounds/Canvastown) and found some good stuff in the cracks/crevices along the banks and stream bed. When I get some pics up on my computer I'll send you some. I enjoy your feedback and pics! Cheers, Balfour.
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 April 2010 12:45:26 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there Balfour, Thanks for your comments & look forward to your pics from the Wakamarina. I have spent only a very short time at the Wakamarina but managed a bit of colour. I went up the Coromandel over easter weekend & found a little colour at a creek I havnt been back to since a couple of weekends after last easter when I found some bastard had stolen all my gear I had stached in the bush. Sluice box, header box for a little 2" gravity dredge set up, all my crevicing suckers & scraping tools, sieve buckets, shovel etc etc. EVERY THING.
Here is some gold I got from one crevice using my crevice sucker/pump.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Happy golding

JW :)
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 11 April 2010 6:53:36 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Hi all-anybody had any trouble fossicking up the Wakamarina?I was there panning last November and some irate local(I presume) had a proper go at me.No sign of any claim pegs but he was pretty keen to let me know it was his patch... Havent been back since but might have a go now the tourists have thinned a bit!
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 11 April 2010 6:56:21 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Oh and sorry to hear some low life waste of skin stole all your stuff JW... That just sucks.
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 12 April 2010 4:54:59 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

G'day overdog, Mate......you wont believe this. I went back up this little creek over the weekend & bugger me..... I found my stolen gear. All of it. A year later. Some prick had taken it way up this little creek. There must have been two of them to do it as one bloke couldnt have carried it all unless he made a couple of trips. It ment going up quite a few waterfalls where you need both hands to get up them & that means being very careful not to slip or drop gear. Hence my staching it in the bush up here. I had been cleaning out a couple of crevices way up the creek. I only got a few specks & nothing to show off really. I had a bit of time up my sleeve before dark so just took the pan & a crevice sucker & walked up a bit further. Cleaned out some small crevices for zip & went back to my gear to pack up & head on down. My eye caught what I thought was a white bucket lying on its side half hidden by the bush high up the bank behind where I had been working. I thought I best check that out. I did & what a thrill I got to see it was all my gear. Crevicing scraper tools, Crevice suckers, under water viewfinder, sluice box, Wooden header box, Gad pry bar, Sieve buckets, shovel , hand trowls etc. Here is a pic of the sluice box with the wooden header box attached & a 2" suction nozzle set up going in to it.

UserPostedImage

JW

Edited by user Monday, 12 April 2010 4:56:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

x-terra steve  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 April 2010 5:01:23 AM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Overdog,

sorry that some nutbar bloke gave you a hard time up the Wakamarina.If you had no motorised gear I would see you as a fossicker, not a miner as such.

I have a claim from Pear tree flat that runs up past All Nations Creek,you are welcome to take your hand tools and give it a go.

You might see an old chap there who drives a Diahatsu Rocky Don is his name.He is a top bloke and will help you if you want any tips ect.

I would love to know where you were when you were told to sod off,as I know most holders of active claims from Pear tree flat up to the suilce box.

Nice photos JW, I will post some soon

Cheers Steve
File Attachment(s):
Balfour  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 April 2010 5:37:25 AM(UTC)
Balfour

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi JW and Steve,

Was sorry to read you had your gear stolen, but wrapped when I heard you had found it! I have been going up the Wakamarina for about 5 years now and stay at a great little camping sitre called Pinedale Motor Camp. It is about half way up and has great facilities and plenty of camping space. It also has it's own gold fossicking section of the river - not a long stetch, but enough to fossick round and pick up some small flakes and specks of colour. I was really interested in Steves comments about Pear Tree Flat and All Nations Creek - I know exactly where you are Steve and would love to pop in an visit you next time I'm up your way. i would also love to catch up with Rocky Don, sounds a real local character and probably has tons of stories to relate. Great to hear from you guys - keep it up, we all love it!! Balfour the trier!
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 11:12:03 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Guys, Pinedale motor camp. I have stayed there a few times myself. Only an over nighter though as I used it to stay before catching the ferry back to the north island rather than camp at Picton. Just did a bit of sluice boxing in the river below the camp. First time I stayed there the young chap & his wife who owned it, he had a dredging claim but reckond he didnt have the time to work it with his dredge but it gave him the right to the river & for his "clients" to fossick the river. I have since stayed there a few times & found out he & his wife broke up & he had to sell out. BUGGER. Was a nice chap. His city wife didnt like it there apparently. Too quiet for her. I know where I would rather be & it aint Christchurch.
Steve.....do you know Lofty Andrews? Met him one time when I was in the Trout Hotel. I was supposed to go back that easter weekend & he was going to take me way up the Waka on inner tubes to get right in to where your average person couldnt get to.

How's this for a nugget: 2 ounces

UserPostedImage

Happy hunting

overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 1:03:52 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Thanks Steve-damn decent of you!
x-terra steve  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 5:43:37 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Cheers Overdog,

Hi JW,

Lofty Andrews the name rings a few bells but I can't say I can put a face to the name.

Chances are I have come accross him a few times if he is a regular up the Waka.

That is one fine looking peice of gold!, I can only hope and prey that on day I will have the pleasure of digging up such a ripper.

Pinedale Motor camp has changed hands a few times in recent years, the new owners are pretty laid back and seem like nice folk.

There is some really good detecting up past Butchers Flat.I keep my river kayak locked up in the bush so I can access some hard to reach areas.

One exposed area of bedrock (about eighty meters long x fifity meters long) i jagged a little over 18 grams in three trips,it was detecting heaven as there was very little rubbish and very few hot rocks.

Cheers for now and when I work out how to post photos i will do so.

Steve

gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 April 2010 5:51:34 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Steve,

Posting photos didn't seem too intuitive on the forum to me either...

1) Reply to post by clicking the "Post Reply" button at the bottom to get to the richer functionality reply page (rather than doing a quick reply).

2) At bottom of reply you should see Options: "Attach files to this post?" tick box. Tick this.

3) When you click "Post" you'll then be given a chance to add your photos.

Look forward to seeing some of your finds too ;)

Cheers,
Gavin
x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 15 April 2010 5:00:31 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Thanks Gavin,I will give it a go this weekend,
Cheers
Steve
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 18 April 2010 4:11:27 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Steve

Any chance I could visit with you one day you are at your claim? I wouldn't mind somewhere closer than the Howard or Murchison to scratch around in. I'll even bring my own coffee and sand fly repellant.

Cheers

Dave
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
x-terra steve  
Posted : Sunday, 18 April 2010 5:14:15 AM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Hi Daved,

Yep that sounds like a plan,

I should be back up there this coming weekend,If the weather looks like it is going to be fine I will take my Hino bus up there and camp there for the weekend.

If it looks a bit unsettled a day trip might be the go.

If you have got access to a kayak there is a few good places up stream we could check out.

There are no rapids as such and the water flow is very slow which makes it a fairly safe paddle.

And yes it is all fun and games until the dam sand flies turn up.

Attached pic is of one of the locals that i come accross on a regular bases.

Cheers Steve

Edited by user Sunday, 18 April 2010 5:22:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 18 April 2010 5:22:44 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I'm working today so I'll be on here quite a bit methinks. Not much happening around Base. Go for a drive around every now and again. I should be doing some assignmnet stuff but...

My wife teaches swimming to bablies and pre schoolers on Saturdays, so with the school term starting up she will be back to that. Next Sunday is Anzac Day so I'll have a parade then take mother in law back to Murchison so might get a couple of hours in before I come home again. If you are in the vicinity, my home number is 03 5727928 and mobile is 021 625 964. Don't be surprised if some Flight Sergeant answers it, cos it's my work phone.

Cheers

David
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 19 April 2010 10:36:41 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Steve, A photo of some local gold would have been nicer than a stinking billy goat. :) :) LOL LOL :)

Happy hunting

digger37  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 April 2010 5:49:00 AM(UTC)
digger37

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi there,
I to give the Nuggety Creek up from Wangapeka a go with gold detector yes bloody slim pickings.
Walked for 4 hours up the creek there was a couple of places mid stream where the detector went off
that I couldn't check out as I had forgot to take my unwater viewing thinge.
However there was some excitement as I was getting up round a bend there in the distance in some pools was
a couple of she & he skinny dippers they did not see me at first, then thinking to myself will I dive into bush and walk round or keep detecting there could be gold between me & them..... there was white body parts going everywhere and believe me the water must have been cold!!! I waited for a bit & cleaned out a crack on the side of the creek then seen them slope on passed down the walking track but there was three of them not sure what was going on there...
Anyhow back to golding, since then I have done some research it seems that 'blue creek' before nuggety creek was a high gold bearing area also there are some old gold trailings at the kings creek hut area that would be worth a look to so hope to go back some time next summer.
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 7:29:51 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

G'day Digger, You will need to avoid the foot steps of exterra Steve to have a chance of finding gold up the Waka. He has done very well & I take my hat off to him. Your bug 2 will do very well for small shallow gold. That means bed rock cracks & crevices. If there is a bit of depth to the ground you may struggle.
Did you make that little dredge yourself??

Good luck & happy hunting

JW