New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 26 May 2012 7:09:29 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Originally Posted by: asterix Go to Quoted Post
Just to add,you may have trouble getting your hands on a 705 from a dealer,they've been pretty much cleaned out due to a gold rush somewhere over in Africa.I know a couple of guys that have been on a waiting list for over 3 months trying to get one.As i stated,never tried using it for prospecting but it speaks volumes to me that they are all sold out.
Not sure if its the same situation in NZ/Aus.

Intersting you say that, I have been having a hard time getting gold detectors from Fisher. Anything else no problem, but they stalled me a couple months on a shipment of the gold machines. I thought it was because it was spring in the northern hemisphere and the price of gold was up, but maybe there is a gold rush on in Africa.

They are on the way now and I am picking them up next week, so to those who have been patiently waiting for me to send them some gear it wont be much longer!
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 28 May 2012 12:10:44 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Gidday Kiwipete,

After having a chat to X-terra Steve, I got an X-terra 705 sent over from the States about 10 months ago. I wanted a do anything machine and being able to find really small gold wasn't important. The one thing I am still curious about is whether or not the really high frequency machines pick up all the shotgun pellets?

I have no trouble swinging it all day with the standard 7.5khz coil and the AA batteries were a plus for me. The only change I would now make is to get the waterproof 6" 18.75khz coil instead of the 5 x 10DD coil that comes in the gold pack.

That link from JW is good stuff. I suppose it all boils down to getting the best tool for the job, in the place you will be working.

Whatever machine you decide upon, if you are going to do parks etc., splash out the cash to get a garrett propointer.

e-cobo  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 December 2015 8:26:55 AM(UTC)
e-cobo

Bulgaria

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello fellows! Firs post here...

I had a 705 with a 6" HF coil. I've never found gold nuggets with it, but I was pretty much surprised how deep it finds shotgun shells as tiny as 2 mm in diameter. A great set.
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 December 2015 10:00:07 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hi kiwipete -

Given the choice between GB2 and X-Terra705 my choice would be for the Minelab purely for versatility -

Here is a link to a helpful guy who has some sound advice on Gold VLF's
http://www.detectorprosp...old-nugget-detectors.htm

Good luck with your choice
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
2 Pages<12