New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 23 November 2012 3:25:10 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Black sand = PI detector for any reasonable depth.

I have instructions for tuning the V3i into black sand and will try it out over Xmas time in Whitianga but not holding my breath (Simpsons Beach has a lot of Ilmenite rich black sands). If it does work then I won't be able to use it in the wet sand without falsing. With any VLF detector its hard to ground balance enough to get rid of the mineralisation. If you do manage it then depth will be very limited (like I suspect the V3i's will be). For regularly hunting the west coast beaches a PI detector like the Surf Dual Field will be well worth the investment & is what I'm looking at for my next detector.

Chris - I would be very interested to hear of confirmation with the CTX and how it goes in black sand as these beaches would literally be untapped goldmines.....
fiddy40  
Posted : Friday, 23 November 2012 5:24:46 PM(UTC)
fiddy40

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

No black sand at Whitianga or Simpsons is there? are you meaning deeper sand? please forgive ignorance.....been there done that and at Tairua. WOW the more I get into this detecting lark the more I become confused.....which is not the way to go........BUT hey I love it .
fiddy40  
Posted : Friday, 23 November 2012 5:26:53 PM(UTC)
fiddy40

New Zealand

Oh forgot to say...........don't use the words " Goldmines" the mainislanders will be heading this way :-)
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 23 November 2012 5:58:05 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
The far half of Simpsons is all black sand (Google shows it well here), as well as patches at some of the other local beaches which cause me problems now and again. Would love to get the detector programmed so I can hit these areas!

Buffalo Beach itself is fairly clean of black sand but they had such a large amount of erosion there 10-15 years ago there are no old targets left - buried too deep now. Still ok for new drops and the Brophey's end has produced some old pennies etc.

Ocean Beach at Tairua is a high energy beach, thus ok for new drops but to find any old jewellery or coins will be a matter of timing it after a storm has eroded the beach. The harbour though holds promise and is on my hit list!

I'm finding out the hard way any time I think I have detecting sussed - I end up back at the drawing board......

Edited by user Friday, 23 November 2012 6:18:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 23 November 2012 7:45:43 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
Black sand = PI detector for any reasonable depth.

Chris - I would be very interested to hear of confirmation with the CTX and how it goes in black sand as these beaches would literally be untapped goldmines.....

I am working on it Grant.
Apparently there is some progress being made with black sand.

Chris.

nzranger  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 12:02:12 PM(UTC)
nzranger

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: fiddy40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, am I wasting my time looking for any other DTs in the Hamilton area, it would appear if there are then they may shy? so please if you read this and are in or close to Hamilton get in touch. Regards Fiddy

I live rural hamilton but close enough. Just dropped you an email.

As for Raglan detecting. Was out there the other day for a swim and a detectorist showed up with an Infinium. He hadn't had much luck there but he was giving it a shot anyway. He was from Canada just on a holiday, said he doesnt leave the house without his detector. Gave me a few tips and we parted ways.
I gave the beach a go with my AT pro, which kindof worked but there was a lot of false readings that I gave up. I might try again sometime on black sands in a more deserted location for practice..
Current unit: Garrett AT Pro
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 12:27:33 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Lake Hamilton.. Interesting.... i think i am gona visit it with my Excal.....
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
fiddy40  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 12:33:16 PM(UTC)
fiddy40

New Zealand

Come on down mate, I have made contact with NZRanger and hopefully to have a date soon for some Mding, Yahoo, now I/we are getting somewhere. Bloody fantastic. My faith in Paydirt forum has been renewed.
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 12:58:54 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Haha, its just that it is 100 KM travel one way.

I wouldn't mind coming for couple of days either :-) have a couch for me?
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
fiddy40  
Posted : Sunday, 23 December 2012 1:15:45 PM(UTC)
fiddy40

New Zealand

I,m sure we can accommodate you, with pleasure. Let us see what the new year brings in.

regards
Pete
2 Pages<12