New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
roman holiday  
Posted : Sunday, 23 January 2011 7:54:28 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was hoping my super duper stream sluice machine would do all the work for me... lol

Looks like I'll need a pan. Would a bucket concentrator [refining sluice] replace the need for panning? You could possibly set it up on site, and use the hand pump for water supply.

Edited by user Sunday, 23 January 2011 7:56:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Flintlock  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 January 2011 5:23:15 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Bikerman wrote:
Arrived at last, needed some minor assembly, filled a bucket with water to try it out and was not impressed at all....OK...READ the instructions (rescued from the bin as per yer average kiwi bloke)and find that the leather washers on the plunger need a bit of pre-treatment with hot water and soap to remove the wax the leather has been treated with...re-asasembled.

Did you get the complete pump or the kitset? What was the freight cost?

Thanks
Bikerman  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 January 2011 2:55:58 AM(UTC)
Bikerman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Flintlock wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
Arrived at last, needed some minor assembly, filled a bucket with water to try it out and was not impressed at all....OK...READ the instructions (rescued from the bin as per yer average kiwi bloke)and find that the leather washers on the plunger need a bit of pre-treatment with hot water and soap to remove the wax the leather has been treated with...re-asasembled.

Did you get the complete pump or the kitset? What was the freight cost?

Thanks

The complete item... total price was NZ$195.12 delivered to Alex
Flintlock  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 January 2011 8:34:32 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

Thanks Bikerman, do you use it with the bucket or straight into the sluice box?
Might have to get one!!
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 January 2011 12:26:23 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
In relation to the question from roman holiday - material that's been through the bucket sluice generally still requires a little panning to separate the gold afterward, but the advantage is that you're panning super concentrates (spoonfuls) rather than bucket loads of material. I've got one and it performs really well for the modest investment.

As an aside I've actually toyed with the idea of running two or more bucket sluices in parallel on a recirculating water supply fed by a metered auto feeder. I have also considered making adjustable legs to vary the angle according to the material being run. Might be a project for winter...
Bikerman  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 January 2011 1:17:46 PM(UTC)
Bikerman

Yeah they are good huh Karl? I've taken mine strapped to the pack, set it up on a rock, trowel fed it and used a small pan to give it water...worked a treat

Use one of these first tho
http://www.gardeningaids...witem.php?productid=1165
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 January 2011 1:52:38 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I've only ever used mine for processing sluice box cons after the fact, but they're certainly compact and light enough to transport in the field. In fact you could even set up a recirculating system running off a small gel cell battery.
roman holiday  
Posted : Thursday, 27 January 2011 9:43:29 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

Karl McDowell wrote:
In relation to the question from roman holiday - material that's been through the bucket sluice generally still requires a little panning to separate the gold afterward, but the advantage is that you're panning super concentrates (spoonfuls) rather than bucket loads of material. I've got one and it performs really well for the modest investment.

As an aside I've actually toyed with the idea of running two or more bucket sluices in parallel on a recirculating water supply fed by a metered auto feeder. I have also considered making adjustable legs to vary the angle according to the material being run. Might be a project for winter...

Thanks for the info. So looks like a simple 2 or 3 step process; use your sluice box to gather the bulk of your concentrates, then further concentrate with a bucket sluice/ concentrator before finishing with a little panning. If the middle step could be done out in the field [as Bikerman suggests] this would save lugging about bulky concentrates, and the more super-concentrated stuff can then be further refined back home.

I'm back in the country looking for a camper now [the ones good for the job go fast!].... will be starting my adventures in Coromandel, before heading south in a month or so.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 27 January 2011 4:05:39 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Karl McDowell wrote:

Hi karl yes i was thinking of doing the same thing as in getting 3 or 4 of them and lineing them up side by side together to speed evrything up!! but in reality ther to small those youtube clips for the bucket sluice are a scam lol in my experince they dont work that great no matter what angle you have them on...they just overload with black sand its easyer to build your own and to make it wider and longer...even if you made something 3 times the size of the bucket sluice its still not that big...?
Flintlock  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 5:51:49 AM(UTC)
Flintlock

[
Hi karl yes i was thinking of doing the same thing as in getting 3 or 4 of them and lineing them up side by side together to speed evrything up!! but in reality ther to small those youtube clips for the bucket sluice are a scam lol in my experince they dont work that great no matter what angle you have them on...they just overload with black sand its easyer to build your own and to make it wider and longer...even if you made something 3 times the size of the bucket sluice its still not that big...?

My sluice tends to keep a large amount of blacksand as well as some small shingle, so this year I kept all the concentrate from the sluice box (about a 1 litre milk bottle full after a days sluicing) and after 3weeks work I put all of them back thru the bottom end of the sluice again (no riffles, just expanded mesh over nomad mat) Ended up with 1x1 litre bottle instead of 10.

starflash  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 6:56:35 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi Roman holiday

you will still need to pump into a bucket, it takes a long time to set up the sluice just wright, and then you would be limited to the length of your pipe, otherwise you would have to move the sluice all the time, bugger that.

other things to fit into that giant backpack of yours, a chilly bin, salt ice, 5 doz beers, chairs, table, tv, mysky and of course insect replent. i think that would just about cover it.

Edited by user Friday, 28 January 2011 7:01:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

starflash attached the following image(s):
boy-very-large_~mardep0086s.jpg
starflash  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 7:11:34 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Hi Roman Holiday

i saw this backpack for sale, i think its just what your after
starflash attached the following image(s):
giant-backpack01-1294528352.jpg
Bikerman  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 9:04:14 AM(UTC)
Bikerman

Yeah that seems a tad on the small side...obviously some sort of light day pack, I'd doubt you would get half a pallet of beer in that..mind you....if the missus had one too.....lol
roman holiday  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 11:21:11 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

starflash wrote:
Hi Roman holiday

you will still need to pump into a bucket, it takes a long time to set up the sluice just wright, and then you would be limited to the length of your pipe, otherwise you would have to move the sluice all the time, bugger that.

other things to fit into that giant backpack of yours, a chilly bin, salt ice, 5 doz beers, chairs, table, tv, mysky and of course insect replent. i think that would just about cover it.

Ha ha! If you see someone like this on the tracks, it's probably me:

UserPostedImage

I'm thinking a hose extension wouldn't take up too much room in a pack. The sluice box I have is not even a box but more like a sheet.. plastic california sluice box. This only weighs a kilo and can be strapped on the outside. It's the buckets that I'm thinking will take up most of the room. Yet to buy the pack.... I suspect I'll get some odd looks when they see me checking to see whether a 10 litre bucket fits in nicely. lol

The other thing I need is a good pair of waders to keep the feet/ legs dry. Anyone have any recommendations on what [and where] to buy in that dept?

Looking at this camper tomorrow. Looks like a bit of a workhorse, plenty of room for a fridge:

http://www.trademe.co.nz...zu/auction-349991939.htm

Edited by user Friday, 28 January 2011 11:28:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 11:23:37 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Oh, I thought that was the one for the missus to carry. LOL :)

Any way, at the end of the day you are always going to need a gold pan no matter what.

JW
roman holiday  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 11:33:47 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

kiwijw wrote:
Oh, I thought that was the one for the missus to carry. LOL :)

Any way, at the end of the day you are always going to need a gold pan no matter what.

JW

For sure JW, may have to go for the small one... to start of with. Are you still selling a bit of gear in Coro? I'll be over there in a week [will send you a PM], would be good to meet up.... and buy a few bits and pieces.

Edited by user Friday, 28 January 2011 11:34:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

petetsw  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 2:58:11 PM(UTC)
petetsw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hey roman i always strap my bucket on the back of the backpack with my goldpan and other stuff then i put the sieve on as a lid, works perfect for me
starflash  
Posted : Friday, 28 January 2011 3:12:45 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

not a bad place to put the bucket if its a nice flat walk but i have found it can be hard to get around the bush when your pack is to big. i put the bucket inside the pack and fill it up with other stuff so its well supported around the outside and on the inside. so when i do fall on my ass down that 10m bank to the river the bucket usually wont crack.

Edited by user Friday, 28 January 2011 3:14:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roman holiday  
Posted : Saturday, 29 January 2011 2:50:43 AM(UTC)
roman holiday

petetsw wrote:
hey roman i always strap my bucket on the back of the backpack with my goldpan and other stuff then i put the sieve on as a lid, works perfect for me

I was thinking of trying to travel a bit more incognito. If I could get everything pretty much inside the pack, with no obvious fossicking gear hanging out, the Doc dudes might mistake me for a tramper/ tourist. lol

I wonder if you can buy inflatable/ collapsable buckets.....lol

Edited by user Saturday, 29 January 2011 2:55:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Flintlock  
Posted : Saturday, 29 January 2011 3:47:07 PM(UTC)
Flintlock

roman holiday wrote:

JW

For sure JW, may have to go for the small one... to start of with. Are you still selling a bit of gear in Coro? I'll be over there in a week [will send you a PM], would be good to meet up.... and buy a few bits and pieces.

I think you may be disapointed with the smallest pan. I just bought a Garrett backpacker pan, the smallest and find it a bit too small. Mind you, I only wanted it for panning out the cons but still might get the next size up.
3 Pages<123>