New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 6 August 2015 3:14:04 PM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Golddigger7,

Awesome. That is the clearest view of it all that i have heard. I was just trying to get a clear picture of where it all stands as everyone, individuals and depts alike all seem to have varying responses and often i think they just don't know or are passing on second and info. Good stuff and thanks again.

Simon.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 November 2015 8:18:29 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Golddigger7 Go to Quoted Post
So some of you are going to need the new stealth dredge I currently have on the drawing board, invisible to all Greenies, LOL :-).

Stealth sluices are great - hippies even give you a friendly wave :)

UserPostedImage

Here is a happy chap with one in action:
UserPostedImage
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Golddigger7  
Posted : Monday, 14 December 2015 10:42:48 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
that looks like the 2014 model, the west coast model is decorated in Green Gold, and the 2015 is caefully disguised as a dairy cow as they are now a familiar sight in our waterways
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 14 December 2015 11:24:25 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavzilla Go to Quoted Post
I had a terrano until the arrow river claimed it as its own now I have a safari.

A late late response from me... so what happened out of curiosity? Any photos? Been up and down there a few times now for a bit of 4wd fun with friends when down that way. Usually let the friend drive back so they can have a bit of fun. But never seemed too gnarly. Maybe the river was up when you were in there?
gavzilla  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 December 2015 8:07:11 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I do have a pic but I can't remember how to upload them on here!
It was after some heavy rain, a few days later I wanted to get up towards the 8 mile river. The arrow had shifted a fair bit in the rain and new islands were deposited throughout. Got up to the 6th or 7th crossing - it looked no different to normal I've walked it a thousand times. So plowed through and just sunk straight down in the middle, all the gravel has been pushed through and replaced with fine silt! The water was up to the top of the windscreen of the terrano so nearly 5 feet or so deep. Opened my door and got sucked out down stream along with everything inside truck. I had a hand winch and ropes but it didn't budge, the 2 ton winch was at its limit with the truck and the water.

I did learn a few things that day though,
* never use an automatic hub truck through rivers, as they quickly become 1 wheel drive!
* (something my friend learned) never walk upstream of the truck crossing back over the river, he got partially sucked under from the force of flow under the truck.
* always have a good winch! Or recovery gear.
*Also if the bloody nomads safari guys break down, then drive past and leave them there whilst giving them the finger, as it's pretty much what they did to us.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 8:32:49 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Some good points there Gavin.
Still laughing about Nomads. They won't stop. They're on tour. Paying customers and all that. Your misfortune just becomes part of their tour highlights. They are professional drivers is the saying. See attachment.

I don't drive up the Arrow anymore. Last time nearly killed the truck in what had been one of the easiest and shallowest crossings. The river definitely a lot rougher these days. You really do need to have something raised up as high as possible.
simon attached the following image(s):
1433712086090.jpg
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 9:11:43 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Cheers Gavin, some good tips! Surprising about the Nomad Safari guys - I'd always imagined they'd give a helping hand if I got stuck. I guess you need to get stuck somewhere tactical where they can't continue the tour without getting you out of the way.

So basically I think the tip is - don't get complacent. I can imagine the same thing happening to me as had so many easy runs of the Arrow!
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 10:39:00 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

haha, i think with all rivers they can change so quick. the day you think just go for it like every other day is the day you need to get out and check conditions. the arrow is pretty standard. always drive up next to the boulders placed at the fords at this is where the gravels have built up the most, never cut straight across which is guaranteed to lead you into a hole at some point. and you need a plan. flying at it at top speed is usually not the ideal unless you have done such things before and know what your vehicles can do. i have seen so many idiots to this at the first crossing under the pipeline. rather than go around the edge of the boulders they accelerate but forget the force of the water that slows you down. thus the nice big v in the water parts until mid stream where they lose momentum, stall, the water comes back and its all on. works if you have a beast. just don't fool yourself that something like a stock terrano or surf is that beast. that said i've seen guys make it through in vans. just open both side door and let the water flow through!
Golddigger7  
Posted : Friday, 18 December 2015 10:27:34 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
mmmmm......think a saw the Terrano stuck, or similar, wastnt actually following the road but driving up the river bad and looked like it got stuck in 2 ft of silt. Sorry bout driving past but looked like it was all under control with a tow vehicle, :-). Rock on 1996 hilux, hasnt missed a heartbeat yet
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 6:51:24 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKd-DzSn8uU

I'd say the guy was an excellent drifter.

Edited by user Saturday, 9 January 2016 6:52:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
2 Pages<12