New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
harryscott  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 May 2015 8:04:51 PM(UTC)
harryscott

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Also if there is no claim you are still aloud to prospect. and you are alould ten meters each side of a river
If there is a claim there's no reason why you could not go above it?

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 May 2015 9:30:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

harryscott  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 May 2015 8:10:13 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 May 2015 8:15:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LBD  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 May 2015 10:31:51 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: harryscott Go to Quoted Post
Also if there is no claim you are still aloud to prospect. and you are alould ten meters each side of a river
If there is a claim there's no reason why you could not go above it?

You are not allowed to prospect without a prospecting licence from petroleum and minerals... either pan and use a sluice within the rules in a public area or do what you like if you have a claim owners permission, and permission to access the place from the land owner... including DOC or LINZ ... anything less is illegal, poaching, theft or trespass... and what you do, still needs to be within the RMA limits.

Just because an area is public access, and not claimed does not mean you are allowed to mine or even prospect.... by the rules.

That said, It would need to be a real uptight person who got upset at some one with a pan only on their claim. Me, I turn a blind eye or even help and teach when I find Mum Dad and Kids panning or using a small sluice on my claim...
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 May 2015 11:13:25 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Well said by LBD above. Harry, I would go out of my way to check where claims are before heading out each trip. I personally do not go on someone's claim without permission as they have spent time and money to get their claim. If you really must go and pan on a certain claimed spot hit up the owner. They may let you on their claim. on their terms. if you have a chat with a claim owner they can sum you up and figure out if you are someone they want to have on their claim.
outside of claims all land is owned and managed by someone whether private or a lease or the Crown or whatever. as LBD said you technically can't even pan on these lands without a prospecting permit. In reality no one is going to chase you up for having a pan on a nice stretch of water. if its private land of course you would need permission. public land you are free to enter pretty much, sort of prob national parks. perhaps just have some consideration so as not to wreck it for future people. so no huge holes, undermining banks, all that sort of stuff. basically leave no trace you were there. keeping in the waterway is usually a good idea if you can as the next flood comes along and you won't even see where you've been.
i don't think theres anyone out there waiting to catch you having a pan or sluice without spending thousands getting a prospecting permit. you're more likely to get in trouble when photographed by a member of the public really. if you find a good spot there aren't to many people about anyway, and most will be curious as to how you're going. trouble only comes when you do dumb stuff. like tresspassing, creating large scale permanent messes, and generally upsetting others.
talk to others out there and you will get a good idea of what goes and doesn't.
with just handheld gear and no motors and battery setups you should be ok in most places.
kirk  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 May 2015 10:53:38 AM(UTC)
kirk

New Zealand

The short answer is no , with a lot of claims in that area they are owned by groups
harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 May 2015 7:02:13 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Sorry you're been misunderstood ,I ment all over nz because I know we're a lot of gold deposits are around newzeland are because my friend is a geologist that's all

LBD  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 May 2015 7:21:40 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Sorry Harry... who has been misunderstood?

You made the statement.... "Also if there is no claim you are still aloud to prospect. and you are alould ten meters each side of a river"

Simply put... that statement is wrong... and if your geologist friend made that statement, then he is wrong and he should know better.

harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 May 2015 9:43:05 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

Ok then.........?
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 15 May 2015 4:59:05 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Best to contact the claim owners and see if they'll give you permission to have a play.
harryscott  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 May 2015 4:45:17 PM(UTC)
harryscott

New Zealand

ok
2 Pages<12