New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
nafcd  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 May 2015 7:48:17 PM(UTC)
nafcd

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
looks like someone did. tm withdrew the auction. bidding got up to $150
Reubin  
Posted : Friday, 22 May 2015 12:18:33 AM(UTC)
Reubin

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Several months back I was told on reasonably good authority that the Chinese had hacked Minlab's computer systems stealing the blue prints to their detector range. When exactly I'm not sure but I believe within the last couple of years? Now the upshot/downside to that is all of a sudden the Chinese can now not only copy Minelabs detectors buy they can now reproduce them exactly for a fraction of the cost. Who wouldn't be tempted? A big technological advancement for them. If you look at Minelab's latest detectors, CTX 3030, SDC 2300, GPZ 7000 and the Go Find range they seem to have reinvented themselves over the past 2 years recreating their "flag-ship" bread and butter detectors. Their advertisements of the GPZ 7000 even seem to rubbish the GPX 5000. Maybe someone else has some more info on this??

Cheers
R
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 22 May 2015 11:40:52 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Reubin Go to Quoted Post
Several months back I was told on reasonably good authority that the Chinese had hacked Minlab's computer systems stealing the blue prints to their detector range. When exactly I'm not sure but I believe within the last couple of years? Now the upshot/downside to that is all of a sudden the Chinese can now not only copy Minelabs detectors buy they can now reproduce them exactly for a fraction of the cost. Who wouldn't be tempted? A big technological advancement for them. If you look at Minelab's latest detectors, CTX 3030, SDC 2300, GPZ 7000 and the Go Find range they seem to have reinvented themselves over the past 2 years recreating their "flag-ship" bread and butter detectors. Their advertisements of the GPZ 7000 even seem to rubbish the GPX 5000. Maybe someone else has some more info on this??

Cheers
R

All well and good, except I doubt the Chinese would use the same level of QC/QA or components with the same tolerances.
You also waive your guarantee as, if a fault develops, as soon as you send it back to ML they confiscate it.

I know a lot of kit is outsourced to Asia, but at least the parent companies still have a say in the quality, and accordingly backs up their product.
2 Pages<12