New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
snowdrop  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 10:58:42 PM(UTC)
snowdrop

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Couldn't agree more. Small amount from everyone doesn't break the bank. Snowdrop
snowdrop  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 10:59:39 PM(UTC)
snowdrop

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Couldn't agree more. Small amount from everyone doesn't break the bank. Snowdrop
Camtrell1980  
Posted : Friday, 18 December 2015 6:17:32 AM(UTC)

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: SPAM
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 January 2016 8:18:57 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
It would be nice when logging in to be kept on the same forum post, rather than being shot back to the forum front page. If that is possible.
I agree with subscription based forum - then you'd have to deal with less spammers.

On mobile phones the Shout Box is expanded, however on computers it is compacted - can you change this default setting ( I nearly thought it wasn't available on the computer).

Edited by user Thursday, 12 May 2016 10:07:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 12 May 2016 10:41:53 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

There is another annoying bug, when you move to different pages in a single post, it sends you back to the first page, and as you cannot see the next page it requires multiple clicks to get back to where you were. This is also an issue when doing a search. Click on page 7, it goes back to page 1, then you cannot see page 7 until anther few clicks or the arrow. I found pressing back in my browser takes me back to page 6 then I can retry 7, though perhaps this doesn't work as well for search. Clicking the 20 pages button to the left of the page buttons then putting in the page number you require can be a helpful alternative.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 24 July 2016 6:38:49 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Date parameters on the search would be nice
gavzilla  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2016 12:37:44 PM(UTC)
gavzilla

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Any chance you could make posting pictures a bit easier? For me it would make paydirt a much easier site to use and will obviously help people get more pics up on here, I understand it takes up a lot of server space but there must be cloud options available now with big storage.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:56:36 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I'm eyeing up https://www.discourse.org/ as a possible forum replacement. You can just drag and drop pictures in = far too easy!

Also has great features to allow the community itself to moderate posts etc. which I think is cool. Also as you're more active / reputation you get the more powers you get on the forums to edit stuff.

Only trouble is that I would have to freeze the current forums and people would have to re-register with the new one. I think it's worth the effort though.

Just doing a bit more research first, but feel it could be the way forward. Discourse has a tonne of cool features that will make things a bit more modern and convenient.

If anyone wants to have a play to see how easy it is head on over to https://try.discourse.org/ - it's a nice sandbox to play in that gets blow away every day and reset. Have a play and see how easy it is to drop photos in to posts! ;)
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 12 August 2016 6:58:21 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

There is a lot of information on these forums, what would happen to all of it?
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 12 August 2016 10:49:27 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
There is a lot of information on these forums, what would happen to all of it?

I was thinking of preserving it all as an archive in a read-only state, so you could still link back, search and reference old posts. Far too much good knowledge so don't want to loose it.
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 13 August 2016 4:57:18 PM(UTC)
gavin

I am really keen to build up the community and empower you users more to moderate yourselves, smite trolls, and remove spam without my intervention. I'm experimenting with http://www.discourse.org/ currently and will leave it to the community to decide if we move over from this traditional old-skool forum system to something more modern that can compete with Facebook a bit more.

I notice that there's a few Facebook groups, but I'm not the biggest fan of Facebook as anything posted there is a bit transient. A forum preserves information in a searchable fashion which keep on providing value years after it's been posted.

One thing Facebook posting does very well is making it easy to share photos and videos. The Discourse forum platform I'm playing with allows you to drag and drop photos or paste in youtube links to get an embedded video - just like Facebook.

Seems like a major forum upgrade to me, but it's a shame I can't port all you users and content. This forum would have to be left as a read-only archive, so at least nothing will be lost.

Edited by user Saturday, 13 August 2016 4:58:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Removed accidental quote

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 13 August 2016 8:02:06 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Have to agree, I'm not a fan of facebook either, they change the way it operates so often aswell.
I tried that metal detect nz group, and couldn't see users posts for all the American Metal Detecting spam in the newsfeed.

That is a good idea about moderators, there are some good guys on here who'd be great moderators.
2 Pages<12