New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

5 Pages«<2345>
nzgold  
Posted : Saturday, 28 May 2011 1:53:35 PM(UTC)
nzgold

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Most claim owners (Not all, but most) will be only too happy to let you on to their claim provided you're not dredging. I completely agree with you 100% that the Moke Arrow etc. should be open for recreational dredgers, but people claim these spots up not so much to stop others from using the areas, but so that they can dredge there happily without looking over their shoulder, and to be on the right side of the law.
Take for the example the Arrow, it is all pretty well claimed up now, but if you pan or sluice there no-ones going to say boo. It's only if you start dredging on a claimed area that people will kick up a hooha.
And Lammerlaw I completely agree with you about the politics involved with land access.
It's a sign of the times. We let the most unpractical people in our country run it. Doesn't make sense :(
Goodnight :)
nzg
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 3:53:03 AM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
If anyone needs help working out who owns land in order to enquire about access then let me know. I have land title data for the entire country.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 4:18:08 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
living near the arrow i agree fully.

the law should allow the use of dredges by the hobbyist.

why not even limit it to say a 2 inch? i would be surprised if you could get too carried away and dredge a whole river in a hurry with a 2 inch.

bring back some sort of user pays system. i would be happy to pay for the privilege.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 5:57:39 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
simon wrote:
living near the arrow i agree fully.

the law should allow the use of dredges by the hobbyist.

why not even limit it to say a 2 inch? i would be surprised if you could get too carried away and dredge a whole river in a hurry with a 2 inch.

bring back some sort of user pays system. i would be happy to pay for the privilege.

I think it is quite criminal to allow individuals or groups to claim the likes of the Arrow, Moke Creek, Moonlight and other places where many people enjoy going and tourists can be taken to pan and potter about to their hearts content. The government should be forced by popular demand and pressure to put these areas aside in perpetuity for all - in other words areas classified exempt from claiming for the good of the public. This could be forced upon the government by pressure from hobbiest miners, tourism industry, DOC etc with the DOC estate being automatically exempt as public estate with rights of access to he public for recreation use including non invasive mining restricted to skuba diving with hand held devices such as snifters (correct name - they are not sniffers) bent screwdrivers, a drag hoe and similar but excluding mechanical means.
If it is deemed reasonable to allow the claiming of some rivers for mining the a 1k limit be placed on that river with no less than say four 'sharholders' and no shareholder can be named in any more than one claim. That may seem a bit draconian but when you look at Deep Stream and the Taieri river it is the same group who have many, many miles of river claimed and it would take many lifetimes to work it all thoroughly...they should only be permitted 1k at a go.
At the same time it should be easier for claims to be taken up by ordinary citizens - the old wardens court system should be put back into place.
The government has purposely made it difficult for ordinary Kiwis to take out small claims where they can go during weekends and leisure time.

The weekend hobbiest gold fossickers should band together to form a club similar to the Pig Hunters Club, The Deerstalkers Club, Landrover Club et al - this club would pay a subscription as any club would, have its constitution, lobbiests on behalf of its members and so on. It would liaise with DOC, other departments, Landowners, Tourism Industry and so on.
Its aims would be to protect the rights of all New Zealanders to access THEIR own country in pursuit of their hobby. To gain support and popularity it would support other clubs with outdoor interests, tramping clubs, Hunting organisations, 4WD clubs and all who have an interest in the outdoors. The object here is in unit there is strength. The Gold Fossickers federation or whatever they might call themselves would be low impact and they would support only as far as say 6inch dredging maximum. They would need to show that they were not high profile miners but rather hobbiests in order to have the support of DOC and others and also that they only operated within the bounds of the law.

The above idea could work well if it was formed properly and no one was permitted to join to use the organisation to support their own hidden agendas. Its main goal and priorities would be low impact mining in keeping with the historical and environmental values of the land, protect the rights of all New Zealanders to access the land for the purposes of enjoying their hobby and interests, to ensure that large areas of rivers were not tied up by groups or mining companies, to ensure that large areas were open to public fossicking, to ensure access to leasehold land subject to certain conditions (eg no access during trout spawning or lambing etc)

Edited by user Thursday, 2 June 2011 6:46:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 12:18:19 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi all
interesting read....but!
i reckon there,s enuf tourist,s here doing what they want to do now infact they seem to have axcces to some great country that is a no go for us kiwi,s..a lot of that station country that has deer on now have locked up there gate,s for trophy hunting,fishing and look at how quickly doc & the goverment changed there mind on heli hunting for the tourist,s...shotover river you wouldnt wana put a dredge in there or even set up a sluice for fear of getting run down or causing an accident...you would want to have good public liability insurance!!....
im in favor of being able to claim area,s to be work,d why should,nt a bloke be able to try and make a buck off the land...
if your a weekend fossicker or even a full time one! there,s lot,s of places to get a bit of color from i mean im not talking ounce,s but a bit of gold in ya bottle maybe a nugget or 2 i also think the fossicking area,s should be scraped and allow hand tools or perhaps a small dredge,detectors to be used.
however im definatly in favor of haveing large area,s under massive permits by multinationals scrap,d...and of fella,s having claims that just sit there unworked.
thats my 2 cents worth for...all it,s worth ! :)
gbm.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 12:21:29 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
@Karl - I'm often wondering who ownes a bit of land, even just for 4wd access to a spot. Do you mind telling me where you can get hold of land title data? Cheers :)

@Lammerlaw - Sounds like a good idea! Any volunteers out there?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 12:29:39 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

gavin wrote:
@Karl - I'm often wondering who ownes a bit of land, even just for 4wd access to a spot. Do you mind telling me where you can get hold of land title data? Cheers :)

@Lammerlaw - Sounds like a good idea! Any volunteers out there?

I am very good at suggestions but lazy when it comes to doing! Unless it is heading out to the far mountain then I tend to do nothing! Someone with good Party political propoganda skills and the gift of the gab would be suited! Seriously though the suggestion does have a great deal of merit and I do not say that because I suggested it but because similar organisations but different interests do have a great deal of say in matters. eg Colfo - an organisation to look after the interests of all firearm related groups does get listened to by the police and politicians and their suggestions are taken seriously. Invididuals dont have this clout but many people together through their combined interest association or organisation do.
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 4:56:00 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Hi Gavin,

There are a couple of different options for obtaining land parcel data for use in GIS software.

Firstly for a modest fee you can purchase a bulk data extract from Land Information NZ and parse the data into a suitable format. If you're not compentent at writing a parser able to do this it is damn near impossible to extract anything meaningful.

Alternatively there are several resellers who will supply the data in pratically any spatial format you could name. The downside is that this attracts additional cost.

Cheers
KM
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 5:29:13 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers Karl - was half playing with the idea of coming up with another tool to help people track down the right people to seek permissions from for land access, etc. But probably a minefield of legal issues there and the possibility it might be abused so think I'll leave that idea for now.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 5:40:34 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

I was once told that if you get a topo map of the area you were looking at then take that round to the local council they have a transparent map with all the paper roads on it you place it on top of your topo map and bob,s ya uncle...so i was told...
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 2 June 2011 6:38:06 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

gingerbreadman wrote:
I was once told that if you get a topo map of the area you were looking at then take that round to the local council they have a transparent map with all the paper roads on it you place it on top of your topo map and bob,s ya uncle...so i was told...

Cadastral maps have these paper roads on them but locating the paper roads on the ground can be hard and thats where the problems and bones of contention lie. A paper road runs along one of my boundaries and I am happy to admit that but...it aint as easy as that.
criticol  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 5:56:37 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hello All.

I dont think that they are designated "Paper roads" any more?

They are now called U.L.Rs,== "Unformed Legal Roads"
These ULRs were written into the very earliest surveys to provide future access to the Interior of the lands/and/or landlocked areas.
There are thousands of these proposed roads still logged in all over the country.

Cheers---Colin.

Edited by user Friday, 3 June 2011 5:59:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 7:32:23 AM(UTC)
gavin

Very interesting - I hadn't heard of these paper roads / ULR's. I'm curious now. Would these tend to be 4wd tracks? Do they ever have locked gates? And what's the deal if there are locked gates?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 7:32:39 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

criticol wrote:
Hello All.

I dont think that they are designated "Paper roads" any more?

They are now called U.L.Rs,== "Unformed Legal Roads"
These ULRs were written into the very earliest surveys to provide future access to the Interior of the lands/and/or landlocked areas.
There are thousands of these proposed roads still logged in all over the country.

Cheers---Colin.

Yes indeed they are everywhere - many however are tied up in the darndest ways - rake Halfway Bush road for example where it goes right down to Wingatui - DCC have close it off to vehicular access and it can now only be traversed by foot or horse. Another one I know leads right through the middle of a swamp so totally impractical. The one on my boundary is 25m from my track in one or two spots but it aint my track - it goes through high flaxes, across a swamp and straight up the mountain face without detouring from a high rock face.
I was once told that back in the old days many of the paper roads were put in place by the first cartographers without any idea of the topograhpy of the land in some cases...and that makes sense!
starflash  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 12:07:06 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
gavin wrote:
Very interesting - I hadn't heard of these paper roads / ULR's. I'm curious now. Would these tend to be 4wd tracks? Do they ever have locked gates? And what's the deal if there are locked gates?

hi gavin

if it is a true paper road then the public has legal access to it, the 4x4 clubs know of them to well and use many of the on their club days. i used to live opposite one for a few years and my mate rescued many big 4x4s with his vitara and a winch.

as i value rural land amongst other things many farmers have fenced off these roads and turned to grazing if never used by the public. farmers are very savy and generally won't bat an eyelid if they see you walking over them. there is the odd exception though. there is a classic example of one that accesses an excellent lake front fishing area on lk wanaka where the farmer has other ideas. i think eagle has had a few run ins with him.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 12:13:11 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

gavin wrote:

The old paper roads have made the news many times before because of were they are... a lot of them running through private property some people take it upon them selfs to guard (paper road,s url,s)sometimes some people put a lock,s on gate,s then someone chop,s the lock or the gate! and so on..i remember last year on the news some cocky up north was trying to charge people for crossing his land but it was actually a paper road so he bulldosed a road block up! its never ending...there was a fella locked up a few years back for clubing some cyclist over the back of the head leaving him unconscious then shot the guys dog!...never a dull moment when it come,s to access!
gbm.

Edited by user Friday, 3 June 2011 12:28:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 2:35:55 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I can't remember how I got hold of this site, I think it was probably from someone on the forum.It displays public areas, but I don't know how accurate it is.
http://wams.org.nz/wams
criticol  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 3:01:34 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Dave. (GJJ109)

Hey I thought you had a good memory? or do you rely on "GPS:

It was me that sent you that info site--- http://wams.org.nz/wams

God I don`t know what to do about these people with collander memories. :):)

Edited by user Friday, 3 June 2011 3:03:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 3:18:16 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hi Colin, That was just a test to see if you could remember that it was you.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 June 2011 6:41:53 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

The map showing paper roads is interesting but no different from a cadastral map I dont think. The interesting point however is that one has to keep within the bounds of the road and in many cases these roads can lead you past many interesting and exciting places but you cannot access those places legally so that in truth the maps are of no practical use whatsoever inmany cases!
In other cases they provide an impractical route to a place to which one might wish to access due to the topography of the land while a good farm track or alternative route far more easily accessed runs parallel or close by.
The map Colin has indicated is really only of use as a handy reference to where the roads exist but on the ground itself it is much harder to determine the correct position of the legal road.
It is also a fact that due to the ignorance of people becoming high handed and trying to 'get it over' the farmer, leasee or other parties with a vested interest in the road or land, dictating terms to the land user or occupier, they make of themselves a burden which only makes access harder because there are more and more moves afoot to have these roads closed and indeed they can be for special reasons, lambing etc. Access to these paper roads can be restricted by various means usually to foot traffic only and not only that but the very nature of the country can make it impossible to access or traverse said paper road by any but foot access.
Vehicles attempting to traverse these paper roads can provide a great deal of embarrasssment for their owners when they decide to sink in swamps, roll on slopes and otherwise fail. Farmers in these situations are hardly sympathetic and one situation I remember some years ago saw the Landrover belonging to a person who decided to be belligerent stay stuck in a swamp for several weeks before its rescue was negotiated with the very farmer who had been laughed at some weeks previously.
5 Pages«<2345>