New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
Goldnut  
Posted : Saturday, 5 November 2011 8:01:44 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Here are some silvers that i found that have not been cleaned... you can see the difference.
Goldnut attached the following image(s):
PB020034.JPG
PB020036.JPG
PB020039.JPG
PB020042.JPG
PB020040.JPG
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Monday, 7 November 2011 10:19:54 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Where is the 1931 thre pence from? I have not seen one of those.
Goldnut  
Posted : Monday, 7 November 2011 5:35:18 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

that was found on my driveway in New York when I was 13.
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 7 November 2011 7:29:04 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Where is the 1931 thre pence from? I have not seen one of those.

Its a threepence from Great Britain - it has three acorns on it - I have never seen one either but my coin catalogues identified it for me so now we all know! If I am correct they were only minted form 1927 through to 1936 with the 1927 ones only issued as proof coins....just as well I only collect pre 1921 British coins otherwise I might go gaa gaa over it!

Edited by user Monday, 7 November 2011 8:10:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Monday, 7 November 2011 9:07:55 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

I like the design much better than the earlier ones.
tonznz  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 November 2011 10:19:06 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
before and after shots. ammonia and vinegar. day in household ammonia and then an hour or so in vinegar then back to a day in ammonia. still have some more ammonia soaking to do to improve the other side of the half crown. It has an area with a red brown stain which is resisting my efforts.

Edited by user Tuesday, 8 November 2011 11:19:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tonznz attached the following image(s):
after.JPG
DSC00397 (640x438).jpg
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 20 January 2012 12:56:49 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Had a bit of a disaster while cleaning with ammonia; I had 20 or so silver coins soaking and threw a little Saint Christopher looking thing in with them. I am not sure what it was made of (not silver) and it turned black and had all this black mossy looking stuff growing off of it. It had a curious effect on the coins, and not a good effect. They changed colors and I have worked with minimal success getting them back to a normal looking tone or a silver looking shine. I now have quite a few pinto stained things with partial off-color tone and off shine and some that are toned on one side and over cleaned on the other. Very few of them look acceptable. So I guess the take home message is not to throw other crap in the cleaner with good coins.

Another experiment I did was to fill my tumbler with walnut shells and tumble some pennies. I used to do a lot of reloading and used crushed wallnut shell to clean fired brass in a vibrating tumbler. So I figured it might clean up pennies without knocking the patina off. I ran some overnight and it did a reasonable job of cleaning them up, but the edges were getting nicked up from banging into each other so that didn’t really work out.
rgmcbrid attached the following image(s):
Ruined.jpg
TumbledPenny.jpg
Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 20 January 2012 2:37:41 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Use vinigar/lemmon juice and rubb salt on to those coins... it will take the black off. Something simular happend to one of mine and it works. cheers
nzdigger  
Posted : Monday, 18 June 2012 8:50:29 PM(UTC)
nzdigger

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Goldnut Go to Quoted Post
Did some of my coins the other day and here are some pics. they all have a before and an after the 1/2 crown you can see the before in the group shot. They turned out a bit more shinny than I would have liked but they came out quite nice.

hi there,try your coins in white vinegar for about twenty mins,then clean of with a tooth brush under running warm water,amazing.
Good to go  
Posted : Monday, 27 August 2012 7:48:23 PM(UTC)
Good to go

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members (Oct 2013)

Woman

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I found on youtube a way for silvers that are not valuable , ive tried it silvers come out brand new. Put some baking soda in a wee container, add enuf water to make to a paste...like toothpaste , put on coins and rub togetherit onto coin keep going until spotless and wallah
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 1 February 2014 2:04:56 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I have been using a cheap dremel type tool, with felt attachment wheels and Autosol polish. It cleans up the spendable coins like new, and if you go lightly (don't overdo it) it cleans up the older coins to shown some detail and remove most of the stains. It doesn't take long and after a while you get a good idea how much they need. Probably shouldn't go near anything rare and valuable though, and if the Dremel comes with wirebrush attachments leave them in the case!
There is probably more experienced people out there that will cringe at the idea
2 Pages<12