New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 11:38:33 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I noted John comment and must admit that I had never heard that the old timers used 'tin' pans - I have heard the expression 'To use a tin pan to pan gold' but they also used 'tin cans' to preserve foods - in truth I would highly doubt that tin pans were made of tin - at the outside they might have been tin plated but the plating would wear out within an extremely short time - tin cans were not made of tin either. Tin cans were made of sheet steel and tin plated only.

Old time pans were made of the best quality of Russia iron, stamped out of a single sheet, with the edge turned over a stout wire. (Nevada-outback-Gems.com)

As I said in my last contribution above the old chap who came gold mining with me had spotless pans, shiny and well preserved without one speck of rust. These pans were extremely old ones having come down through his family before him as his father (died 1904) and his grandfather (One of New Zealands pioneer miners) were both well known in mining circles - he used them during the depression era for week end panning and was still using them up until he was around ninety years of age.

The secret was simple - when it was the end of the day it was dried and it was kept dry. They were not stored in a damp environment, left on the ground under the cellar or in any other damp location but hung up as he had leather straps riveted to them for carrying.

The thing that kept them rust free was simply caring for them and never leaving them wet or in a damp place.

I guess most guys on here are like me - use them and abuse them, leave them outside the hut, boil water in them, use them to wash the dishes and then throw them onto the tray of the truck to fill full of rain and exposed to the elements. I also learnt the hard way that heating them red hot seems to promote rusting!
arvenderpan  
Posted : Saturday, 20 April 2013 1:58:20 AM(UTC)
arvenderpan

Here you guys have a wonderful tricks for the remove rust from the steel pans ..
I also want to share my personal experience you about this issue.
you can remove rust in steel with the help of salt and some coconut oil for the shine.
Ntep floor scales | Food Scale

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 November 2013 6:10:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 20 April 2013 9:32:26 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
i have an old rusty pan i find that gold will stick to the rust instead of washing back and forward and sliding on the smooth surface but i do prefer my black plastic pan

you could try soaking it in old car oil BUT im lead to believe that oil causes gold to float eg you dont pan when you have insect replent on you handa, or petrol from filling up the motor i carry a small bottle of detergent and put a couple of drops in my wash dirt bucket before i start washing (panning) this removes all oilly stuff

i would say oil your pan really well then the gold will just float out over the edge back in the river for me to pick up with my rusty pan also use plenty of insect replent and suntan loation or what ever its called

i prefer to leave my pan outside to get rust in it down the river with a shinny pan makes one look as a newby and people dont believe all the bullshit i spin an old felt hat helps with the image and drive a landrover

fact or fiction take out of this what you will it my be one of my bullshit stories

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 20 April 2013 8:40:34 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: arvenderpan Go to Quoted Post
Here you guys have a wonderful tricks for the remove rust from the steel pans ..
I also want to share my personal experience you about this issue.
you can remove rust in steel with the help of salt and some coconut oil for the shine.

Or you could simply use it more !
A mate of myn has the shineyist pan simply because it gets used a lot 1 summer he got just under 14 ounces from using nothing more than his pan !! I think he,s packing some serious junk that fella haha.
Posted : Tuesday, 3 September 2013 10:18:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified
2 Pages<12