New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
5AMP  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 1:19:37 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Does anybody know how to stop a steel pan rusting? I know some say rust helps panning but I like to see the gold against dark steel.
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 1:48:59 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Phosphoric acid?

5AMP  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 2:06:20 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Thank you for that-I will try it.

I had also read that leaving the pan in a hot fire will do the trick but I didn't want to risk ruining a good pan because I seem to remember that any time I have left steel in a fire it seems to rust even qucker.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 2:15:39 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
After the acid rinse well, dry and apply some cooking oil to stop the rust returning.
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 2:57:10 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
They used to burn them to get the rust quicker I thought, not the opposite. Or you could try a steelo pad or wire brush and then clear coat it. It would need doing again in time though obviously.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 3:05:33 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
If you use it enough it wont have a chance to go rusty. The abrasive action of the gravels will see to that. If you want to stop it rusting between trips then dry the pan and rub some oil on it. Alternatively get yourself a plastic pan, they last for ages I had one for years untill I droped a big lump of wood on it and it broke. Now I dont have one at all because I gave up using a pan.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 7:38:40 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
I have to agree with hatter on this one. That being that if you use it often enough then it wont have time to rust. In reality this isnt the case though & I know that all too well. Plastic is the answer. As has been said rust actualy does help to hold on to fine gold in a steel pan. The burning of a steel pan is for two reasons.....three really. Firstly when you buy a steel pan from new, it has a coating of oil on it to STOP IT FROM RUSTING for resale value. The idea of burning a new pan is to get rid of that oil as the oil will not be good for fine gold recovery. Causing the fine gold to get a coating of the oil on it & float out of your pan. But the burning also "blues" your pan giving it that darker look that makes the gold stick out. Like a black plastic pan. It also does help stop it from rusting to a certain extent. You need to get it red hot & then let it then cool naturaly. That way it wont warp or buckle.
I have used steel pans & actualy prefer them for finer gold. But these days I use a plastic pan for my main panning & little steel finishing pan for putting my final black sand concentrates into & drying off on a stove or fire so I can blow off the impurities. The little pan is now of a blue/black colour from the heat & doesnt rust. I live in Whangamata on the coast with its salty atmosphere & it isnt showing any sign of rust. Unlike my other steel pans sitting in my man cave. They are rusty as.

JW :)
simon  
Posted : Friday, 16 March 2012 8:55:06 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
some good points on when to use or not to use a metal pan or a plastic pan.

the old timers preferred metal as it showed the gold well. they left their pans out in the rain or 'blued' them in the camp fire as pointed out by jw.

when i say the old timers preferred them i guess i'm talking more of modern day old timers as the pioneer miners had no choice as plastic ones weren't in existence.

myself, i prefer plastic as it is light. unless you have discovered gold next to a road you will have to lug various gear into a gold producing spot. keeping the weight down is essential.

a good trick is to drill a hole in the rim of the plastic pan. drill it opposite the riffled side. you can then attach the pan to the outside of your pack with a carabiner. easy access for when you need your pan and no more wet pack insides.

one downside is that plastic can crack. plastic pans are extremely durable though and unless you are rather rough with your pan it shouldn't split. at $8 a pop it isn't too much though to acquire another. a mate of mine managed to stand on his the other day and crack it.

which reminds me of the second downside to plastic. it floats. be careful when throwing your pan on the riverbank as they tend to hit a rock and bounce back towards the channel. if a good flow is present you may see your pan float off down river.

as for the fine gold floating off i don't think there is too much between the plastic and metal pans. after a while the plastic pans 'rough up' and do hold the fine gold well. i had a plastic pan where a very fine speck of flour gold somehow got stuck to the plastic pan. by stuck i mean you could roughly run a key or screwdriver over it and it wouldn't budge. it was well wedged in a very fine groove in the pan i think. it was a good way of knowing which pan was mine when out with several mates on the river. as there pans were little used and i prefer to use a well broken in one. nothing like a few gouges in the plastic to help catch the gold.
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 18 March 2012 7:23:16 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Plastic doesnt transfer the cold icey snow melt water coldness through to your hands like steel does. Also plastic wont grab a magnet like a steel pan if you are using a magnet to draw off black sands. But you cant use an old plastic pan as a dolly pot for crushing quartz like you can an old steel one.

creamer  
Posted : Monday, 19 March 2012 10:34:45 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Like this one. My new pan is not so new anymore. Somewhere there is GOLD dust in amongst this bit of rust. Been sitting for a while, guess i should clean it up.

UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 19 March 2012 8:14:46 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Looks like a cat got to it Shane, nothing rusts metal like cat juice.
I remember reading that if you oil your pan you should blue it in a fire before using it as the oil will help fine gold float out, I can't confirm as how much difference it really makes.
I have a standard and a small size plastic pan and a classifier that fits over the top of the standard pan. I'll admit i'm a complete novice but to me it seems the small pan is only useful for eating your weetbix out of. I also have a metal pan and I have to say there is a certain nostalgia gained from using it but they aren't the most stealthy as they put out a decent 'gong' sound if not secured well.

Edited by user Monday, 19 March 2012 8:21:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

razor  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 May 2012 3:28:00 PM(UTC)
razor

what about a squirty bottle with diesil and give it a spray when ya finished and dry
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 2:43:38 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
I was thinking CRC.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 8:32:03 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Interesting reading and so I decided to put in my say - I like steel pans but then again I am a traditionalist...and they dont break when you accidently fall on them or drop a rock on them!

My pans seem to get rusty very quickly but that does not mean to say that I dont look after them. I do not believe in fire bluing though it might work IF the item is immediately dropped into a big container of oil when it is 'fire blue hot' - This is a practice I do when I am fire bluing gun screws and have had quite some experience in fire bluing objects and if I dont drop them in oil then they can tend to rust.

My old gold mining partner who would be well over 1000 years of age now had a perfectly shiny pan - no rust, not a bit. He was typical of the old time miners - his father was manager of the Sandhills Gold Dredge at Skippers and his grandfather owned a huge sluicing claim at Skippers - and the secret for having a pan that did not have one speck of rust on it as long as I knew him - He used it, he dried it after use and he put it awya in a dry place - pretty simple - when you follow these rules who needs to use oil, fire blue or any other means to attempt to keep it shiny.

The two things that kept it shiny was use and keeping it dry - it is moisture that promotes rusting - deprive it of moisture when it is not in use then how can it rust?
My pans have rust because - I leave them outside, I leave them in the back of my truck, I dont keep them dry, I leave wet gravel in them overnight - and thats a no no if you want to keep it shiny. Care and common sense keep them shiny. If you guys are like me and a bit slap happy then like me your pan will get rusty!

Edited by user Saturday, 12 May 2012 8:33:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Streeter  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 June 2012 11:54:26 PM(UTC)
Streeter

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
im trying to rust up two of my steel pans ( quite the opposite ) as its very hard to see the gold with a shiny new one and it catches the gold better in the rust, any hints or tricks in order to help it rust faster?

( sorry to poach your thread )
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 12:22:56 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

There's one in every crowd. :)

No guarantee but try this...

Soak the pans in vinegar overnight. Then sprinkle powdered salt over the areas you want rusted, and spray hydrogen peroxide solution* (from the chemist or cleaning section of supermarket) onto the salt.

That should work :)

Don't get it on your skin (unless you want to blow away your pimples) and keep it away from your eyes.

NB. I am not a chemist nor play one on TV.
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 9:00:06 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi guys, Apparently the old timers used pans made of tin & not steel. There is supposed to be a difference & tin was also supposed to be better than a steel pan. So maybe the pans that Graeme is talking of were tin & not steel. Also in the dry & salt free atmosphere of Central & if a pan was kept dry then it would more than likely keep quite clean. Unlike in the Coromandel where you are never far away from the coast & the salty air.
Streeter: I am sorry....but I cant agree with your comment about a rusty pan showing the gold better. How do you work that out when gold is very close in colour to rust??

Here is a pic of some Coro gold in my little steel finishing pan. You will notice the blue/black colour of the pan from the heating of it. Shows the gold pretty well. If it were rusty then it wouldnt stand out so well.

UserPostedImage

This is the main pan that I use. It is the Garrett Super Sluice pan. The green shows both the gold & the black sands very well. If it were a black pan then the sands wouldnt be so easy to see.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Quite fine gold in a black plastic pan. If this was in a rusty steel pan it would be difficult to make out.

UserPostedImage

I dont have a pic of fine gold in a rusty steel pan for the fact that it is difficult to see & I dont practice it as there are better options with the colour pans that are available. Even blue pans are good. I prefer the blue & green pans to the black ones as they show up the black sands as well as the gold.

Good luck out there

Streeter  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 9:46:21 AM(UTC)
Streeter

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
rust isnt shiny its kinda flat in appearance, it was hard to see the gold in the bottom of a shiny pan, i have a black plastic pan also and I agree its great/my favourite but in order to see the gold in my shiny steel pan I prefer it to be rusty, the colour of the pan doesn't worry me too much its more the sheen of it its either that or if when they heat them up / "blue" them does that takes the shine off them? sliver is closer in colour to gold than a matt/flat brown
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 10:13:22 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I used to use steel pans. i don't any more as they are heavy, cost more to replace, and clank like hell on everything when moving about with it, and they are very cold to hold in winter.

As JW pointed out you can "blue" the steel in a fire.

Even when i would leave my metal pans lying about they would rust, such is the good old salt air of the coast where i used to live. You can't stop the progress of rust. The thing is, a few pans of abrasive gravels (and hopefully some gold) and a lot of the rust is gone.

As far as seeing the gold better or worse i never noticed much difference. i'm always looking at the gold in the pan, not the pan. Fine gold might be harder to spot perhaps but it is still easily visible.

On a black plastic pan the fines stick out like nothing. The black plastic is not really smooth and i have no trouble with fines sticking to the pan. and after some use the plastic will roughen up with a few scratches.

The only trouble i've ever had with plastic pans is the lightness tends to allow them to get caught in big wind gusts. unfortunately it can be a dead calm day and then gust like nothing, out of the blue, in some of the high country riverbeds here. the pans are only 8 bucks at the local museum so they are not expensive. sorry, they are now 10 bucks.

if you have a plastic pan you can also use it when detecting, just like a plastic spade, as it won't set off the detector. great if you want to collect the spoil from a hole you are digging and the ground underneath is full of hot rocks. just throw some dirt in the pan and detect.

Also makes a good temporary sunhat if you loose your hat!
5AMP  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 4:36:45 PM(UTC)
5AMP

Thank you for great photo JW.I like big steel pans because they hold a large amount of gravel and seem to allow more efficient panning as the gravel appears to slide around more easily-maybe I am mistaken. What I do not understand is that when I tried heating the pan to red heat it did turn dark blue but also large patches of rust appeared almost immediately.
2 Pages12>