New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
expat  
Posted : Monday, 30 April 2012 9:19:11 PM(UTC)
expat

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Some excellent forward thinking there Ash. Your suggestion for a name sounds just about spot on to me.
Great to catch up with you too last night, it was after all your presence in a certain Oxford field that inspired these recent club developments !!

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
Ash_T  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 5:02:16 PM(UTC)
Ash_T

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Glad to help kick start the idea ;)

Meet a couple new faces near the Woodend school this afternoon,
sorry forgot ya names already, but, that makes a good 15/20 people in the Canterbury area we know so far :)
I reckon most of those would be interested in some sort of club membership?

Time to organize a club formation night i reckon ^^
I'll even stick my hand up for a committee position :)
Check out my BLOG : Its where i post my finds :D
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 9:49:56 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
looking for to a club membership card (with a metal insert). I'm defenetly a keen club member but not a commitee member if i can help it.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 10:00:45 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nugget-Hunter Go to Quoted Post
looking for to a club membership card (with a metal insert). I'm defenetly a keen club member but not a commitee member if i can help it.

I note the comment about the metal insert - I had a fellow from Belgium out here at Christmas time - he travels the world metal detecting for gold - just to sidetrack myself he told me that with his Minelab 5000 he dug 95 holes in Alaska before one of them actually happened to be a piece of gold - It weighted 28 grammes and was near enough to 1 metre down - now thats devotion for you!

Back to the story - he is a member of a metal detecting club in the good old US of A - he showed me the club membership card and I had to admit that I absolutely loved it - it was a membership card with a nice little flake of gold in it all sort of sealed as though laminated - sort of like a drivers licence with a gold flake embedded in it...great stuff - I found it great for putting down on the ground to practice on, or when you get disillusioned and begin to think the detectors not working it can be used to test the detector, to put on the ground in order to set the controls - marvellous idea - I want one!

I suppose there might even be a market in New Zealand for a set of tester cards each with a small similar sized piece of different metal in it - Gold, silver, aluminium, copper, lead, iron and so on...just a thought.
expat  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 10:04:10 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

This is something we are going to have to address soon, do we go down this road or keep it all formal?
Spoke at length to Phil Salmon, treasurer of Auckland MD club last night for guidance and legal ramifications, sounds like a heap of headaches! Something for us all to chat about in a couple of weeks time.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
expat  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 10:06:19 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

I note the comment about the metal insert - I had a fellow from Belgium out here at Christmas time - he travels the world metal detecting for gold - just to sidetrack myself he told me that with his Minelab 5000 he dug 95 holes in Alaska before one of them actually happened to be a piece of gold - It weighted 28 grammes and was near enough to 1 metre down - now thats devotion for you!

Back to the story - he is a member of a metal detecting club in the good old US of A - he showed me the club membership card and I had to admit that I absolutely loved it - it was a membership card with a nice little flake of gold in it all sort of sealed as though laminated - sort of like a drivers licence with a gold flake embedded in it...great stuff - I found it great for putting down on the ground to practice on, or when you get disillusioned and begin to think the detectors not working it can be used to test the detector, to put on the ground in order to set the controls - marvellous idea - I want one!

I suppose there might even be a market in New Zealand for a set of tester cards each with a small similar sized piece of different metal in it - Gold, silver, aluminium, copper, lead, iron and so on...just a thought.

Sounds like a great idea for our new club lammerlaw, would you be happy to supply the gold?? ;-)

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 10:19:43 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post

Sounds like a great idea for our new club lammerlaw, would you be happy to supply the gold?? ;-)

I am quite sure that it would not require much gold in weight to supply the needs of the club members for ten years hence - me parting with gold - getting gold out of me is sort of like trying to push butter up a porcupines arse with a red hot poker...although saying that the Belgium guy who was out here got washed out at my place and I felt sorry for him so gave him a few grammes to take home with him...and the last two groups who came up to my place ended up getting the gold I found! But before I part with it I have to know a person first!

I think that if a smalll club subscription was charged then it would be highly likely to get enough flat, uniform sized flakes to supply the needs of all for a very modest amount. I note that my Goldbug detects pieces of gold that are very small and the card cost could maybe kept to around ten or fifteen dollars each.

I dont sell gold though as I dont need money - I tell a lie - I do need money - but when gold is forever escalating to greater heights between its lows then only a fool sells.

Besides what I said above - I was truly impressed by the card and have every intention of making a myself as gifts for people with detectors to use. The amount of gold required is not excessive.

Edited by user Sunday, 13 May 2012 11:02:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 10:23:43 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
didn't know there was such a card out there already but that was the general idee. Cheers for that
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 11:12:11 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
i would love one of them cards if you making them graham..and willing to pay for it to...
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 13 May 2012 12:09:47 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
i would love one of them cards if you making them graham..and willing to pay for it to...

To you Chris - if I make them I shall make one for you...there are a couple or three people I have met on this site I will happily make one for and as far as the flake of gold is concerned thats a freebie but if it costs to produce the card then that would be the all up cost...I will make a few inquiries - that offer doesnt go to all the forum members though!...friends are free all others pay double - in that way I dont lose!
madsonicboating  
Posted : Sunday, 13 May 2012 1:49:53 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
still laughing at the "tryng to butter a porcupines arse" bit..

classic!
Ash_T  
Posted : Sunday, 13 May 2012 11:53:04 AM(UTC)
Ash_T

friends are free all others pay double

2 x 0 is still.... 0? I dont get it. ;)

I do like the idea of a card with a gold flake in it tho :)

Edited by user Sunday, 13 May 2012 11:58:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 13 May 2012 12:30:22 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Ash_T Go to Quoted Post
friends are free all others pay double

2 x 0 is still.... 0? I dont get it. ;)

I do like the idea of a card with a gold flake in it tho :)

Put it this way - there has to be a value or hypothetical cost - taking this cost and wavering it for friends means that they get a freebie but taking that cost and doubling it means that all others pay double that cost and this in turn means that at the end of the day I dont lose out on the value of the items parted with.

Now that might seem Irish, Double Dutch or Asiatic to many but...the Irish, the Dutch and the Asian people just happen to be extremely good businessmen and yet generous to friends...in other words they look after their friends while still being winners...it is the same as a friend of mine gave me a gun barrel the other day - an extremely valuable one due to the sheer weight of steel and bronze in it - I said that i was happy to pay its value but he said no as he had already recuperated his cost on others that he had already sold - same principle - I got something for nothing and he didnt lose a bean.

However lets look at my grammar above - my statement; -

'if it costs to produce the card then that would be the all up cost' - this determines that there is a cost and therefore your 2 X 0 is not correct.

'friends are free all others pay double' - this means that friends get it free in relationship to the cost mentioned in the preceeding sentence and the double also refers to the cost in the preceeding sentence!

At least I know what I mean and I am not broke - quite yet!!

Edited by user Sunday, 13 May 2012 1:09:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ash_T  
Posted : Sunday, 13 May 2012 1:51:15 PM(UTC)
Ash_T

Sorry, i guess skim reading got me again!

I made membership cards for the last club i was involved with,
none of them had gold flakes in them tho ;)
2 Pages<12