New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

nzgold  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 3:16:34 AM(UTC)
nzgold

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
All of you members up in Christchurch, make sure you stay safe.
Everyone's thinking of you...
You probably won't have internet yet?
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers.
SusanP  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 1:24:24 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Thanks very much for your support. My part of town got off very lightly but the damage in the middle of town is very sobering. It was a very scarey wake up on Saurday morning, it's not the shaking I remember but the noise, the rumbling, the growling and the bangs and crashes from my house and others. Luckily no one in my street was hurt and I met some of my neighbours for the first time! But please take note of a big lesson we have learned and make sure you all have torches, first aid kits, water, food and emergency supplies ready because you don't get any warnings or a second chances.

On the bright side maybe a huge gold seem has been exposed somewhere near Christchurch....
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 5 September 2010 3:00:07 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Susan.

Real good to see that you have kept up a positive attitude to the shocking event that happened.
You can be sure, that we all feel for all the people it affected.

And your right too, in that we should all be aware that it can occur anywhere at any tick of the clock!

Cheers and regards---Colin.

Edited by user Sunday, 5 September 2010 3:03:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Finally tried the edit button to see what it did---and fixed a spelling mistake---excellent add on.

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 6 September 2010 4:46:28 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Thanks for thinking of us :)

I live in Avonside, which seems to have been one of the worst hit places in town. Still no electriticty to my place hence being a little quiet (popped around a friends to use PC today), and think it'll be weeks before the water is sorted. But luckily the house seems ok, but the area is pretty mangled so think I was very lucky! Just inconvenient, nothing more - friends are offering their showers etc. so I don't smell too bad :P

Unfortunately no black sands were pushed up by the liquifaction, just silt and sand so no new gold panning spots to report either :(

Same as Susan - been a good way to meet some of my close by neighbours for the first time, so that's been a good side to things.

Got porta-loos on the street corners around us, but decided I prefer Colin's bushman's toilet idea... just dug a deep hole in the flower border and am using that instead. Shorter walk at 3am when I decide I need to go! :P How were you coping Susan?! :P

Anyway, will post some photos here when I have power back.

Cheers,
Gavin
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 6 September 2010 10:32:38 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Gav.

Good to hear your all O.K. And got of relativley unscathed too!

Thats good news!

Regards---Colin.

SusanP  
Posted : Monday, 6 September 2010 3:40:04 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Hello Gav, power and water is all sorted over here in Hillmorton, and you know I'm not keen on long drops or anything so forgive me if I don't pop over for a chat anytime soon...
Give me a shout if you need anything or would like to come over for tea, I can't have my fellow adventurer suffering unnecessarily in the darkest depths of Avonside...
Ooo nearly forgot to tell you all, my nephew and I went gold panning on the Ashton beach on Saturday, very well equiped with pan, trowel and a packet of chips. We think we found a tiny flake of gold probably about 1/3 size of a pin head, a very successful day we thought.
We took it home to look at under a microscope but somehow between the beach and home it turned from a bright yellow speck into a dull grey blob, but my nephew now has the fossiking bug:)
Onwards and upwards!

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 6 September 2010 5:37:48 PM(UTC)
gavin

Thanks for the offer Susan - much appreciated :) Good to hear you're getting a little panning practice in too and have already struck it rich with the flake :P

Got power back late afternoon so back online. Very impressed at how the city has been on top of everything so far getting power back to everyone and starting to fix things up!

Attached are a few photos from around my way. Nothing you've probably not seen on the news I'm guessing.
gavin attached the following image(s):
IMG_1753_resized.jpg
IMG_1755_resized.jpg
IMG_1776_resized.jpg
IMG_1787_resized.jpg
IMG_1811_resized.jpg
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 11 September 2010 5:46:38 AM(UTC)
gavin