New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Thursday, 10 May 2012 9:23:25 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have never found a metal detector dealer that gives good service and a fair price. I have never found anyone else who gets into metal detecting happy with the service in NZ. AS a Kiwi ,I would very much like to support local or NZ bussiness. I would like to hear from anyone who has had good service in NZ. But I'am tempted to lay a bet there is not one person in NZ that has had good service and after sale service from a metal detecting dealer in NZ.
Is ther anyone interested in forming a group and approaching a dealer overseas for good service ?
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 10 May 2012 10:22:27 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: East-Auck-Fossicker Go to Quoted Post
I have never found a metal detector dealer that gives good service and a fair price. I have never found anyone else who gets into metal detecting happy with the service in NZ. AS a Kiwi ,I would very much like to support local or NZ bussiness. I would like to hear from anyone who has had good service in NZ. But I'am tempted to lay a bet there is not one person in NZ that has had good service and after sale service from a metal detecting dealer in NZ.
Is ther anyone interested in forming a group and approaching a dealer overseas for good service ?

Im gonna tell Robert on you! (Sick sense of Humour)

Edited by user Thursday, 10 May 2012 10:22:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Thursday, 10 May 2012 10:42:21 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

Who is Robert ?
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Thursday, 10 May 2012 11:07:12 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Who is Robert ?

Rob is NZ Fisher dealer from CHCH - http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/

Dave is Minelab dealer from CHCH (Blaxall & Steven Distributors Limited)

I had good Experience from both Folks

Nothing personal, its a common scenario that someone who doesnt know market or community well- jumping on subjects they are not competent in :-)

In regards Fair Price- NZ dealers do give a fair Price

Remember, when buying from overseas such item as MD- you will need to clear through customs:
80$ customs fee + 15% GST on top of purchase + Shipping

Also overseas dealers got a new policy that they do not send certain items outside USA for example.

*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 10 May 2012 11:33:12 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Robert is rgmcbrid here on the forum and yes he is the fisher dealer for NZ..he is very fair and if you have a problem with a machine you buy off him he will do everything in his power to sort it out for you.
he is also my best friend here in NZ and a great guy to go detecting with....also he is into the rocks and minerals ...

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 11 May 2012 12:45:18 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I bought both of my detectors from Detector Solutions in Auckland, not sure if they are still going but I had great service for years, free battery holders, got a replacement coll cover when my one cracked. I think they now do only industrial detectors but Steve was bloooody good and was always keen to show new gear at the detector club meetings in Auckland
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 11 May 2012 10:52:03 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Hi East Auck,

I am the Robert that the people above said nice things about. I understand what you are saying; I have found that many things in NZ are much more expensive than they are overseas. That is actually how I got into selling metal detectors; a friend asked me if I could have a relative in the states to mail over a Gold Bug 2 as a gift in order to dodge customs fees. He had recently paid over $1700 (counting customs, GST, etc.) for a Gold Bug 2 from Kellyco and thought if he could get one cheaper he could sell it and make a few dollars. I did some number crunching and told him he should contact Fisher and see if he could be a dealer. That way he could buy wholesale and also save on freight. He thought it was a good idea but didn’t want to do it, so I did.

I bought 10 Gold Bugs and thought if I could sell them in a year I would be doing pretty well. My plan was to do it all as inexpensively as possible and sell detectors at a much lower price than anyone else. It worked out much better than I had expected and I had to keep reordering and expanding my inventory. By placing bigger orders I saved on freight, and because the exchange rate went up a bit I actually ended up lowering prices. I have made some money at it, but haven’t given up my ‘day job.’ Mostly it has been a lot of fun and I have met a lot of great people.

So in summary, I am not sure what my point is, but I can give you a good deal on a new Fisher!

-Robert
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 11 May 2012 4:28:16 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Choice thread. Bet you werent expecting that responce Eastauckfossicker.
In hearing what you say, there are a couple of dealers that come to mind but ive found Roberts the best . So your off with a good start and great advice. Again, choice thread and i hope its helping with your venture.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
KGBee  
Posted : Friday, 11 May 2012 4:54:58 PM(UTC)
KGBee

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I bought a Garrett Ace Gold from Tactical Solutions.
It's a wee honey, and came with some promotional freebies.
One item (holster for the Garrett 'pick-axe' thingy) was dodgy (bad rivet job holding it together).
No problems.
Garrett USA sent a replacement, plus a Garrett cap.
Very happy with the service.
Ryan at Tactical Solutions was very helpful throughout.
Plus, I got a great deal.
Ryan's definitely worth talking to.

East-Auck-Fossicker  
Posted : Friday, 11 May 2012 9:30:51 PM(UTC)
East-Auck-Fossicker

About 3 years ago I brought my Garrett 1250 ( which has been a really good machine) for $1400. I'll try and be P.C. as I can to keep the arguments down to a minimum. I popped into this metal detecting company a few times and tried to talk to the sales person, but he was always busy. The receptionist knew nothing about detectors and just kept handing me bits of paper, which I read and I looked up what I could on the net. I brought the Garrett 1250. Layed down my hard earned cash and was handed a box and told the instructions are in side. I unpacked it at home and found the shaft was missing. I went back and was told that this was totally impossible and that all detectors are checked at the factory. I was told that another shaft could be ordered, but it would take about six months. So I got a bit of P.V.C. tubing from work. About six months later I decided that I'd really like a large and smaller coil. So I shopped around and was told that the machine was too old and no one had coils for this machine. Well hang on a minate , I only brought it six months ago ! I ended up buying a larger coil from the people I brought the machine off and couldn't get the 4.5" coil. And I found the larger coil works best in the mud flats not high water mark. Again the sales person was not available. I've got some prospecting gear from both Australia and America. Didn't pay G.S.T. ,but man did I get wacked for shipping ! Looking to up grade to a Garrett AT pro international. Has anyone got one or played with one ?
tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 10:13:21 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Hi, I would say that Robert from this forum would be the best one to buy from for Fishers. I got my brother to buy a gold bug from him, a couple of weeks ago, and once paid for, Gerard told me it was at his house in Dunedin the next day! He said to me he didn't know how that was possible, as the money must have cleared in Robert's a/c the same day it was arriving in Dunedin! On Robert's website there are NZ Fishers reps from different areas, so I don't want to stand on anyone's toes here. You might want to use the rep from your area. Last year I emailed a NZ minelab rep asking for parts like teardrop washers, coil plates etc and didn't hear back (ever), I'm guessing they couldn't be bothered with parts, just wanted to sell detectors. I will never use the NZ minelab rep again. So I emailed a AU minelab rep and ordered my parts from him. Immediate response. He quoted freight then discounted it when he got the exact freight charges sorted. I like the idea of dealing with someone who actually uses detectors rather than from retailers, that's why I like Robert. I've met him and he comes across as super intelligent, (he is a soil scientist) (brainy people always impress me!), reliable, and a loyal friend. He is a great friend to our dear wee nzpoohbear! Having said that I bought my last detector from Kellyco in the states, last week, (A teknetics T2 special edition, prob almost identical to the Fishers F75, and made in the same factory) only because I wanted to pay on my credit card, as otherwise I would never be able to save the $$. I crunched the numbers and Robert's prices were internationally competitive, so I would have bought a F75 from him if I could. (I know I should always save the money first, bad boy!!) The import worked well. Arrived three days after it was sent. GST on the border included no extra customs fee as I thought it would, just the GST. Freight was reasonable. Unbelievably well packed, everything double boxed and boxed within the double box, (does that mean tripple boxed, I guess so) Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Maybe today!

Edited by user Saturday, 12 May 2012 10:16:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 12 May 2012 8:40:59 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I agree with tonznz re Robert - My son and I paid for our detectors and thought we would get them within a couple of days luck permitting - we had them first thing the very next day. You could not do better - he is great to deal with and a good bloke into the bargain...now dont let this go to your head Robert!

treasureseeker  
Posted : Monday, 14 May 2012 11:25:27 AM(UTC)
treasureseeker

Man
New Zealand

About 3 years ago I brought my Garrett 1250 ( which has been a really good machine) for $1400. I'll try and be P.C. as I can to keep the arguments down to a minimum. I popped into this metal detecting company a few times and tried to talk to the sales person, but he was always busy. The receptionist knew nothing about detectors and just kept handing me bits of paper, which I read and I looked up what I could on the net. I brought the Garrett 1250. Layed down my hard earned cash and was handed a box and told the instructions are in side. I unpacked it at home and found the shaft was missing. I went back and was told that this was totally impossible and that all detectors are checked at the factory. I was told that another shaft could be ordered, but it would take about six months. So I got a bit of P.V.C. tubing from work. About six months later I decided that I'd really like a large and smaller coil. So I shopped around and was told that the machine was too old and no one had coils for this machine. Well hang on a minate , I only brought it six months ago ! I ended up buying a larger coil from the people I brought the machine off and couldn't get the 4.5" coil. And I found the larger coil works best in the mud flats not high water mark. Again the sales person was not available. I've got some prospecting gear from both Australia and America. Didn't pay G.S.T. ,but man did I get wacked for shipping ! Looking to up grade to a Garrett AT pro international. Has anyone got one or played with one ?

I've been using an At Pro for a while now...no complaints...good detector for the price

http://treasureseekingnz.blogspot.co.nz/
Minelab Excalibur
Garrett AT Pro
exkiwi123  
Posted : Monday, 18 June 2012 9:36:03 PM(UTC)
exkiwi123

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
HI guys if you are buying a Minelab in aussie you will get either half or full day training as part of the package Uwill pay a bit more for this item being a minelad detector but also get some training on local gold fields or close to where the shop is that are selling it ///This also applies to second hand detectors bought from the shop Maybe it may be worth asking the detector shop that you bought it from do they do the same thing Remeber you are the one that is buying with your hard $$$$$$$$$WHY NOT ex kiwi123
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 20 August 2012 8:58:12 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
Who is Robert ?

Nothing personal, its a common scenario that someone who doesnt know market or community well- jumping on subjects they are not competent in :-)

In regards Fair Price- NZ dealers do give a fair Price

Remember, when buying from overseas such item as MD- you will need to clear through customs:
80$ customs fee + 15% GST on top of purchase + Shipping

Also overseas dealers got a new policy that they do not send certain items outside USA for example.

Hows the etrac?

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 20 August 2012 9:01:37 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Hi East Auck,

I am the Robert that the people above said nice things about. I understand what you are saying; I have found that many things in NZ are much more expensive than they are overseas. That is actually how I got into selling metal detectors; a friend asked me if I could have a relative in the states to mail over a Gold Bug 2 as a gift in order to dodge customs fees. He had recently paid over $1700 (counting customs, GST, etc.) for a Gold Bug 2 from Kellyco and thought if he could get one cheaper he could sell it and make a few dollars. I did some number crunching and told him he should contact Fisher and see if he could be a dealer. That way he could buy wholesale and also save on freight. He thought it was a good idea but didn’t want to do it, so I did.

I bought 10 Gold Bugs and thought if I could sell them in a year I would be doing pretty well. My plan was to do it all as inexpensively as possible and sell detectors at a much lower price than anyone else. It worked out much better than I had expected and I had to keep reordering and expanding my inventory. By placing bigger orders I saved on freight, and because the exchange rate went up a bit I actually ended up lowering prices. I have made some money at it, but haven’t given up my ‘day job.’ Mostly it has been a lot of fun and I have met a lot of great people.

So in summary, I am not sure what my point is, but I can give you a good deal on a new Fisher!

-Robert

Awesome stuff Robert - Look forward in purchasing off you in the near future

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder