New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
kiwipete  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 1:59:32 AM(UTC)
kiwipete

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Guys, I had pretty much decided to buy a Gold Bug 2 since gold is my main interest, but having looked into the Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack specs it seems it may offer the best of both worlds with the 2 coils. Bearing in mind I'm a newbie know-nothing I would appreciate any advice/thoughts.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 11:17:35 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i don't know the x-terra but all i see is gb2's and minelab 4500 / 5000 s when it comes to the serious guys.

the question is these guys are running around with these great detectors so what are you going to use to be able to still find gold?

if everyone is going to the same spots it will be hard to find much if you are up against a good detector and an experienced operator.

i know people have found stuff with the shittiest of detectors but this is often pure luck. the thing is how much are these cheap detectors missing. time is money so there is little point in wasting your time.

i find my gb2 is easy enough to use. it is prob the best at finding the real small stuff. which is what is out there. i know everyone dreams of the big one but they are few and far between.

the good thing with the gb2 also is there are a lot of users around who can show you the ropes.

the gb2 is nice and light too, esp compared to the minelabs.

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 12:21:21 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I have a MInelab Xtreme and have never yet found gold with it - in my country it is heavy to carry and tiring to use - my son however has done well with it and has found up to 3/4 ounce in a day and never fails to get something - in fact he seems to get depressed if he gets less than about five grammes and considers the day a total failure...thats the younger generation!

After talking to Robert the Goldbug man about the various attributes of the Goldbug and Goldbug2 my son and I each purchased a Goldbug - NO regrets, very pleased, thrilled to bits and both machines paid off several times over I would think...need I say more?

To me the Goldbug, and this coming from a guy who has been detecting for over thirty years with Garrett Deepseker and Whites 6000 and with Minelab - the wee Goldbug is the best thing since Pavalova and whipped cream, beer and lemonade on a hot day and Good keen Women.
kiwipete  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 12:35:15 PM(UTC)
kiwipete

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
i don't know the x-terra but all i see is gb2's and minelab 4500 / 5000 s when it comes to the serious guys.

the question is these guys are running around with these great detectors so what are you going to use to be able to still find gold?

if everyone is going to the same spots it will be hard to find much if you are up against a good detector and an experienced operator.

i know people have found stuff with the shittiest of detectors but this is often pure luck. the thing is how much are these cheap detectors missing. time is money so there is little point in wasting your time.

i find my gb2 is easy enough to use. it is prob the best at finding the real small stuff. which is what is out there. i know everyone dreams of the big one but they are few and far between.

the good thing with the gb2 also is there are a lot of users around who can show you the ropes.

the gb2 is nice and light too, esp compared to the minelabs.

Thanks Simon, I appreciate the advice and value your comments. A good point about the ease of use, particularly for a beginner. The weight and price of both models are about the same, the Minelab seemed to have an added dimension with the coin/relic coil if the gold coil didn't pan out. (forgive the pun)
kiwipete  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 12:45:26 PM(UTC)
kiwipete

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
I have a MInelab Xtreme and have never yet found gold with it - in my country it is heavy to carry and tiring to use - my son however has done well with it and has found up to 3/4 ounce in a day and never fails to get something - in fact he seems to get depressed if he gets less than about five grammes and considers the day a total failure...thats the younger generation!

After talking to Robert the Goldbug man about the various attributes of the Goldbug and Goldbug2 my son and I each purchased a Goldbug - NO regrets, very pleased, thrilled to bits and both machines paid off several times over I would think...need I say more?

To me the Goldbug, and this coming from a guy who has been detecting for over thirty years with Garrett Deepseker and Whites 6000 and with Minelab - the wee Goldbug is the best thing since Pavalova and whipped cream, beer and lemonade on a hot day and Good keen Women.

Thanks Lammerlaw, a ringing endorsement indeed! There's no substitute for personal and lengthy experience, hence the value of these forums and your input. If the GB is up there with the other kiwi icons you mention then it's certainly good enough for me! To clarify, did you purchase the GB or GB2? Cheers.
asterix  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 12:50:40 PM(UTC)
asterix

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've been using an Xterra for the last four years,not tried it on gold but it certainly has the advantage of being versatile.Coin/relic,prospecting and beach modes makes it a very good all rounder.The 12.75 KHZ DD coil will pretty much do all you want,altho you do lose some depth if you're looking to detect on parks,fields etc.I use 7.5 KHZ coils and they will get anything down to around 2-3mm so the 12.75 should be pretty good for small nuggets.
You can invest in a lower freq coil later on if you end up spending more time chasing coins and relics.
asterix  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 1:01:54 PM(UTC)
asterix

Just to add,you may have trouble getting your hands on a 705 from a dealer,they've been pretty much cleaned out due to a gold rush somewhere over in Africa.I know a couple of guys that have been on a waiting list for over 3 months trying to get one.As i stated,never tried using it for prospecting but it speaks volumes to me that they are all sold out.
Not sure if its the same situation in NZ/Aus.
kiwipete  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 1:08:49 PM(UTC)
kiwipete

Originally Posted by: asterix Go to Quoted Post
I've been using an Xterra for the last four years,not tried it on gold but it certainly has the advantage of being versatile.Coin/relic,prospecting and beach modes makes it a very good all rounder.The 12.75 KHZ DD coil will pretty much do all you want,altho you do lose some depth if you're looking to detect on parks,fields etc.I use 7.5 KHZ coils and they will get anything down to around 2-3mm so the 12.75 should be pretty good for small nuggets.
You can invest in a lower freq coil later on if you end up spending more time chasing coins and relics.

Hey thanks Asterix. The '705 Gold Pack' comes with an 18.75 DD coil for gold apparently. Not an electronics wizz but the GB2 operating frequency of 71 kHz sounds superior for that purpose.......maybe.
asterix  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 1:14:03 PM(UTC)
asterix

Originally Posted by: kiwipete Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: asterix Go to Quoted Post

Hey thanks Asterix. The '705 Gold Pack' comes with an 18.75 DD coil for gold apparently. Not an electronics wizz but the GB2 operating frequency of 71 kHz sounds superior for that purpose.......maybe.

As its a more specialized machine i'd imagine it would be better on the gold.It really comes down to what you want from your machine.If you are just going to be prospecting i'd imagine the GB would be the one to go for,altho i have no experience of it.
Whatever you decide to go for,good luck with it. : )
x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 2:17:13 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Both are good machines but i would go for the X-Terra using the round 6inch 18.75 khz DD coil,will fine the smallest crumbs,the eliptical coil is a but of brick for my liking and is a tad less sensitive than the 6inch,

cheers Steve
kiwipete  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 2:24:12 PM(UTC)
kiwipete

Originally Posted by: x-terra steve Go to Quoted Post
Both are good machines but i would go for the X-Terra using the round 6inch 18.75 khz DD coil,will fine the smallest crumbs,the eliptical coil is a but of brick for my liking and is a tad less sensitive than the 6inch,

cheers Steve

Hey thanks Steve, it's all good info in making the decision.
overdog  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 4:28:40 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
General purpose the x-terra.Gold only the gold bug.

My 10 cents worth!
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 9:25:55 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there KiwiPete, Xterra Steve has done very well on gold with his X-Terra 70. So it obviously works & well. I run an older model minelab GP 3000. The next model after the Extreme. I love it & wouldnt swap, sell or trade it for anything else. It gobsmacks me how I can go over ground that has seen every make & model even the minelab 4500, not sure about the 5000, & still pull gold with it.

ANZAC day gold from these old workings

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I know a lot of guys are very happy with their Gold Bugs. The real secret to succesfull detecting is to get to know your detector inside out. Get to know its full capabilities & limitations.

Good lock out there

JW :)
kiwipete  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 10:11:41 PM(UTC)
kiwipete

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
Hi there KiwiPete, Xterra Steve has done very well on gold with his X-Terra 70. So it obviously works & well. I run an older model minelab GP 3000. The next model after the Extreme. I love it & wouldnt swap, sell or trade it for anything else. It gobsmacks me how I can go over ground that has seen every make & model even the minelab 4500, not sure about the 5000, & still pull gold with it.

ANZAC day gold from these old workings

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I know a lot of guys are very happy with their Gold Bugs. The real secret to succesfull detecting is to get to know your detector inside out. Get to know its full capabilities & limitations.

Good lock out there

Hi JW, very nice gold & great photos! That's good advice and I appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers, Pete
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 24 May 2012 11:50:00 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Hi kiwipete...you talk about the x terra as haveing the added dimension with the coin/relic coil if the gold coil didn't pan out....maybe you dont realize you can also get the COIN/RELIC coil for the gold bug if the gold doesnt pan out....i have all 3 coils for the goldbug...i havnt done any gold hunting with it yet but i know a small nugget was found with the small 5" coil down in southland....as i live in CHCH i use it mainly for coin relic hunting and have plenty of rings to prove it...lmao...but most are silver...like others have said the goldbug is lightweight from from all i have heard it has no probs finding gold...if you want a great all round machine then i would also say the GB and not the GB2 as the GB2 is specifically for gold and doesnt disscriminate real well and also doesnt have the digital readout...where as the goldbug does.

havnt used the mindlab so cant say how it compairs.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 25 May 2012 10:41:40 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
poohbear- just one small nugget? Ive found hundrets with the 5inch! If I had the money I'd own a Mnelab tho just because the extra depth they offer. I recon the X-terra would be virtually the same on gold as the goldbug but its a bit heavier.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
kiwipete  
Posted : Friday, 25 May 2012 12:14:25 PM(UTC)
kiwipete

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi kiwipete...you talk about the x terra as haveing the added dimension with the coin/relic coil if the gold coil didn't pan out....maybe you dont realize you can also get the COIN/RELIC coil for the gold bug if the gold doesnt pan out....i have all 3 coils for the goldbug...i havnt done any gold hunting with it yet but i know a small nugget was found with the small 5" coil down in southland....as i live in CHCH i use it mainly for coin relic hunting and have plenty of rings to prove it...lmao...but most are silver...like others have said the goldbug is lightweight from from all i have heard it has no probs finding gold...if you want a great all round machine then i would also say the GB and not the GB2 as the GB2 is specifically for gold and doesnt disscriminate real well and also doesnt have the digital readout...where as the goldbug does.

havnt used the mindlab so cant say how it compairs.

Hi Poohbear, you're right I was focusing on the GB2 being limited to gold detecting and hadn't considered the other GP models (base, pro & DP) I'd figured because they were cheaper they probably weren't as good. I can see how the digital display would be a benefit. I'd also assumed that when other members were talking about finding gold with GB, they were referring to GB2.
You make some good points, thanks.
kiwipete  
Posted : Friday, 25 May 2012 12:19:15 PM(UTC)
kiwipete

Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
poohbear- just one small nugget? Ive found hundrets with the 5inch! If I had the money I'd own a Mnelab tho just because the extra depth they offer. I recon the X-terra would be virtually the same on gold as the goldbug but its a bit heavier.

Hi Hatter, hundreds! very nice!! you can probably afford whatever machine you want :-)
The GB & X-Terra appear very similar in weight at 2.5lb & 2.9lb respectively, or are you saying you would want one of the other Minelabs 4500 etc given the choice/money ?
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 25 May 2012 6:31:24 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Pretty sure I have posted this link before but here we go again. I know it is based on detectors for use in Alaska but all good sound advice from a bloke who knows what he is talking about. This will be the best comparisons & opinions on the different makes & models you will ever come across.. ENJOY.
http://www.akmining.com/...commendations-for-Alaska

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 25 May 2012 11:46:01 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
yup hatter just the one small nugget..lol..i havnt been where you have been YET,,lmao..
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
2 Pages12>