New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 11:58:13 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Looking at some of the threads on this forum it's clear a number of you have created your own space, which is excellent :)

To me this sort of thing is better served by using blogs (which still allows people to comment on the posts os there's still interaction with other members). Though I have no issue with people using the forums to achieve this!

I'm looking to give the whole Paydirt site an overhaul over winter if time allows. As part of the revamp I'm quite happy to add a dedicated blog section where people can have their own private blogs. The question is - would anyone be interested in this? If at least one or two people would like this then I'll make sure something is added.

Some of the obvious blog candidate users at a quick glance:
kiwikeith
Lammerlaw
nzpoohbear40
Foiled again
DrunkBrother

Cheers,
Gavin
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 12:32:22 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Looking at some of the threads on this forum it's clear a number of you have created your own space, which is excellent :)

To me this sort of thing is better served by using blogs (which still allows people to comment on the posts os there's still interaction with other members). Though I have no issue with people using the forums to achieve this!

I'm looking to give the whole Paydirt site an overhaul over winter if time allows. As part of the revamp I'm quite happy to add a dedicated blog section where people can have their own private blogs. The question is - would anyone be interested in this? If at least one or two people would like this then I'll make sure something is added.

Some of the obvious blog candidate users at a quick glance:
kiwikeith
Lammerlaw
nzpoohbear40
Foiled again
DrunkBrother

Cheers,
Gavin

Many of us have our own blogs Gavin as you have noticed. They do take time to maintain and I don't think I would bother running another as it would just be duplication. However some sort of blog directory of Paydirt members could be a good idea.
Chris.
Ash_T  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 12:32:23 PM(UTC)
Ash_T

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Blogging is fun ;)

I'm currently using Blogspot, as are a few other members here too.

Having a stand alone blog that you can share with who ever ya want to,
on any number of forums, or just random people you meet out fossicking/detecting,
i think is the best idea, and currently this is possible with the little BLOG button below our posts :)

Setting up a blogspot blog, posting on it, and linking your blog to the button below takes all of 5 minutes.
Consequent posts only take a few minutes, and are very easily kept track of by your followers,
thru the admin/design tab on your own blog. If anyone wanted help setting one up,
im sure those with them already here could be of help.

Maybe having a page on the overhauled site with paydirts active bloggers pages featured could be an idea?

I like the idea of a Paydirt blog tho, and for those like Lammerlaw, who have amazing gold related storys to be told,
a blog built on a gold site would suit 100% more than a stand alone blog site ;)

Check out my BLOG : Its where i post my finds :D
Ash_T  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 12:33:24 PM(UTC)
Ash_T

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Beat me by seconds MK ^^ lol ;)
Check out my BLOG : Its where i post my finds :D
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 5:17:52 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi guys,

Cheers for the input - much appreciated. On the new site I could have a blog section on the links page or some dedicated page as suggested - easy as.

Isn't a lot of effort involved in adding blogging to Paydirt as I was just going to drop the BlogEngine.NET application alongside the forums (for any fellow web developers out there).

If anyone's keen on a Paydirt blog please still let me know as I'll probably have my own gold related one and it's easy to add more if anyone wants them.

Cheers,
Gavin
Foiled again  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 1:13:44 PM(UTC)
Foiled again

Man

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Hi Gavin
Im not too much techie and have never been great at maintaining FB or a blog I started years ago but I love this forum and posting pictures of the adventures we get up to so if it works out easier all round I'll happily have a blog based through here.
Well done on your efforts too, looks like you're on a winner with your latest ideas!

Many thanks
Jason
There's another to find and I'm gunna find it!
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 1:22:45 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
gavin: i think the blog idea sounds great.

i would love to do a blog but unfortunately i think it would provide a bit too much info down these parts for 'followers'. perhaps later in life when i can't get out so much...

i don't mind passing on a bit more specific info once i have met people face to face, as this is usually beneficial to both parties.

i also have one small idea to add. is there a way to make the newer posts show before the older ones? now the forum has been going for awhile it gets a bit tedious to have to click thru to the last page. yeah, lazy i know. is there some way we can personalise this ourselves, as i'm sure their will be people that don't want it changed as well. each to their own. i just think it would make the site function a bit more. at least for me anyway.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 4:28:59 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi gavin

what is a BLOG?
i dont go on face book or any other things im sorry im not up with all this tech stuff

i just enjoy sharing things ive heard or found in my wanderings in the hills one gets to hear things as we talk to people some times its gold related so i put it on the forum

cheers keith
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 4:48:38 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
hi gavin

what is a BLOG?
i dont go on face book or any other things im sorry im not up with all this tech stuff

i just enjoy sharing things ive heard or found in my wanderings in the hills one gets to hear things as we talk to people some times its gold related so i put it on the forum

cheers keith

Hi Keith,

Have a look at my blog - click here www.metaldetectornz.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Chris.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 5:54:53 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi metal kiwi

very good, interesting, and great finds

im abit long in the tooth so perhaps i should stay away from all this
i all seems like a facebook page or someting my mates all want me to post my adventures on a facebook page but i like to remain alittle under the radar mind you just had a great walk up the heaphy today

cheers keith
will keep an eye on your blog
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 6:27:41 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post

i also have one small idea to add. is there a way to make the newer posts show before the older ones? now the forum has been going for awhile it gets a bit tedious to have to click thru to the last page. yeah, lazy i know. is there some way we can personalise this ourselves, as i'm sure their will be people that don't want it changed as well. each to their own. i just think it would make the site function a bit more. at least for me anyway.

Simon, we can do this already. If you look on the far right hand side of the main forum screen (column called "Latest Posts), you will see some little bright orange folders near each post. Click onto these folders and they take you to the last post of the thread. Same for the bottom of the forum page where it says "Active Posts", just click on to these folders as well. Hope this helps.

gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 6:45:18 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
gavin: i think the blog idea sounds great.

i would love to do a blog but unfortunately i think it would provide a bit too much info down these parts for 'followers'. perhaps later in life when i can't get out so much...

i don't mind passing on a bit more specific info once i have met people face to face, as this is usually beneficial to both parties.

I'm getting quite intrigued by these "followers" that are looking for your "gold mine" - sounds like an interesting story!

Regarding getting straight to the new posts... there's a couple of little(!) icons next to posts that will do this for you:
Go to last Post = Go to last Post
Go to last unread = Go to last unread

I'm just using a forum package someone else has developed as-is so don't want to do too many custom tweaks as it hampers upgrading the site when new functionality is released by the project owners.

Blogs, fair enough - I'm more than happy for people to keep posting at the forums - just putting it out there ;) If anyone feels like they'd like one in the future just shout out.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 6:45:57 PM(UTC)
gavin

Ah, Shilo just beat me to it! :P
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 9:26:16 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
would love a blog gavin...not quite sure how to use one but i am sure i can get together with ash or andrew to show me how it works once you set it up..lol.

love the idea.
cheers
Poohbear
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 10:33:27 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
thanks both shill and gavin. i now have it sorted with the order of posts and how to change the settings for this.

gavin, i wish i had a gold mine. all i am saying is loose lips sink ships. this forum has gained a decent following for such a tiny country. don't get me wrong. i don't mind swapping stories with fellow miners. that's how we all learn. new zealand is a small place. since i have been mining each summer i have noticed a huge increase in interest in gold. and this year is the 150th anniversary of the rush here!

it takes a lot of time to find a good spot. and getting harder to find these days.

a lot of the time i head out i don't travel too far. cos i'm going to the same spot all the time people think i'm onto something big. it can turn into a hell of a mess with a few people all digging the same spots. when underwater i find it so much easier when you know what you have worked and have a system. once the ground is disturbed you can't tell what is what except from memory.

my advice to newer forum readers keen for some gold is to look where others aren't. do your research. and don't be afraid to do some exploring. there are many forgotten workings and settlements out there. i know for a fact several people have found some excellent finds in recent times. these are not always so far away. what the finders all have in common is they never give up and learn where to look. but at the end of the day it is persistence that prevails. all the guys i know that have been at it long enough have had good finds. and for newbies, you can always get lucky. there are also many cases of people stumbling upon gold in some way. such finds probably won't make you rich but are sure to excite.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 June 2012 10:51:53 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Hi Gavin

Being a relic from the days when wooden cased, hand wind telephones that went through an exchange where the nice lady passed the time of day exchanging idle gossip before she finally put you onto the number you wanted I am totally confused by anything more modern...in fact I thought that a blog was somewhere you went for a number 2 and a blogspot was the public convenience aka Der Krappenhauser!!

In short I am totally confused about what they are, how to go about it and all that it entails though I have looked at stuff kiwijw and Keith and others have put on and often thought that it would be good if they were sort of stand alone so that they didnt get lost in the passage of time.

Your the boss though Gavin and anything you suggest I would vote on and support you with.

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 June 2012 10:52:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 14 June 2012 6:01:17 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
...the best blog to have is the NZGFF.

G is Good.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 14 June 2012 9:12:21 PM(UTC)
gavin

@simon - No worries, didn't think you had a "gold mine" just found the idea of those that thought you did quite entertaining ;)

@nzpoohbear40 + @Lammerlaw - Wow, how technology has advanced eh! :P Blogs - basically almost identical to how you post to the forum, but a bit of space to call your own. But don't worry about it - the blog offer is there for anyone that wants it, but not something I'm going to push. Was just getting a feel if there was much demand. Maybe I'll do my own if I think I've got enough to say on it, then if anyone else wants one...

@creamer - NZGFF = cheers :P I'm happy for it to be used that way too :)
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 15 June 2012 12:26:09 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
hahaha i know what blogs are and would love to have one...just havnt used one so a bit new to me...but i have looked at ashes and drunks and love the looks of them..

so when you get them up and running yes please ill have one...
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 15 June 2012 9:46:29 AM(UTC)
gavin

Sweet as - you've got one then when I get it all rigged up :)
2 Pages12>