New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 5:10:11 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
A bit boring, but of interest to some of us.

The object list in the numismatic category is fairly short, which is nice. The question is, would some coins we find be covered by a different category?

http://www.legislation.g...est/whole.html#DLM432617

Quote:

7. Numismatic and philatelic objects

(1)The philatelic category consists of any items of the New Zealand Post Museum Collection.

(2)The numismatics category consists of the following objects:

(a)examples of the Resolution and Adventure Medal, 1772:

(b)the Pattern Waitangi Crown:

(c)issued £50 and £100 New Zealand banknotes produced before 1933:

(d)examples of the New Zealand Cross, Victoria Cross, and George Cross, and their associated groups, awarded to a New Zealander or related to New Zealand:

(e)any related original art work and design of New Zealand coins and banknotes.

(3)The numismatic and philatelic categories include (but are not limited to) dies and printing plates associated with the manufacture of New Zealand coins, banknotes, postage, and revenue stamps.
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 6:29:34 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
I recently wrote an article about coins and realised halfway thru that you cant use any pics of coins as its some sort of reproduction offence... (start article again for 3rd time).
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 8 June 2012 11:19:15 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
dam not the waitangi crown...lol....does that mean if i find one i am supose to turn it in and not sell it?..
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 9 June 2012 12:40:27 AM(UTC)
oroplata

That's what I thought at first, but when they say "pattern waitangi crown" it's a different one they made first which isn't the same as the one that went into production.

So don't worry, you can keep that one you've been hiding. :)

keywikiwi  
Posted : Friday, 15 June 2012 7:49:06 PM(UTC)
keywikiwi

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hey oroplata,Thanks for posting this list as this is now the best post by far since i joined this forum just for the fact that you have revealed two valuable treasures to research and hope to find.Im also interested in lammerlaws story of the unaccounted for 10000 or so gold sovereign coins that could possibly be hidden somewhere.Doing searchs on google have proved fruitless when trying to look for lost or valuable treasures in NZ,as it always comes up with "hidden tresures' as places of interest, which is to be expected. Forums like this one is where you hear of these things which has been great.
crisyboy  
Posted : Thursday, 21 June 2012 2:13:41 AM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
yeah good post,
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 21 June 2012 10:47:12 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keywikiwi Go to Quoted Post
Hey oroplata,Thanks for posting this list as this is now the best post by far since i joined this forum just for the fact that you have revealed two valuable treasures to research and hope to find.Im also interested in lammerlaws story of the unaccounted for 10000 or so gold sovereign coins that could possibly be hidden somewhere.Doing searchs on google have proved fruitless when trying to look for lost or valuable treasures in NZ,as it always comes up with "hidden tresures' as places of interest, which is to be expected. Forums like this one is where you hear of these things which has been great.

I think I told that story else where here but it is as follows. My grandmother was told by her mother that her grandfather never banked because there simply were no banks but he was very astute and sly with his dealings. He kept records of his money and when he died the records were found but never the money. He had a liking for gold coins and the records indicated ten thousand pounds - in gold coins.

Generally you would curl up your toes about fifty years after your grand[parents given 25 years per generation but my grandmother died about 1994 and her grandfather died in 1862 indicating a 132 year gap between the two generations so the coins are 1862 or earlier.

I have absolutely no doubt as to the validity of this story and do know the approximate locality of them but a square mile or kilometer or two is one heck of a lot of country to cover so all is not as easy as it may seem.

Edited by user Thursday, 21 June 2012 11:16:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Thursday, 21 June 2012 11:08:31 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
whoah, i think i missed that one. thats a lot of coin. maybe nz's biggest lost hoard.

i will help you find them for 1 coin and the right to photograph the discovery!

seriously i would help but something like that clearly has an owner.

would be a blast to find tho, which is what it is all about.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 21 June 2012 11:26:09 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
whoah, i think i missed that one. thats a lot of coin. maybe nz's biggest lost hoard.

i will help you find them for 1 coin and the right to photograph the discovery!

seriously i would help but something like that clearly has an owner.

would be a blast to find tho, which is what it is all about.

Hi Simon - If I thought of going looking then you would be welcome and as the owner died in 1862 I dont think he would be unduly upset at his money being found - I had thought about the rest of his descendants who are sort of numerous, something like the rabbits in the Lindis!
I think that if I found them then 'Mums the word' - I wouldnt be saying too much- I dont think I would take photos either BUT if you were there then I am sure that a share would not be amiss.

Yes I think it could well be New Zealand's largest lost hoard and I have no doubt of its existence - even during his life he was known as 'Cute, sharp and sly in his dealings'
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 21 June 2012 11:40:32 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
lammerlaw, i'm keen for a try. always like an adventure. chances are always against you but you don't find nothing if you don't make an effort.

when i talk photos i mean take photos, not necessarily go running to the nearest media outlet screaming.

sorry, i am a photographer so always wanting to take photos. it pays to be discreet though in who to show and where! which is why i don't put up where i go prospecting.

not that that's the world's biggest secret. anyone that asks i usually take for a go. but i'm sure there are far better spots to discover in terms of gold. half the fun is finding such spots yourself.

would be a great photo to have attached to your will or deposit in a time capsule. would probably nearly give someone a heart attack when the saw it all.
keywikiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 21 June 2012 11:52:14 AM(UTC)
keywikiwi

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
You could choose a team of your ten most trusted friends and associates that have metal detectors,set aside a week ,grid out the location into equal parts and do an extensive grid search.An idea that you have probably already thought about,Im sure there would be no shortage of voluteers just to have the chance to even look for it let alone find it.Or maybe could even tie in with cluthapetes 'get together weekend'?
Hunter  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 8:24:48 AM(UTC)
Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
We should be alright then ? unless we find a W Crown
*2014*
Rings PLT/PLA=0 GOLD=5 STG=18 Junk=4
Other Gold items- 4
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 27 June 2012 12:40:29 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Well, if anyone's gonna find one...

But no, even a Waitangi Crown is OK, unless it's the "pattern Waitangi Crown" which is different than the normal one and rarer than hen's teeth.