New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Vince  
Posted : Saturday, 25 September 2010 5:21:37 PM(UTC)
Vince

Groups: Registered
Man

Ok, there are the South Island areas speciallys et aside for panning etc without a permit, etc.

Reading the CMA site it appears the Crown owns the minerals and you need to have a permit to prospect, explore or mine starting at about $1600

Is this right?

So to fossick in say Coromandel or Northland you need a permit at (gulp!) $1600?

Or is there some other dispensation or system that allows anyone to fossick on a small scale in these areas too or do we just do it and no one enforces the regs?

I clicked the link below and edited a bit re the CMA review but based on the answers I get I may make a formal and detailed submission that the SI system be extended to all gold bearing areas for small scale fossicking such as most on here are doing

Edited by user Saturday, 25 September 2010 5:22:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MD369  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 September 2010 3:10:26 PM(UTC)
MD369

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Vince, the $1600 is just for starters. It's actually $3200 for an actual mining license, plus a charge per hectare, then don't forget about Resource consents, DOC, etc, etc... before you can do any "mining"...
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 September 2010 3:53:12 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Ouch!

Make sure you make your voice heard regarding the Crown Minerals Act Review - only got till the 8th October to make your voice heard in support of the relaxation of regulations ;)