New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

simon  
Posted : Saturday, 30 June 2012 7:02:46 PM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i've got a good sized deep cycle battery that i had for a bilge pump highbanker set up. the things so flat my trickle charger won't charge it. it has to be over 9 volts for it to charge it.

does anyone have any ideas on how to get a charge back in it. i'm taking it there are chargers that will charge depleted batteries?

usually it just takes a couple of charges with my trickle charger if it's too flat. obviously pretty much dead. the cold does that.
gogold  
Posted : Saturday, 30 June 2012 7:21:46 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
handy hint for charging most batteries that are that flat is charging them through another battery. I have used this method many times, all you need is another battery that has enough charge in it for your charger and a set of jumper leads.
atatch your charger to the good battery then join the jumper leads to your battery that is "dead" + to + - to - like in jump starting a car and then turn your charger on.
it will take a bit longer then normal to charge especially if your second battery is also a bit down in charge but it gets the job done if it is taking too long then i guess once your dead battery has got its voltage up a bit you could just hook your charger straight onto it like normal.
hope this helps
Jd  
Posted : Friday, 6 July 2012 3:11:02 PM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi can you tell me what is a high banker is new fella to gold thanks jd
mineforgold.co.nz  
Posted : Friday, 6 July 2012 10:24:41 PM(UTC)
mineforgold.co.nz

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Essentially a highbanker is just a sluice box that is operated on dry land.
The material is shoveled into it as with any sluice box and water is pumped into it to wash out the non gold.
Often they are two levels with the larger rocks flowing out the end of the first box while the fines drop down into another riffle box where they flow through and drop out the end. The advantage of this set up is that you can use a reasonably steep angle on the top box and let gravity do most of the work (needing less water to run). The fines can then be sorted with lower water volume meaning smaller gold is trapped.

They are most commonly used where water flow isn't suitable to run the traditional sluice box (the highbanker water can also be recycled with the use of a sediment trap), or on a beach where the water isn't flowing as such.
Own: Lobo SuperTraq, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Excalibur