New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

NiN  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 12:28:52 AM(UTC)
NiN

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi i found a small creek that has a small amount of gold in it. and going back to a previous post of reefs i was wondering if it was worth looking a bit harder in it ?. its not a very big one and has little water flow .its not in any claim that i know of but was just wondering if anyone could help me out??
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 1:23:35 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
If you dont look you wont find! If its small and insignificant there is a good chance it may not have been thrashed
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 9:52:19 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
NiN:

Hatter is right. some of your best chances are going to be the smaller waterways.

when everyone thinks of gold they seem to head to the usual places. down this way you would think the arrow, shotover, kawarau, clutha.

while these are the main waterways the gold had to get into these via the secondary water courses.

you may even find that the gold in the smaller waterways is courser than the main channel due to less velocity.

beyond small waterways have a look for signs of older water course traces. just because there is no water flowing any longer doesn't mean there's no gold there of course.

some of these smaller waters are great as you can easily 'disappear' up them for a poke around. and often they are not claimed due to there small size. they may of course be under a large exploratory or prospecting permit that blankets a region.

if you have exposed bedrock maybe run a detector over it. there may be gold trapped in the bedrock or on it's surface.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 12:01:40 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NiN Go to Quoted Post
hi i found a small creek that has a small amount of gold in it. and going back to a previous post of reefs i was wondering if it was worth looking a bit harder in it ?. its not a very big one and has little water flow .its not in any claim that i know of but was just wondering if anyone could help me out??

I know of several small creeks which have never been worked since my goldmining partner who was fifty years or so older than me had prospected them - One small creek which has never been worked since he was there to the best of my knowledge yielded 2 ounces out of one small crevice - many small creeks could well be better prospects than many of the rivers that everyone seems to want to fight each other over!

I know of quite a few other creeks some of which are mere trickles where he got really good gold and yet today no one bothers with them!

NiN  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 1:41:41 PM(UTC)
NiN

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
very interesting i will have a closer look and let yous know how i get on cheers guys.
treeman  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 7:36:18 PM(UTC)
treeman

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
small creeks, correct the best gold or biggest I have found when spiking them. I have some in the back of my mind to metal detect when I get one, one day.

cheers Treeman
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 7:38:55 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
whats spiking
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!