New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

steve  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 8:19:00 PM(UTC)
steve

Groups: Registered

Hi I am looking to purchase a metal detector for gold prospecting, I am currently in the UK and use a Tesoro for relic detecting, I find the Tesoro really good and am thinking of buying a Tesoro Lobo Supermax for when we return to NZ in September.

Can anyone please advise on what they think is the best machine for NZ conditions.

Thanks Steve
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:25:56 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
I dont know which is best steve..but if you are wanting to hunt GOLD..and coins/relics then you wont go wrong with the Fisher goldbug...i know guys down in central otago that have them for gold hunting and do very very well with them...and i had one for 7 months here in CHCH for coin relic hunting and have found plenty of silver coins and rings as well as a few silver bangles and 2 9ct gold rings..also alot of diff badges and buttons and older coins..and of course the newer coins such as the 1 and 2 dollar coins...
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 5 July 2012 10:47:31 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Might pay you to check out the Minelab range Steve as they are also quite
popular here. I don't know of anyone with the new CTX3030 yet but as it is waterproof
it could be good in rivers / streams.
It really depends on how big your purse is.
exkiwi123  
Posted : Thursday, 12 July 2012 10:32:47 PM(UTC)
exkiwi123

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
HI STEVE If you are thinking of bringing any detector back to NZ ask the seller or shop owner what warranty there is on it. Can it be fixed in NZ or do you have to send it back to UK MINELAB are a AUSSIE DETECTORS ALSO THEY ARE PULSE INDUCTSION // P/I made for gold more so than coin detecting These detectors start as SD2000 up to SD2200v2 appox $2000 AU ////GP 3000 ///$2000 to 2800 then GPX 4000///GPX5000 which is top of the line at $62500 If you are buying off Ebay in Aussie or Trade me in NZ make sure you buy from some one who has a warranty and i cannot stress more so that there are alot of dodgey seller out there If buying in aussie allways buy from a aurthoisd mine lab shop ///Watch out for cheap copies from china at cheap prices donot be temped ex kiwi living in AU
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 12 July 2012 10:40:51 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

and if you are just hunting gold the Goldbug 2 is a very very popular machine amongst prospectors.
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 12 July 2012 10:44:57 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
But if you have money nothing will beat a decent minelab detector. In the meantime a gold bug will have to do for me!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 12:01:45 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

hey matt i was with the understanding that the Goldbug 2 was one of the favored in the gold fields....im not talking about the goldbug like you have...i mean the one designed just for gold... the goldbug 2 that runs at 72 mhz
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 12:20:48 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

It is perhaps favoured by people like myself. In an area where the gravels and soils carry little mineralisation and we dont have a great deal of spare money. If you got to an area with a lot of black sand or a lot of mineralisation such as magnetite in the rock the gold bug will pretty qickly begin to struggle. In fact even the x-terra and other Vlfs that are produced will have problems in these areas. This is what the new PI machines are able to cope with, coupled with that they also get much better depth. The other side of the coin is a modern PI machine is probably 10 times the price of a gold bug. So if you dont have the money for a PI then you will be limited to gold that is buried less than 20cm deep (unless its large) and has to be in an area where a sufficiently low amount of interference comes from the rock/blacksand. If you have the money (which I don't) get yourself a PI and with it all the deeper gold that the gold bugs miss and all the gold that is in areas with too much mineralisation. Of course detector capability has to be multplied by operator skill and dedication. Swing a detector regardless of model in the wrong places and you wont get anything. Just my views.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 12:24:03 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Oh and I also think that my detector is designed for gold(6.8oz of proof in the last year) but has the "relic mode" added on.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 12:39:13 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

yup i know yours is designed for gold also...lol..and i saw your first 8 grams you found with it when robert and i were down at the rock and mineral show in dunedin..lol...and i think that is were you and i arnt talking about the same machine....you and i and graham all have the same goldbugs...... i am talking about the one that has no digital readout and is made only for gold...no discrimination on it..just an iron switch that you flick off and a thresh hold knob on the back and robert sells for 1135.....totally diff machine from what you and i have..lol...and has been around for many many many many years..lol....they havent changed the design of the goldbug 2 since it came out because of it's ability and popularity in the fields...
here is a link to the one i am talking about..lol http://www.fisherlab.com...bug-2-metal-detector.htm