New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

zimbo  
Posted : Thursday, 12 July 2012 6:38:30 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
hello fellow diggers ever wondered, whats under that rock, if only i could move it, well while browsing the net, found this web page it could be quite use-full stuff check it out
http://expando.net.nz/
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 12 July 2012 9:58:03 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
that could be usefull! wonder what it costs tho
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
zimbo  
Posted : Thursday, 12 July 2012 10:03:47 PM(UTC)
zimbo

i contacted them today got one small bag on its way i will let you know how i get on

5kg of Expando is $50 +gst plus delivery.

Delivery of such a small package through our freight company costs around $50 but if you are happy to wait for NZ Post mail it will take around 2 - 3 days, but we are happy to cover that cost for you as a Thank you for trying our new product.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 1:03:36 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I wonder how much it would require to break up a rock I have a problem with which is as large as a small van??????

I just happen to know where theres a large rock which I have pondered for a long time with the idea on mind of 'removing' it - Zimbo, I am interested in what decisions you come to after trying it. I suspect that for my purpose the results may not pay for the amount of Expando I would require as the amount required for a 32mm hole one metre deep is considerable and at $50 per kg the final cost might in fact be prohibitive and a great deal more than the cost of chemical persuasion..
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 1:58:51 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

How hard is the rock, and can you get a big fire lit under/beside it? If you can heat it up as much as possible then hit it with a rush of cold water, that'll shatter (parts of) it.

If not, concrete/diamond cutter - cut inverted vees in the top of the rock as deep as you can and fill with water and let winter take it's toll.

simon  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 11:31:55 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
zimbo: i've seen this last year on a u tube video.

a good tool to have but as lammerlaw has pointed out, how much would it cost to break the big rocks?

and you still need to drill the holes.

then again, a lot of the rock around here has lots of cracks. i wonder what it's expansion is like on smaller cracks (as opposed to drilling a big uniform sized hole?

sure beats digging the base out to get them to fall!

i've got a boulder that is at least 1 to 2 tonnes, lying just off the flat. right in the way like usual. would love to try this on that. only problem is i may then be left with 2 still large boulder pieces. i'm going to try some winching first. i cleared a stream bed blocked by 3 boulders with a mate and his winch. took a few attempts but paid good dividends (not under it but just clearing out the gorge upstream by ground sluicing).
zimbo  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 6:27:59 PM(UTC)
zimbo

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
zimbo: i've seen this last year on a u tube video.

a good tool to have but as lammerlaw has pointed out, how much would it cost to break the big rocks?

and you still need to drill the holes.

then again, a lot of the rock around here has lots of cracks. i wonder what it's expansion is like on smaller cracks (as opposed to drilling a big uniform sized hole?

sure beats digging the base out to get them to fall!

i've got a boulder that is at least 1 to 2 tonnes, lying just off the flat. right in the way like usual. would love to try this on that. only problem is i may then be left with 2 still large boulder pieces. i'm going to try some winching first. i cleared a stream bed blocked by 3 boulders with a mate and his winch. took a few attempts but paid good dividends (not under it but just clearing out the gorge upstream by ground sluicing).

i have the same problem in there area i am working ,will post some pictures up with the out come, what are you up to this weekend?, i would be keen to catch up if your not to busy, weather not looking too good at the moment, the river levels might be up due to snow melt etc , maybe a bit of detecting?

Edited by user Friday, 13 July 2012 6:40:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 7:56:25 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Zimbo:

i can't do this weekend sorry - other commitments unfortunately.

the following weekend perhaps.

i was out at the shotover today. thursday i made a wing dam. worked out well as the river had come up a bit today by the time i got there. was coming up all day a little. i went away to do a photo and came back and it was coming up a lot quicker. the water was over the track upstream. the guys dredging have done right up to the track edge so quite a drop in if you miss the track.

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 10:33:57 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

How hard is the rock, and can you get a big fire lit under/beside it? If you can heat it up as much as possible then hit it with a rush of cold water, that'll shatter (parts of) it.

If not, concrete/diamond cutter - cut inverted vees in the top of the rock as deep as you can and fill with water and let winter take it's toll.

As an interesting matter of fact the river in which it sits in the middle of might just sort of hinder any chance of lighting a fire under it IF you could light a fire under it in the first place. Yes sir it does have cracks in it and probaably has for the last six million three hundred and sixty five thousand years and four months and and hasnt cracked open during that time so I can only assume that I might have to wait a few million more years for nature to take its toll...of course I have always known of chemical persuasion but this rock could be rather costly using that method as well.

I Have also taken a good deal of gold out from the crack that goers under it at both ends so have long looked at this particular rock and considered the options.

Concrete cutter - this is a big rock and I daresay that a concrete cutter would have a major haemorrhage if it was expected to cut this rock up and I only get 52 weeks holiday a year so not enough time on my hands to attempt that tactic.

mineforgold.co.nz  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 10:53:47 PM(UTC)
mineforgold.co.nz

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hydraulics are marvelous thing.
Own: Lobo SuperTraq, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Excalibur
oroplata  
Posted : Friday, 13 July 2012 11:09:38 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Yeah, I didn't mean cut the whole rock up. I mean cut slots in the top to fill with water and let it freeze. That might help split the rock, or at least reduce the mass. Might take a few attempts but it will hurry the natural processes.

zimbo  
Posted : Saturday, 14 July 2012 10:39:18 AM(UTC)
zimbo

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

As an interesting matter of fact the river in which it sits in the middle of might just sort of hinder any chance of lighting a fire under it IF you could light a fire under it in the first place. Yes sir it does have cracks in it and probaably has for the last six million three hundred and sixty five thousand years and four months and and hasnt cracked open during that time so I can only assume that I might have to wait a few million more years for nature to take its toll...of course I have always known of chemical persuasion but this rock could be rather costly using that method as well.

I Have also taken a good deal of gold out from the crack that goers under it at both ends so have long looked at this particular rock and considered the options.

Concrete cutter - this is a big rock and I daresay that a concrete cutter would have a major haemorrhage if it was expected to cut this rock up and I only get 52 weeks holiday a year so not enough time on my hands to attempt that tactic.

hi lammerlaw have you considered ammonia nitrate and diesel, i have see interesting results on youtube?
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 15 July 2012 10:45:19 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mineforgold.co.nz Go to Quoted Post
Hydraulics are marvelous thing.

Hi there MFG & everyone else, MFG.....are you referering to hydraulics as in porter power packs & hydraulic jacks? That was going to be my suggestion. You only need to move a boulder a fraction to be able to wash out the goodies from under it.

Good luck out there

JW :)
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:10:18 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Zimbo - Funny you saying that as I saw buckets of it a few years ago and had not actually thought of it to be honest but had considered Powergel - enough of it would do the trick I daresay and just the only day was discussing that option with a friend of mine.

JW - In my case a BIG rock and I sure dont want to wreck my Porter power - the Porter Power is only a seven or ten ton one and the Rock is a lot lot bigger.

Years ago I was extremely adept at removing rocks but none this size nor anything near it.
1864hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 15 July 2012 12:41:41 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Good potential for gold under a rock that size!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
mineforgold.co.nz  
Posted : Sunday, 15 July 2012 11:26:20 PM(UTC)
mineforgold.co.nz

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I normally use hydraulics from within a heated cab, but yes manual would be better than nothing.

It is all a matter of leverage Lammerlaw!
Make it an event and see how many people we can kill moving the rock .. less to divvy up between for the successful survivors.
Own: Lobo SuperTraq, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Excalibur
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 16 July 2012 7:40:23 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

Hi Graeme, Fair enough. Yes monster boulders were the curse of the gold miner & they old timers went to great lengths to get rid of them. One of their methods was to drill holes & drive in wooden plugs, pour water onto the wooden plug to saturate it & the plug would expand & hopefully crack the boulder into more managable pieces.

JW :)