New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Marty  
Posted : Sunday, 15 July 2012 2:00:30 PM(UTC)
Marty

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Looking at getting into metel detecting. I have read up on different models and looked at youtube. I am looking at the F2 and Garrett 250. Price range about $500. What is my best bet? Is there anything second hand available?

Thanks, Mark
Invercargill
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 15 July 2012 2:17:25 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
i have just purchased a gold bug it seems from what i have seen and read pretty easy to use and will do the job of finding gold
seen one in operation and was impressed
going now to sell my ureka gold read up on them and let me know if you are interested
Marty  
Posted : Sunday, 15 July 2012 4:27:22 PM(UTC)
Marty

New Zealand

Sorry, I look to have put this in the wrong thread :/ I probably should have said what I am looking for too. I will be looking for coins, relics etc. Under Specification for the Ureka Gold it states gold prospecting where as under some of the other comparisons, it shows coins, relics etc. I see that it has discrimination settings but is it designed for coins/relics etc or primarily gold?

Thanks, Mark
Marty  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2012 10:35:05 AM(UTC)
Marty

New Zealand

Thanks for the offer. I have gone for an F2 and pointer from Rob.

Cheers, mark
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2012 11:50:59 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I purchased a Goldbug and have had amazing success with it - my son has done even better and both machines are now paid off several times over.

One of the members here uses his for coins and Gold and has had great success with both. I use mine for Gold only and on one occasion swung it across a thin layer of hard grey silt by the bank and in one swing detected three pieces of Gold. It has found pieces which I would never have found otherwise due to the small size and the almost imperceptible crack in the bedrock in which they had somehow lodged.

On another occasion it gave an almost imperceptible tone variation and nothing whatsoever on the readout and when I prised the bedrock apart quite deep down was about a gramme of tiny flakes spread out over about 15cm by 15cms.

The Goldbug is truly value for dollars. After careful consideration we decided on two Goldbugs rather than a Goldbug and an F2 and we do not regret this decision at all.
NiN  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 July 2012 12:29:32 PM(UTC)
NiN

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi lammerlaw is that a gold bug or gold bug 2?