New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 6 August 2012 3:47:48 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
has anyone been up that way to have a look? Is it easy enough to drive into? From what Ive read, its not the most hospitable place but was thinking about a bit of a reccy to see if theres any colour in the lower creeks etc. Anyone been there, done that?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Monday, 6 August 2012 11:24:22 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Access road needs permission, call Lower Glenthorne Station Cristy Brown 318 5818. A 4wd will save you 2 hours of bulder hopping. To get to the auriferous creeks you need to cross the Wilberforce, even with low water not all that easy. Great rafting though. Have fun, its a gorgeous valley.
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 6 August 2012 11:38:56 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Thanks for that! Exactly what I wanted to know. Hmmm sounds like a mission for a mate with a 4wd :) Lets hope Ash reads this then! Any other cantabrians keen for a wee trip up there?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 6 August 2012 11:48:45 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nugget-Hunter Go to Quoted Post
Access road needs permission, call Lower Glenthorne Station Cristy Brown 318 5818. A 4wd will save you 2 hours of bulder hopping. To get to the auriferous creeks you need to cross the Wilberforce, even with low water not all that easy. Great rafting though. Have fun, its a gorgeous valley.

Cheers for the info - I've been planning on getting up there myself some point soon. Might have to hook up for a joint bit of fun!

@Nugget-Hunter - Is that permission for going up the 4wd route on the left side (south) or right (north), or maybe even both? Looks like there's 4wd access either side, though the left hand side requires a river crossing before even getting on to the track (going through Mt Algidus).

I recently read "Going for Gold" - The Search for Riches in the Wilberforce Valley by Howard Keene. Interesting read - picked it up while researching the area ;)

Edited by user Monday, 6 August 2012 11:51:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 August 2012 12:09:10 AM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

up Harper Road, true left hand side
Jd  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 August 2012 6:55:03 PM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi im just reading the wilberforce gold at the moment im in chch now but back to blenheim tomorrow id be keen but im tied for the next few weeks with family from the uk ive been reading up on the wilberfoce and the gold history from what I know so far you have to go up the vally brownings pass way to the gold seam up their their is an old abandond mine at 1300 mtrs which i am trying to locate any one know were that is it would be worth a look jd
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 August 2012 7:18:48 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

I saw a mine marked on a map but trying to remember which map it was. It's not on any of the online ones IIRC.

Jd  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 7:10:24 PM(UTC)
Jd

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Just finished the going for gold howard keene wilberforce gold its well worth a read i found that mine it was in their got plenty out of it im keen to go up their now id say it would be 8 hours or more walking brownings pass you would have to stay their for a few days to check the area out properly the mine is over 1000 meters long
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 8:15:23 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
if you can get up to the head of the wlberforce valley in 8 hours that a supper effort
been there done that it took me 2 days and i consider myself bloody fit

dont forget once there you have a major climb to get to the enterance of the mine

to go over browning pass would have to be a summer trip up the styx river to grassy flats hut, over pass into the arahura, up and over browning pass and down into the wiberforce

go for it superman
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 9:32:35 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

an other choice trip in is up the Taupo River, 4 wd to the Seven Mile, then walk up the relative easy track to the Julia Hut, 9-10 hours and enjoy the natural hot pools just below the hut. There are old overgrown diggings arround the hut too. The next day is a bit of a scrub bash up to Popes Pass which is just above the scree/bluffs with the drift. The actual reef is on the slopes of Mt. Harman, the drift is well below in order to intercept the reef at dept. After that you can drop down into the Wilberforce and bulder hop and river cross all the way out to the Harper Road end. Be prepered to spend a few days sitting out a flooded river crossing. The side creeks are more difficult then the big flat water flow which you can swimm accross over a kilometer or so getting draged down stream. Hmm, just wondering how mutch Doc would charge to get a raft choppered in to the Urquhart, Hut when they do there maintenance trip.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 8:59:15 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi nugget hunter
if you require chopper i have access to one at good rates with work i fly round the back country a little WhAT A SHIT OF A JOB

the hot pools are worth the trip anyway

Jd  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 11:01:55 AM(UTC)
Jd

New Zealand

Hi I should of added im on a 4 wheel motor bike I did this trip a few years ago but not as far as brownings that is new teritory but you are right it would be a few days staying up their i have just read about the mountain but I havnt been their yet im keen to tho just doing my home work 1st jd
greyhound12  
Posted : Sunday, 19 January 2014 8:49:45 PM(UTC)
greyhound12

New Zealand

anyone been up there lately? wouldn't mind checking it out even just for the hot pools
Golden Oldie  
Posted : Sunday, 23 February 2014 11:24:21 AM(UTC)
Golden Oldie

New Zealand

Hi,

Can anyone supply the Lat and Long of the mine?

Cheers.