New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

digger  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 12:39:47 AM(UTC)
digger

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi guys. I was just wondering, as a reference and, really a way to get a feel for whats out there and in away to avoid..;
Have you ever had a model of detector that was soo annoying that you would have chucked in the bin/feed it to the dog, if it were not for the fact that you shelled out good hard earned cash for it..??

I can start it off.
I have a GC 1009, where it detected objects fine it would only reach a depth of about 3" ( 10 cm ). The display meter would jump violently from 0 to 10 every time it detected an object no matter what it was (so no way of telling what metal may be under there).
The discrimination didn't work and to top it off it would give false "hits" at the end of each swing.. (that was a coil problem)..

It hasn't totally put me off detectors made in China,, for the kids but,, I now have a Garrett and a Fisher for mum and dad.

Edited by user Friday, 14 September 2012 12:41:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Current; (Garrett pinpointer), Fisher, Whites, (Old)Minelab.
**Previous**; GC1009, Bounty Hunter 505, Gta-x 1000, AT-Pro
simon  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 9:38:05 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I've only ever owned the Gold Bug 2. Thought i would do it right and get something decent.

Still need to complement it with a Minelab for the deeper stuff and for places where there are many hot rocks.

Thus, my most hated detector is the Minelab. Any of the models. There's lots of them. They are all highly capable of finding the gold.

My hate is seeing them out there not being used properly. such wasted potential.

A detector high in the sky is wasted. a good detector high in the sky is more wasted.

Even worse is the nice minelab that sits at home sad.

Gets me thinking of all those nice shiny keene 2 inch dredges i see come out at times like summer holidays. By come out i mean they go along for the trip and get sat next to the stream where they beg to get their motor humming. perhaps once. just for a few minutes. before sadly slinknig back to their nice new shiny box.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 10:06:12 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Simon

Bit confused. You hate Minelab detectors but you like their capabilities but you don't like the way people use them. So if you saw someone using one, low and slow and they were scoring, would you like Minelabs then?

I have owned two detectors in my life, both Minelabs. First was the Sovereign then the Quattro, the Sov was my favourite even though it didn't have a meter. I found the most "treasures" in Chch with that one. I think I worked it to death. Traded up to the Quattro and that did take some getting used to but it all comes down to how you use it.
Patience and perseverance and you will find the hidden potential of anything. Have you ever thought to talk to the people who are swinging too high? Perhaps teach them something useful?

Nothing wrong with Minelabs folks, practice practice practice
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
element111  
Posted : Friday, 14 September 2012 10:45:00 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
i dont think there is such a thing as a most disliked detector ,they all have there plus's and minus's about them ,just personal preference really

but my best by far is minelab they are amazingly good iv had the xterra70(6"coil), eureka gold(8" coil), and sd2200d all of them pick up very small gold (sd2200d with the coiltec 6" coil is dynamite on anything it swings over in my tests iv done with it) ,my mate has the gpx5000(im trying to upgrade to one but the $9000 dollar bill is a bit much) the gpx5000 is awsome ,if u want to find gold buy the best you can afford as you dont want to be walking around missing all the targets