New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

coinnut  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 6:03:39 PM(UTC)
coinnut

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Hi everyone my name is Adam and after many months maybe years of considering it I have finally got my first machine, a F4 from Puiaki supply and a big thanks to Robert for the excellent customer service. So I've done the backyard much to the wife's disgust! And been over to the local park, understand most of the functions except the ground balanced AM mode seems to be constant noise not sure how you find anything with all that chatter going on.
Anyway keen to meet up with for a bit of hunting & advise, does anyone go out in the middle of the night? I work shifts at the railways so I'm often up and about all hours.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
number8wire  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 8:44:36 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Hi Adam and welcome to the Forum. I'm fairly new here too (about 3 months) but it doesn't take long to get to know a few people around here. There are quite a few from Chch on here and we meet up at various different times and places all around Chch. We do night hunts sometimes but not on a regular basis. If you'd like to meet a few of the guys and gal's, we have an unofficial club meeting on the last Sunday of the month at the Papanui Club on Sawyers Arms Rd, at 7.00pm in the main bar. You're welcome to come along if you have time. We usually do a night hunt after the meeting also. Cheers mate and happy hunting.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
coinnut  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 11:19:09 PM(UTC)
coinnut

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Thanks for the welcome number8, I will definitely get to the pap club for a meet up, I can imagine this hobby (or addiction!) to be even more enjoyable in a group. Now to change subject slightly do you recommend the proper digging tool or will any old hand trowel do?
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 11:39:21 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Hand trowels work fine..then there is the leache digging tool....also you can get one of those cheap small 3 foot spades from warehouse and gind down the sides to make a great digging tool......flick me a PM with your cell phone number and i will add you to my phone and let you know when im going out day or night...

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
expat  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 11:43:36 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Welcome Adam, from another Christchurch hunter. Whereabouts in the city do you live? I often do a bit straight after work at around 5 or so.

Oh..and I use an F4.

Edited by user Saturday, 15 September 2012 11:44:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
Chrispy  
Posted : Saturday, 15 September 2012 11:51:22 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
hey mate and welcome. im fairly new at this too (couple months) and yes it is an addiction. theres a few of us that go out a bit after work till late.
i would definatly sugest a proper digging knife as i broke 2 trowels when i started. hope to see you out and about soon and good luk.
coinnut  
Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2012 12:37:59 AM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
Welcome Adam, from another Christchurch hunter. Whereabouts in the city do you live? I often do a bit straight after work at around 5 or so.

Oh..and I use an F4.

Originally Posted by: Chrispy Go to Quoted Post
hey mate and welcome. im fairly new at this too (couple months) and yes it is an addiction. theres a few of us that go out a bit after work till late.
i would definatly sugest a proper digging knife as i broke 2 trowels when i started. hope to see you out and about soon and good luk.

That took me awhile to work out the multi quote! Not to familiar with forums/blogs.

I live n queenspark/parklands, I basically have 3 finish times at work 3pm, 11pm & 7am covering 3 shifts so can be a bit tricky catching up, rarely work weekends though. Expat where do you hail from in the UK? I spent many years over there mainly in the west country. And I'll have to pick your brains about the F4.
Can you buy a lesche knife in Chch?

Edited by user Sunday, 16 September 2012 1:01:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
expat  
Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2012 10:56:08 AM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Hi Adam, I live in Rangiora but work around the Redcliffs area. I come from Milton Keynes in the UK, been here 9 years now.
There are a few of us using the F4 and we all rate them highly. Great for silvers!!
The lesche can be obtained through Rob or Chris, AKA poohbear on this site.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
coinnut  
Posted : Sunday, 16 September 2012 3:39:52 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Cool think I need a bit of help with the all metal mode & ground balancing everything else seems understandable just learning the different tones & targets, comes through experience I suppose. Milton Keynes is quite a new city for the UK aye bit different from Rangiora!
Went down to the beach today just got heaps of junk but the kids had a ball, anyway hopefully catch up with you all at the pap club on the 30th.
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
Metal Mikey  
Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 2:00:28 AM(UTC)
Metal Mikey

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi and welcome to the hobby.
I also have an F4 and find it very satisfactory, although Expat regularly outfinds me on the same field? I think he must have an extra mode he uses when hunting with me. Have been very busy last two months but intend to make up for that before christmas. If someone with the same detector was to walk around with you telling you what it is saying including the type of sound it makes, im sure it would be very helpful at the beginning. I still dig lots of rubbish but hopefully dont miss the jewellery. My detector hasnt paid for itself yet but is past 1/2 way.
I also live in Rangiora and Expat and I didnt meet till after we had both brought F4s.

Cheers Mike.

Edited by user Monday, 17 September 2012 2:02:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

coinnut  
Posted : Monday, 17 September 2012 9:16:39 PM(UTC)
coinnut

New Zealand

Hi MM cheers for the welcome, it's good to hear that other people have the F4 because it makes me feel like I made a good choice. I would have liked to buy a Gold Bug but thought it wise to start of with something a bit cheaper to see how I went .
Where do you guys go? Can you just go out to any old field and find stuff? I went out last night to the park over the road found a 1899 penny, a few 1s and 2s and a old spoon that I thought was silver but turned out to be plated bugger!
Fisher F70 + X-Pointer
Chrispy  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 September 2012 9:21:23 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
hey coinnut good score on the penny. hey mate i live by QE2 and go out as much as i can. ill pm my details so you can buz me when you are goin out.
hagley park is still givin up lots of cool treasures. best thing to look for in a park is realy big old trees. the bigger the trees generaly means the older the park. also playgrounds with bark around the swings and stuff produce spendin money. happy swingin.