New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 27 September 2012 10:32:41 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I have just taken possession of this outstanding piece of equipment - Its hits coins as good as, if not better than the Fisher F2 & is an absolute demon on small targets like the Garrett Ace series -

First thing that blows you away is how light it actually is -

The build quality is the best I have experienced with quality locking collars, which make machines 3X the price, feel inferior - Its uses ONE 9v battery to breath life into the Delta, which should give you between 20-25hrs of hunting - Getting in and out of the battery compartment is hassle free - The VDI is easily navigated, even by someone just starting out in metal detecting -

After powering it up you can scroll through the MODE selections (DISCRIMINATION - ALL METALS A1 A2 -PINPOINT)

Then by pressing the MENU you can easily adjust the SENSITIVITY - DISC LEVEL - NOTCH & VOLUME

All controls are easily reached with your thumb & the VDI is clear & easy to see (I am half blind lol)

I have only used this machine for around 30 minutes in a very small picnic area which has been extensily hunted by me using a F2 - Ace150 - AT Pro - In fact the last time I was there I spent a couple of hours with the AT Pro and came away with a 1c piece (happy happy joy joy) - So I did'nt really expect to find anything when I rocked up with the Delta 4000

After turning it on I moved forward about four paces and picked up a faint repeatable signal - Pinpointing was accurate & simple - I dug down about 6" and the target was still in the hole (lforgot my PP), which was unusual for this park as NOTHING pre-decimal has been pulled from there & all finds have been no deeper than 4" -
I dug out another couple of inches & run the 8" concentric coil over the small mound of dirt - Its out (phew)

First Coin from the Delta was silver 1933 sixpence - I almost fell over - after that I pulled a couple of !c & 2c pieces and about 8 pulltabs - NOTHING else - First time user on this and I am pulling those targets in my first 30 minutes - I was stoked (ok ok I dont happen to live in that metal detecting heaven called Chch lol) -

What more can I say?

Had my heart set on an Omega & ended up with the Delta - The reason behind that decision is that I took some invaluable advice from someone who has extensively used both & rated the much cheaper Delta 4000 ($279USD approx) - For those who are not in the know Teknetics are made by First Texas who also make Fisher & Bounty Hunter & Dave Johnson is an absolute legend in metal detecting design

This is yet a fantastic detector that does go deep on very small targets - Auto Notching is awesome and the tones are easy to understand - I havent even put an hour on this unit but I feel I have had it for years - Light, strong & looks good (just like I used to 30 years ago lol) -

The downside, if there is one, its the fact that they also produce these units with the push in plug connectors for the coils as well as the screw on connections - I am familiar with this from when I was using the Fisher F2 - The older F2's used a push on & the later a screw on - However until now I have since found out that Teknetics utilises both connection types which just causes more confusion than needed -

YOU need to know this as Teknetics use the same box for both versions of the Delta & after speaking with their TEK support - Its up to the buyer to open the box before purchasing _ I would have thought that they would check what box they put what detector in - Now nothing major but here's a heads up if your looking at getting one - The 'B' version shall we say has 1/8" headphone jack & the push in coil connection, whereas, their 'A' version has both the 1/8" & 1/4" headphone jack & the screw in connection - both detectors appear to be sold in the same box where the 'A' version is displayed & could cause confusion if you are unaware of this -

Asides from that - I think the Teknetics Delta 4000 to be the best detector I have used thus far

I hope this helps someone - Sorry for the rambling - Safe & Happy Hunting
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
number8wire  
Posted : Thursday, 27 September 2012 11:14:47 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Hey mate......."SNAP".........I took possession of my Delta 4000 about a month ago (secondhand from a very experienced MD'er and a good mate ) and find it absolutely brilliant. I run the 11" DD coil on it and have accurately dug targets 10-12 inches deep. I find the pin point function extremely accurate and because the unit is so light, I find that I can swing the coil for hours without any undue strain on the arms. Also, as you said, both the audio tones and the numbers are easy to understand and it doesn't take long to get to know the "ins and outs" of this tidy little machine.
All in all, a great little MD thus far. Happy Hunting!
PS......I got the "A" version.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 28 September 2012 12:25:05 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Awesome stuff No 8 -

I was just excited about this detector I wanted to let you guys know -

I got mine off ebay from a guy who purchased it for a vacation & used it for about an hour - seemed metal detecting wasn't his forte - I got a mint 'B'

Like I said before - I have no idea why they insist on having both push on and screw on coils for the same model detectors ?????????

I will be ordering the 11"DD soon for summer
tonznz  
Posted : Friday, 28 September 2012 1:19:06 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Dudes, I have a teknetics T2 SE bought from kellyco this year. Love this machine. I got it for gold nuggets, but I have yet to use it in central. Apparently the designer is an legend. The gold mode is an all metal mode. I don't know how to use some features of it yet, but its being doing me great favours with silver coins here in dunedin. Roy from chch has a teknetics also. He does well with those deep old coins too.
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 October 2012 2:39:16 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
Dudes, I have a teknetics T2 SE bought from kellyco this year. Love this machine. I got it for gold nuggets, but I have yet to use it in central. Apparently the designer is an legend. The gold mode is an all metal mode. I don't know how to use some features of it yet, but its being doing me great favours with silver coins here in dunedin. Roy from chch has a teknetics also. He does well with those deep old coins too.

That's great to hear Tony - will be up your way for a couple of days next month so would be great to catch up with you for an hour or so -

If you want to try either -

GoldBug (orig)
AT Pro
Delta 4000
Tesoro Compadre
Discovery 3300

then let me know ;)

Happy Hunting

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 8 October 2012 9:01:30 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Hey number8wire - these Delta's are coin magnets mate ........ I cant believe my finds have increased dramatically
number8wire  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 11:00:35 AM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sycotoad Go to Quoted Post
Hey number8wire - these Delta's are coin magnets mate ........ I cant believe my finds have increased dramatically

Yep......best MD investment I'm made to date. The 11" DD coil is the next step if you don't already have it and believe me, it takes the machine's performance to the next level. I've had some good finds at 8-10 inches with this coil.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 11:52:57 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

got one coming - should be here in the next couple of days - still, I am amazed at the depth with the 8" concentric -

happy & safe hunting ;)

the delta 4k is certainly a keeper