New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

nzranger  
Posted : Saturday, 6 October 2012 7:48:01 PM(UTC)
nzranger

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

I ordered an Fisher F2 package from www.colonialmetaldetectors.com
Unfortunately when my package arrived 10 days later, I found the screen was cracked and basically made it unusable.

At the moment I've sent an email along to the website to see what the next step is. Then I read on their website that broken units will have to be sorted with the manufacturer and according to the warranty card that came with the parcel. Checked that out and I'll have to call them overseas to get a ref number that has a 15day limit so I have to deliver this broken part within 15days and pay for delivery because the warranty doesn't cover delivery costs for people overseas.

At this stage I regret just passing up the bonus items and ordering from puiakisupply. I guess being the weekend I'll have to wait a few days for a response from the site and I'll take it from there. Completely bummed as I was looking forward to doing some treasure hunting this week.

image of broken unit

Edited by user Saturday, 6 October 2012 10:38:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Current unit: Garrett AT Pro
breadman  
Posted : Saturday, 6 October 2012 8:12:52 PM(UTC)
breadman

New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
nzranger.....Read your post...trust all goes well for you....We all can understand the feeling of not being able to go "hunting".....
Regards
Breadman
madsonicboating  
Posted : Sunday, 7 October 2012 12:20:28 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
dude that sucks but yep its the ol case of sometimes ordering locally makes it easier...hope to see some happy news for ya once sorted and some pics of what ya find :)

Dan
nzranger  
Posted : Sunday, 7 October 2012 11:15:20 AM(UTC)
nzranger

Man
New Zealand

I just got a response, surprisingly he's going to refund me in full.

Seems like a really nice guy. So I guess that's sorted for now.
I just need to survive the next 10 or so days for a different unit that I'll order soon. Probably an AT Pro.
Current unit: Garrett AT Pro
expat  
Posted : Sunday, 7 October 2012 11:41:27 AM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Excellent result. Alls well that ends well, as they say. Glad you got it sorted.
I personally think there's a lot to be said from buying here as opposed to shipping in, certainly problems are usually easier to solve. And then there's that dreaded import tax which stung me years ago when I brought a Whites machine in.

Anyhow, well done on getting your money back, hope to hear some good discovery stories from you soon with whatever machine you chose to buy.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 8 October 2012 12:09:45 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: expat Go to Quoted Post
Excellent result. Alls well that ends well, as they say. Glad you got it sorted.
I personally think there's a lot to be said from buying here as opposed to shipping in, certainly problems are usually easier to solve. And then there's that dreaded import tax which stung me years ago when I brought a Whites machine in.

Anyhow, well done on getting your money back, hope to hear some good discovery stories from you soon with whatever machine you chose to buy.

Import tax? - Isn't it just GST on goods & freight if the total is over $400NZD?

Also if paid using PayPal you are virtually guaranteed your money back if something goes wrong

I certainly would look at buying local if I was buying an expensive machine, but personally if I was looking at an introductory unit I would buy from overseas IMHO

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
simon  
Posted : Monday, 8 October 2012 10:20:58 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
sycotoad,

na man, it's a bit like getting a gold permit, there's more to it.

as well as GST you will get a import duty too i believe. this varies depending on what type of product you import. some items have higher duties than others. you can get around this by declaring a low value and telling semi truths. a good example someone told me was when importing multiple watches you say it is clocks (hence obviously clocks are levied at a lower rate than many watches that would be classed as jewellery i think.
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 8 October 2012 10:55:49 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
sycotoad,

na man, it's a bit like getting a gold permit, there's more to it.

as well as GST you will get a import duty too i believe. this varies depending on what type of product you import. some items have higher duties than others. you can get around this by declaring a low value and telling semi truths. a good example someone told me was when importing multiple watches you say it is clocks (hence obviously clocks are levied at a lower rate than many watches that would be classed as jewellery i think.

There is no import duty on metal detectors. Transaction fees and taxes yes but no duty. Items imported into the country that are not manufactured or pose no risk to NZ industries do not attract any duty - Customs have a list of what has duty and what is exempt. Detectors are zero rated.

There was a thread awhile ago about it all: http://www.paydirt.co.nz/forums/yaf_postst363p2_Kellyco.aspx?=#.UHH3hE1FzyA. Below is a copy of my invoice from customs when I imported the V3i. Only transaction fees and taxes are on it.

Customs invoice
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 8 October 2012 8:58:57 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
thanks shilo - saves me pointing that out to simon - cheers ;)
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder