New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Oliver123  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 October 2012 7:52:08 PM(UTC)
Oliver123

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
im looking to get into detecting is the fisher 2 anygood for starting?
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 October 2012 8:13:26 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
I might be a bit biased since I sell the things, but I am going to say 'yes.' There are several manufacturers who make quality inexpensive models, but I don't think any are better than the F2. The cheaper Chinese stuff isn't worth having. The main difference between the inexpensive models and the high dollar units is mostly their ground balancing and discrimination abilities. The F2 is very capable of finding targets; Poohbear for example has a bad habit of out detecting me and my F75 with his F2. You posted this in the 'gold detecting' section, I am not sure if you are intending to look for gold, but an F2 would not be the best for that purpose.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 October 2012 8:14:25 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Hi oliver the F2 is a great starter machine..i use my sons all the time since i sold my goldbug to get my truck...lol...but like robert says if you are looking for gold as well as coins and relics then you will want the goldbug as it is a great all rounder....i have found over 31 silver rings with mine and i know jason who bought it off me has found gold rings with it...and robert found a small gold nugget with it as well.....

Edited by user Wednesday, 17 October 2012 8:17:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
madsonicboating  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 October 2012 9:00:26 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/user/madsonicboating

oliver...my first detecting vids are done using a CHINESE detector and despite what a lot of people say, if you own one, and know how to suss out what a beep or signal means verses the depth AND the area ya in, you can do very well with them. That incls finding small silver thruppences up to 8 inches deep. They are slower to detect a field with tho.

That being said, I use a F2 now and I love it...the bigger coil (11"DD) is brilliant and the speed at which the detector resets itself to find the next target is impressive (IE when theres 2 or 3 coins close to each other the F2 will work that out not just think theres one big target)

ANY detector will work and will find you gold silver and shit metals. You have to learn via experience...you can't be told or shown it all...you gotta swing dig and learn.

and mate, cover ya holes back up so noone knows ya've been digging :)
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 18 October 2012 12:11:35 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Totally agree with the previous posts - I started with the F2 a little under a year ago - Didn't want to sell it as I had just become very confident in using it however needed to, to finance an upgrade to an AT Pro - I still miss the F2, especially for coin shooting - I was actually going to purchase another F2 but spent a little more & got a Teknetics Delta 4000 instead .....

Edited by user Thursday, 18 October 2012 6:36:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
jase265  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 January 2013 10:41:21 PM(UTC)
jase265

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
metal detecting, I have a bounty hunter iv , it has found me a lot of coins! an paid for it self times over now, the f2 is a great tool as from what I have seen on youtube... an if anyone gets a AT pro let me know how it goes on gold
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 January 2013 10:23:54 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jase265 Go to Quoted Post
metal detecting, I have a bounty hunter iv , it has found me a lot of coins! an paid for it self times over now, the f2 is a great tool as from what I have seen on youtube... an if anyone gets a AT pro let me know how it goes on gold

Jase I think the main advantage of the AT Pro is it is waterproof. Not sure how useful it is for gold. I would suggest that before you upgrade you check out the Minelab range we offer . Perhaps the X Terra 705 or the Gold pack may suit your style.

Chris
DetectNZ
Auckland
021 569 014

Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 January 2013 10:51:52 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
The AT Pro is optimised for coins and jewellery. It is extremely good picking up gold rings and jewellery and personally I think it is a much more advanced detector then the F2 for this type of hunting. But it may not be the best choice for very small nuggets where the AT Gold would be a better choice from the Garrett range.

There are many detectors in the range you are looking at. Best to work out what sort of detecting you will be spending the majority of time on, listing what specifications you want (e.g waterproof, frequency etc) and then comparing the detectors that fit your budget. Always try to get the best one you can afford and using an official NZ dealer for the brand you want if there is one here.